July 22, 2018 7:10 am EST
Wind Dir: SSW (210°)
Wind Speed: 12 knots
Wind Gust: 14 knots
Air Temp: 81°F (27.3°C)
Dew Point: 76°F (24.4°C)
Water Temp: 81°F (27.1°C)

Bluewater Super Map and ReefCast - SaltwaterCentral.Com
There are currently 661 Guests and 80 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Bluewater Super Map and ReefCast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
David_Paff
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Bluewater Super Map and ReefCast Reply with quote

Should be back up and running now.  
willyfastz
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain the secondary info in this SS?

kicker30
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willyfastz wrote:

After Friday morning there isnít a secondary wave predicted until late Sunday night into early Monday morning. The couple random secondary direction dots just after midnight Saturday night would indicate that the model picked up on a very very slight chance of that wind building enough to start to kick up a secondary but with no period showing then I would consider it to be just a very slight surface chop/ripple and to be negligible enough to ignore, I mean the wind isnít even showing to build above about 7 knots. It like about as good of a forecast as you can hope for.

Lunchmoney
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Kicker said is spot on... It means go fishing!  
PirateJuan
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kicker30 wrote:
willyfastz wrote:

After Friday morning there isnít a secondary wave predicted until late Sunday night into early Monday morning. The couple random secondary direction dots just after midnight Saturday night would indicate that the model picked up on a very very slight chance of that wind building enough to start to kick up a secondary but with no period showing then I would consider it to be just a very slight surface chop/ripple and to be negligible enough to ignore, I mean the wind isnít even showing to build above about 7 knots. It like about as good of a forecast as you can hope for.

So how do primary/secondary waves translate to the actual surface environment. i.e. if you were sitting in the boat keeping track of the swell and period, how does that translate?

If the buoy is reading 2.6ft 8sec, with a secondary wave of 1ft 4sec, how often are you hopping a wave sitting still?

willyfastz
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kicker30 wrote:
willyfastz wrote:

Thank you. Been using Reef cast for a while but never used the secondary info.

kicker30
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PirateJuan wrote:
kicker30 wrote:
willyfastz wrote:

So how do primary/secondary waves translate to the actual surface environment. i.e. if you were sitting in the boat keeping track of the swell and period, how does that translate?

If the buoy is reading 2.6ft 8sec, with a secondary wave of 1ft 4sec, how often are you hopping a wave sitting still?

Sitting still you will feel exactly what the bouy readings are for the primary at least. The secondary is harder to say for sure, as it will vary depending on its direction and how itís wave cycle ends up aligning with that of the primary. In general though, the presence of a secondary is going to = sloppy seas. Also, for the primary, once you get beyond negligible height surface chop type waves, you will want to see a period that is a multiple of the height, some folks (myself included) will consider a period that is twice the height - 3í@6 sec, 4í@8 sec, etc - while others (probably those wiser and more cautious than myself and people that live at the beach and can pick the very best days) wonít consider anything less than a factor of 3 - 3@9, 4@12, etc.

Last edited by kicker30 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Capt_Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys....I am running damn near every day. This is a long involved topic and I simply do not have time to do it justice at the moment. I will reply once I get a day or two off

For the moment this is the best I can do....

http://saltwatercentral.com/How-to-use-ReefCast-page-5.html

Dave

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters
Morehead City Fishing Charters

PirateJuan
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kicker30 wrote:
PirateJuan wrote:
kicker30 wrote:
willyfastz wrote:

Sitting still you will feel exactly what the bouy readings are for the primary at least. The secondary is harder to say for sure, as it will vary depending on its direction and how itís wave cycle ends up aligning with that of the primary. In general though, the presence of a secondary is going to = sloppy seas. Also, for the primary, once you get beyond negligible height surface chop type waves, you will want to see a period that is a multiple of the height, some folks (myself included) will consider a period that is twice the height - 3í@6 sec, 4í@8 sec, etc - while others (probably those wiser and more cautious than myself and people that live at the beach and can pick the very best days) wonít consider anything less than a factor of 3 - 3@9, 4@12, etc.

Yeah I get the primary reading. I'm generally a multiple of 3 guy with my little Scout. Thanks for the info on the secondary.

Onslow Bay Boatworks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: