Wind Dir: SW (230°)
Wind Speed: 10 knots
Wind Gust: 12 knots
AT Ps: 30.11 in (1019.5 mb)
Air Temp: 76°F (24.5°C)
Dew Point: 73°F (22.9°C)
Water Temp: 76°F (24.5°C)

another sewage spill - SaltwaterCentral.Com
There are currently 685 Guests and 61 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

another sewage spill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
killbox
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: another sewage spill Reply with quote

Came back to the WB ramp to the smell of sewage today. WB's fix did not work. with very low traffic at the ramp in the past few days theres no telling Chow long this thing has been leaking. Reported it to WB enforcement at 6:30 Courious to know when they responded. I wonder how often that patch was inspected. You can drive a truck right past it  
cwayne
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tv story on line says they found it Saturday morning. If you reported it Friday I would be calling city hall and tv stations.

Wayne Batten Agronomic Services

stuecu
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: another sewage spill Reply with quote

killbox wrote:
Came back to the WB ramp to the smell of sewage today. WB's fix did not work. with very low traffic at the ramp in the past few days theres no telling Chow long this thing has been leaking. Reported it to WB enforcement at 6:30 Courious to know when they responded. I wonder how often that patch was inspected. You can drive a truck right past it

It was a break about 6' from where the first patch was installed. They put another patch on it again Saturday night. It needs to be replaced fully, and the town will be having a meeting about it this week. Thank goodness for TA Loving getting on it immediately after it was reported.

killbox
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I talked to DMF to see when the polluted proclamation was coming out. They said WB didn't report it until Sat morning. I saw it at 4pm and reported it at 6:30 pm on Friday. And from the trench dug out thru the sand to the ICW, I would guess it flowed for at least one more day. That's like 2 days of sewage flowing into the ICW. WB did say that runoff was included in this spill but all of that was still frozen and snow runoff don't smell like that. Sounds like WB is trying to down play their 2 little disasters.  
BeeReel
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But i thought their s#!t didnt stink? Something sure smells fishy here!!

SOLD - Pearl Miner
2009 25 ft Carolina Classic
Volvo D4 300

Xplosive
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killbox wrote:
So I talked to DMF to see when the polluted proclamation was coming out. They said WB didn't report it until Sat morning. I saw it at 4pm and reported it at 6:30 pm on Friday. And from the trench dug out thru the sand to the ICW, I would guess it flowed for at least one more day. That's like 2 days of sewage flowing into the ICW. WB did say that runoff was included in this spill but all of that was still frozen and snow runoff don't smell like that. Sounds like WB is trying to down play their 2 little disasters.

Best I can find online for reporting would be the USACE at the federal level. Of course contacting the news agency to rebuttal the story and state it for fact vice letting it go. I would make the call to USACE first and then call the news agency to report their false story and ask them if they would want to air/print a correction. Fake NEWS at its best right there. Wonder if someone there is on the city council or their payroll.

From the EPA's website...

Wetlands:

Many wildlife concerns are connected with destruction of wetlands. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers determines whether an area is a wetland and issues permits for use of such an area. The permit applications are reviewed by the EPA under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act. Therefore, initial contact should be made with your nearest Army Corps of Engineers' office. To get the phone number of your local district office, phone 1-800-832-7828 or visit their website.

killbox
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMF was even notified Fri nite but WB still says it happened Sat morn. Parking meters everwhere but they wont take care of their infrastructure. They knew how old this stuff was but lets find where we can squeeze a few more park8ng meters.  
cwayne
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill of, thanks for the update and thanks for reporting the spill. Some of you know I worked for 30 years with the NC Extension Service. Most of my work was with crop farmers but I worked a lot with livestock farmers in Pender County. If a hog farmer in NC had the number of spills Wilmington and some other towns have had they would be “depopulated”. The state would require them to move all hogs out and cease operations and pay fines. I’m waiting to hear if Wilmington gets fined over this one. The spill is bad but to mis report when it occurred should cost somebody their job.

Wayne Batten Agronomic Services

Matador
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a hog farmer in NC had the number of spills Wilmington and some other towns have had they would be “depopulated”. The state would require them to move all hogs out and cease operations and pay fines.

I'm not a hog farmer but know some who are and they complain about what you mentioned. I am involved in construction. I have been threatened with stop work order and a fine just because the state thought I needed another 10 feet of silt fence. I always thought the municipalities got a "pass" compared to the private sector.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him THINK.

SeaView Fishing Services

Free Towing - Free Soft Ungroundings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: