Reefcast Paid Service - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -Ľ
Staff Online:Instant Message Site Admin Capt_DaveFind all forum posts by Capt_DaveCapt_Dave
June 17, 2018 8:40 pm EST
Wind Dir: SSW (200°)
Wind Speed: 16 knots
Wind Gust: 17 knots
AT Ps: 30.10 in (1019.4 mb)
Air Temp: 81°F (27.0°C)
Dew Point: 74°F (23.2°C)
Water Temp: 81°F (27.1°C)

There are currently 563 Guests and 86 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Reefcast Paid Service
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
kbeverley
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reefcast Paid Service Reply with quote

I guess I missed the notice that Reefcast was going to be a paid service. Bummer! And to start on the 11th of the month??? Really???  
Seadation28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw this today. Reckon I'll use the MANY OTHER FREE weather forecast site out there. I have no problem paying for fishing reports and temp services but for the weather forecast? That's insane!!  
maperry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like reefcast so i went ahead and paid my $24 for the year got the app on my phone and such, the app worked for a while and now it will not let me view reefcast, i can view it from the website on my computer. Just stinks a bit being as I paid for something i can't use. I have sent emails and called and have yet hear anything back  
paynefish
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sites can you use that provide similar data as reefcast with wind and wave forecast?

The Happy Place

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paynefish wrote:
what sites can you use that provide similar data as reefcast with wind and wave forecast?

Fishweather is a fre app and windfinder as well. There are some others but those seem to be 2 of the main ones.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

paynefish
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sir

The Happy Place

rjb
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to disagree with those of you who think the $ for this website is a "Bummer". The time and money required to keep this site on-line isc far more than most would think. If you think you can get the same quality of fishing info. on some of the other free sites, then do it. Those of us who know better will not miss you. Thanks, Ron  
kbeverley
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjb wrote:
I will have to disagree with those of you who think the $ for this website is a "Bummer". The time and money required to keep this site on-line isc far more than most would think. If you think you can get the same quality of fishing info. on some of the other free sites, then do it. Those of us who know better will not miss you. Thanks, Ron

I never said I would not pay the fee for Reefcast. As a matter of fact, I already haveI would have done so. thought there would have been a little notice that's all, but I thank you for your comments. It's kind folks like you that keep me coming back less and less.

Tight lines Ron

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjb wrote:

It's folks like you and your comment that have brought the end to many that used to share and a wealth of knowledge that used to be on this site. There are many more sites that you can get more knowledge from than here. This used to be solely a Carolina site which so many of us Carolina folks loved but as far as boating, fishing, etc there are other places. Not knocking this site at all by any means but there used to be so much more shared here.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

Capt_Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys this was announced almost a month ago.

Reefcast is NOT a rehash of the NWS or the wave watch III model. This is a model that was created maintained and run by this site and me. SeaCast is another model created, maintained and run by me.

There was also a notice at the top of reefcast that gave everyone FREE access for 2 weeks after we announced it.

I was late turning off the free access...

These things cost a ton to develop, maintain and operate. If 2 bucks a month breaks your bank....made you are in the wrong sport.

Use whatever you like. The world is changing. We will continue to develop useful tools for offshore fishing. It is my passion.....and I do not foresee that changing.

MaPerry, Call me at the number in my signature tomorrow evening and I will fix whatever is not working for you. I have been fishing everyday and doing maps all night. I get a little busy sometimes and it is hard to keep up.

Captain Dave Tilley

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters
Morehead City Fishing Charters

Bharbaugh
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt_Dave wrote:

Reefcast is NOT a rehash of the NWS or the wave watch III model. This is a model that was created maintained and run by this site and me. SeaCast is another model created, maintained and run by me.

There was also a notice at the top of reefcast that gave everyone FREE access for 2 weeks after we announced it.

These things cost a ton to develop, maintain and operate. If 2 bucks a month breaks your bank....made you are in the wrong sport.

Use whatever you like. The world is changing. We will continue to develop useful tools for offshore fishing. It is my passion.....and I do not foresee that changing.

MaPerry, Call me at the number in my signature tomorrow evening and I will fix whatever is not working for you. I have been fishing everyday and doing maps all night. I get a little busy sometimes and it is hard to keep up.

Captain Dave Tilley

And you don't answer texts. I'm hurt.

But seriously is the phone app going to get a secondary wave?

1982 McKee 17 / 150 Evinrude

GF16 Bateau Home made \"little Kinky\"
15 Nissan

flatbottom
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted May 10th right here in On The Hill:

Couple Important Changes coming....PLEASE READ
facebook.com/redbuoyinvestments

Capt_Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bharbaugh wrote:
Capt_Dave wrote:

Captain Dave Tilley

And you don't answer texts. I'm hurt.

But seriously is the phone app going to get a secondary wave?

It has it....update your app

Dave

maperry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do, thanks capt dave  
kbeverley
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt_Dave wrote:

Captain Dave Tilley

Dave,

Thanks for the reply, I mean it sincerely. That is one of the things I like about your service. You own it and you respond to it when needed. Like I said, I missed the announcement about the subscription. As a very frequent flyer on reefcast, I immediately bought the subscription and will continue to do so as well as purchase your Fish Here maps as well. You provide a valuable service to us the fishermen and I am grateful.

Keep up the good work.

Keith Beverley
Little River Sportfishing

Seadation28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand that it cost to run a site and offer services. Iíve never had problems paying for temp charts and fish here maps but something just doesnít sit well paying for a weather forecast. Iíll probably crack and pay the dang $ bc I have used reefcast for years and I do like it but again, paying $ for a weather forecast is a bit...ugh... ridiculous. Just smells like a $ grab opportunity. IMO  
FatJax

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, 'll sign up and pay tomorrow, social media is killing the forums. I used to post reports, pictures, vids and cricket noise. why spend the time if no one cares about the reports and use of a site like this. may I suggest adding more data to the subscription in addition to just wind and wave?  
DOGKILLR
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I don't blame Dave. When I work, I expect to get paid. 2 bucks a month ain't bad to be able to see what's going on out there. May even save you a couple hundred in gas by staying on the high ground when it's rougher than hell out there. We all know that fishing ain't cheap. Think of it as a small bag of ice a month.....that doesn't melt.  
Capt_Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadation28 wrote:
paying $ for a weather forecast is a bit...ugh... ridiculous. Just smells like a $ grab opportunity. IMO

Ah man...you've got me....I'm busted. We only gave it away for what?...15 years....I better make a quick buck while I can!

ReefCast is a MODEL that we run inhouse. It is not just some pretty graphics ontop of the NWS forecast. Servers and Servers security cost money. Apps cost money. Development costs money. Simple as that.

Dave

Capt_Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatJax wrote:
may I suggest adding more data to the subscription in addition to just wind and wave?

What else would you like to see? I am all ears and open to suggestions.

The APP has...
ReefCast
ReefCast w/extra wave data
ReefCast Ensemble
NWS Forecasts
Buoy Reports

Dave

TandT
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paid for my subscription yesterday. Thanks for all you do Captain Dave. That secondary wave information has saved my tail more than one time.

SEAHORSE
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really got no dog in this fight, but Bitchin about $24.00 for one of the best offshore sites Iíve ever used sounds pretty silly. Paying for a marine weather for cast? Try tracking Reefcast and NMWF for a few weeks and see who gets it right more often. You need to live in the stream for forty plus years and get your ass beat more times than I can remember to pay a lot more than $24.00
to go or stay home. Just my .02

TandT
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAHORSE wrote:
Really got no dog in this fight, but Bitchin about $24.00 for one of the best offshore sites Iíve ever used sounds pretty silly. Paying for a marine weather for cast? Try tracking Reefcast and NMWF for a few weeks and see who gets it right more often. You need to live in the stream for forty plus years and get your ass beat more times than I can remember to pay a lot more than $24.00
to go or stay home. Just my .02

You mean "just your .07" a day, give me a break. I mean some people still think a cup of coffee is worth $4.00.
Like i said before until i discovered the handy dandy additional wave info i got it handed to me going to the stream.

FatJax

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt_Dave wrote:
FatJax wrote:
may I suggest adding more data to the subscription in addition to just wind and wave?

The APP has...
ReefCast
ReefCast Ensemble
NWS Forecasts
Buoy Reports

Dave

Whew, I feel better... I can see reefcast again lol I don't know, I only use the ensemble function. mix in a little of the water clarity stuff, I don't fish much far off shore, I guess I don't really need anything else, but I do go to the rigs once in a while. How about a limited (something like 7 days) water clarity view and all that.

Bilzo
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it when it was free. Haven't ponied up the money yet for the paid service because I really only need it about 4-5X a year.

I have no problem with it now being a pay service; that's completely his choice. Probably will pony up the cash in the future, but I'm more likely to do it just before my next fishing trip.
Ain't no need to start the clock on an annual subscription when my next planned trip offshore isn't until late august!

Curmudgeon
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just smells like a $ grab opportunity. IMO

Let me get this straight, you got something (that costs money and time to develope, maintain, and improve) for free, now you're complaining because it costs money. Use it, don't use it, but quit whining about it! IMO ... hmph

FullSpecdrum
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for covering the cost and effort for as long as you did.

For those complaining, I'll just assume you are left wing liberals who think everything should be handed out for free since that is the stance a few of you are taking on this issue. He's offered this for free for a long time and has decided to charge a small fee for it going forward. Instead of saying thank you, you whine and complain. Typical liberals.

Capt_Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatJax wrote:
Capt_Dave wrote:
FatJax wrote:

The APP has...
ReefCast
ReefCast Ensemble
NWS Forecasts
Buoy Reports

Dave

Whew, I feel better... I can see reefcast again lol I don't know, I only use the ensemble function. mix in a little of the water clarity stuff, I don't fish much far off shore, I guess I don't really need anything else, but I do go to the rigs once in a while. How about a limited (something like 7 days) water clarity view and all that.

That is currently in Bluewater Superman. ReefCast is just weather info. I MIGHT put tides in it at some point. I have no plans to make an app for that at this time.

Dave

WildCard
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reefcast Cash Grab ??????? Reply with quote

Take it for what it's worth. I've been making a living on the salty pond since 1978, not that experience matters these days. But I pull up Reefcast every day, because the info contained effects my daily life out there. Is it 100% correct, nope but it has been the very best at showing me the weather trend of the up coming week. It is just another tool to keep you and your crew safe. Yes I signed up, gladly. I don't expect something for nothing, good work Dave!  
mullet
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real fisherman donít look at the weather they just gotta go...  

Stormwater BMP Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: