Wind Gust: 17 knots
AT Ps: 30.18 in (1021.9 mb)
Air Temp: 80°F (26.8°C)
Dew Point: 74°F (23.4°C)
Water Temp: 82°F (27.5°C)

Question about FinNor reels - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Question about FinNor reels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> Buy, Sell or Trade....
GrouperGroupie
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Question about FinNor reels Reply with quote

I am just curious about the quality of those reels since they are now owned by Zebco? I do not associate Zebco with quality but I have not ever used the Fin Nor's. Your comments please and thank you.

spanishking
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lethal Lt 100 has been a great reel, my handle busted on me today, but it has served me well over 2 years as a jack/grouper reel. The thing takes a beating every time its used and does not complain. I'd buy mine again without a second thought.  
cbwhite
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 25's'30's and many spinning reels, They are abut all I that fish. I was turned on to them a few years from a friend of mine that is a charter boat captain in Key West.

Titan
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Lethal 30 2 speed and the Lethal 30 single speed. I bottom fish with them. 80lb Braid and 100lb leader. They waste no time getting the fish off the bottom. Prices are not too bad either. Have used my LTL30II for about three years now. Never had any issues. Pulled up countless Bottom fish and many Grouper on it as well.  
chumbucket
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lethals are good light to medium use reels with stout drag. All reels will fail eventually, you tend to get what you pay for. Had my lethal 100 spinner break twice with light to moderate use- once the reel seat snapped, once the handle snapped. Have seen others suffer the same fate. Not a bad reel, but not built to last IMO. Not condemning the whole brand/line of reels, just sharing my thoughts that a low entry price reel isn't gonna last as long as heavy duty offerings (saragosa, stradic, etc)

Capt_Rich
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother is on the third year with the lethals. Compared to my toriums (first gen with anti reverse upgrades) I think they are a better real. The new toriums of which he has is about the same. These are fished comerically roughly 3-5k# of groundfish a year. My toriums will now last the season with the upgraded anti reverse(it clicks now). These reels occasionally see a giant tuna or sharks 200-500# about 1 in 4 trips.
For rec purposes they will last a lifetime with proper care. I have 8 years on my toriums with 10 complete rebuilds.
I also have the 80w santiago's for gbft. I have 11 fish to 600 core on one and a few on the others. Still on factory bearings and drags. I did a tear down before they were fished greased everything and no issues running 35#s of strike drag and 52 of full. I have to put my boat in reverse to use full effectively.

Titan
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably stay away from the spinning reels. Seems like they have a tendency to break at the handle or the section going to the mount. Like I said, I have the Conventional lever drags Lethal 30II, Lethal 30 and they both have been working well for three years. I also have the Marquesa MA30 2 speed and I like that reel a lot. Its seems to pull the fish off the bottom fast without a lot of effort. Whenever I first started using it, I had to watch it because the swivel would be at the rod tip before I knew it. These reels are mainly used for my "boat" rods that I let people use when they go fishing with me and don't have any gear or as a spare in case something happens to one of my other reels.  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> Buy, Sell or Trade.... All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: