I didnt want to do this BUT!!!!

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -»
Staff Online:
I didnt want to do this BUT!!!!
I didnt want to do this BUT!!!!
I didnt want to do this BUT!!!!
March 30, 2017 8:10 am EDT
Location: 33.436N 77.743W
Wind Dir: E (80°)
Wind Speed: 12 knots
Wind Gust: 17 knots
AT Ps: 30.09 in (1019.0 mb)
Air Temp: 69°F (20.7°C)
Dew Point: 55°F (12.5°C)
Water Temp: 74°F (23.4°C)

I didnt want to do this BUT!!!!
There are currently 827 Guests and 173 Members online NOW!
A - 1 , NC - 114 , SC - 21 , GA - 5 , EFL - 1 , WFL - 4 , SFL - 1 , AL - 3 , LA - 7 , TX - 4 ,

 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

I didnt want to do this BUT!!!!
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Author Message
SEAHORSE
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: May 02, 2008
Posts: 1103
Location: Carolina Beach

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: I didnt want to do this BUT!!!! Reply with quote

I don't like making public comments on public forums about things folks do that I personally think are so foolish, but I just cant help myself tonight. Ive fished offshore and the stream for over fifty years. Seen so many accidents while out there with guys getting cut, fish hooks in them instead of the fish, sinking so fast you just blinked and there gone in less than a minuet, that it never ceases to amaze me the decisions people make about fishing alone.
I totally understand how all of a sudden your find out your off tomorrow and the forecast is great, you call everyone you can think of and nobody can go. Soooooo you think about how bad you want to fish, how you can do this alone and have done it before and decide I'm going ALONE. The few other times you did the same thing and had no issues, actually feeling pretty darn good you caught all of those fish while driving the boat rigging baits reeling and gaffing ALL BYE YOURSELF.!!! Sadly your number's coming up and you just don't see it your success rate fishing alone has reinforced the feeling it's no big deal.
I fished today 60 miles from CB Inlet. Left at 5:00 AM and saw one target on the radar the whole trip out. Watched this target behind me all the way out and as the sun came up saw the boat that had been heading my way appear at first light. It was a 24 ft single outboard center console with one repeat one person on board.
Now it was a pretty calm ride I must say but it is almost December and the buddy boat concept goes away fast during the week and Ive fished numerous days never seeing another boat out there all day to call if something happens and you need help. Just part of winter fishing but we all want to go.
I don't know this person although I do know that he reads and post on Salt Water Central. I don't want to sound like a know it all, but hope that nothing bad ever happens due to really bad judgement fishing alone in the stream like this. Saw a guy and his son about 12 years old at the Same Ole in a bay boat few years back same thing. Five gallon fuel cans on deck to have enough to get home and what if the forecast was wrong and it started blowing hard. I am sure if they had a wife or children and realized just how dangerous their decisions were , they would hopefully try and find crew or just say " think I'll skip it today".
I encourage everyone to read the article Dave left up as a sticky for about four years now about a guy who made a decision to fish alone one day when he couldn't find crew on short notice and fell overboard setting his outriggers. Came up bobbing behind his boat watching it troll to the stream on auto pilot. I just can't imaging how he felt and thinking I really Fu%k up this time. Luckily boat was spotted by two knowledgeable guys who jumped aboard and were able to find him treading water by tracking back on his plotter line.
OK so I feel a little better and do not wish to call anyone out but please think hard about the next time you cant get crew and think you will be fine going alone. Some of us actually dont even try and get crew because we like fishing alone and I get it!!!!! Bad s*&t happens so fast and then it's too late. Just my .02 and I hope I haven't offended anyone.
_________________
Think I will change the name of my boat to Livin The Dream!!
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aftergolf
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Mar 08, 2004
Posts: 2019

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we saw the same guy near us on Friday at the Devils Hole, small CC ~24' with one guy on board. We all said we hope he gets home ok.
_________________
SeaHunter 35 CC
186 Sailfish
17 Mitzi Skiff
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jun 26, 2006
Posts: 3065

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish alone all the time. Aside from a medical emergency like a heart attack, there's nothing out there that a second person would be able to help much with. A second person isn't going to keep the weather from kicking up, or a mechanical or electrical problem, or even a swamping. In some, if not many, cases they could actually end up being a hindrance.  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rockhound
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jan 05, 2008
Posts: 901
Location: wilmington

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavescrash wrote:
I fish alone all the time. Aside from a medical emergency like a heart attack, there's nothing out there that a second person would be able to help much with. A second person isn't going to keep the weather from kicking up, or a mechanical or electrical problem, or even a swamping. In some, if not many, cases they could actually end up being a hindrance.

Scenario........What if you go to gaff that monster hoo that decides to to try for freedom one more time when you stick him,Slip on deck and over you go,Game over!Way to many variables out there.I use to grouper fish with my dog all the time,Just us.But you wont catch me out there by myself.Not to mention.its just too damn much work!
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fireman07
Mate
Mate


Joined: Jun 01, 2016
Posts: 19
Location: MHC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: solo tripping Reply with quote

This is not a rant but good solid advice from years of experience. Thank you sir for caring about the welfare of others. "to those who have ears let them listen".  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarlinManiac
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jun 02, 2007
Posts: 1360
Location: Belville NC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Fireman on this one. Well done Seahorse. The time you spent writing your thoughts on the subject just might save someone's life.
_________________
“Money cant buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.” - David Lee Roth
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chumbucket
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Oct 11, 2010
Posts: 1807
Location: Hampstead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make good points Seahorse. I don't see this as an absolute 'no-no'. Fishing alone is not for newbies or ill-prepared, but not that risky if you are experienced and take precautions.

I fish alone about once a month. Not because I can't find crew, but because I enjoy it. Usually my most enjoyable trip of the month. No pressure to put guys on fish. Freedom to 'waste time' trying to techniques or new areas. No need for small talk. Good time to be alone with my thoughts, etc. I take as many precautions as I can- wear an offshore vest the whole time with PLB attached and autotether tied to me.

Sure, there are accidents that can and do happen on boats. There is some inherent risk to going offshore alone. For me, the reward outweighs the risk. To each their own.
_________________
Shenanigans
Onslow Bay 27
Dual 350 Verados
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Capt_Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: Mar 29, 2004
Posts: 11456
Location: Cape Fear, NC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to agree with Tom but with that said....We are all BIG BOYS here..but I would ask that you read this thread.....

http://saltwatercentral.com/ftopict-2700.html

Dave
_________________
Captain Dave Tilley
SaltwaterCentral.Com
Carolina Beach, NC
910-458-3145

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Back-Lash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Dec 15, 2004
Posts: 3003
Location: Sneads Ferry NC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chumbucket wrote:
You make good points Seahorse. I don't see this as an absolute 'no-no'. Fishing alone is not for newbies or ill-prepared, but not that risky if you are experienced and take precautions.

I fish alone about once a month. Not because I can't find crew, but because I enjoy it. Usually my most enjoyable trip of the month. No pressure to put guys on fish. Freedom to 'waste time' trying to techniques or new areas. No need for small talk. Good time to be alone with my thoughts, etc. I take as many precautions as I can- wear an offshore vest the whole time with PLB attached and autotether tied to me.

Sure, there are accidents that can and do happen on boats. There is some inherent risk to going offshore alone. For me, the reward outweighs the risk. To each their own.


I am right there with you Chum many times just me and my mutt
_________________
USCG Master Captain
####2016 #1 SKA Division 9 Single Engine ###
####1 SKA Division 9 Senior Angler
### 2015 SKA National Champion
#3 2015 & 2014 SKA Division 9
300 4 stroke Yamaha Powered 23ft Contender
American Heart Association , USCG
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Oct 08, 2015
Posts: 153
Location: Winston Salem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seahorse, i appreciate the time you put in to your post as there are alot of newbies that have just taken the plunge to offshore fishing and think there is no difference in being 5 miles or 50 miles out. Truth is, i was that newbie once and i learned the hard way. I hope any beginner takes your post to heart before deciding to go out alone. With that being said i will also have to agree with some others. A second person wont keep the motor from stalling, electrical frying, boat from sinking. Personally, if something bad was to happen i would rather myself be the only one in danger instead of dragging others down with me. I do enjoy my alone time fishing where im not trying to put everyone on fish etc. I do take every possible precaution when i do go though. Obviously you can only take so many as you cant prepare for a heart attack, bad injury etc where a second person could drive the boat back or call for help when you cant but that risk should be taken in to consideration. When going out alone, I ALWAYS leave a fishing plan with someone as to the general area ill be fishing and when i plan to return. Use common sence and dont outjudge your experience level.
_________________
23\' Winner Cuddy Sport 225HP Honda
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bjsc21
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jun 12, 2008
Posts: 318

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish a lot by myself. Sometimes, especially on Fridays, I'll get down to the beach and if the weather is nice make a decision to go immediately. Run out 10-15 miles and fish til dark. I get to fish some really beautiful days that otherwise would get wasted. I'm not much of a risk taking guy but sometimes you take risks to do the things you love.  

Last edited by bjsc21 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jun 26, 2006
Posts: 3065

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockhound wrote:
wavescrash wrote:
I fish alone all the time. Aside from a medical emergency like a heart attack, there's nothing out there that a second person would be able to help much with. A second person isn't going to keep the weather from kicking up, or a mechanical or electrical problem, or even a swamping. In some, if not many, cases they could actually end up being a hindrance.

Scenario........What if you go to gaff that monster hoo that decides to to try for freedom one more time when you stick him,Slip on deck and over you go,Game over!Way to many variables out there.I use to grouper fish with my dog all the time,Just us.But you wont catch me out there by myself.Not to mention.its just too damn much work!


Well, I don't troll by myself because I don't have auto pilot (yet) and setting lines without one is too much of a pain in the butt. However, that scenario is what an Auto Tether is for. And if I can swim in full duck gear holding my shotgun over my head I'm pretty sure I can catch a drifting boat.

But, I'm guessing I'm in a lot better physical shape than most here.

I'm also careful. If a big fish isn't completely tuckered out laying on its side I'm not trying to rush the gaff job regardless of whether I'm alone or not. Heck, I know somebody who's Dad tried to help him get a big wahoo in the boat and instead just managed to get in the way and the result was a cut to the thigh that required stitches. More help is not always helpful.

I truly do not understand why someone would think "I hope that guy gets home okay" just because he's by himself. Does someone being alone magically make their boat less reliable or the weather more capricious?

The biggest reasons I take someone else along are because it is someone who doesn't get to go often or to be able to keep more fish (limits for one person can make the daily take home pretty small).

Chum hits the nail on the head with all the reasons I like to fish by myself.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steve-a
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Dec 09, 2005
Posts: 289
Location: Wilmington

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those idiot's that has been through a bad situation.

I was heading from Edisto Beach to Wilmington offshore alone in a 46 sportfisherman on my way back from Key Largo.

As I was passing Charleston about 30 miles offshore I started getting a pain in my back, and then down my left arm, that quickly went from bad to worse very quickly.

Within 30 minutes I was curled up on the bridge in a fetal position in more pain than I can describe, puking, and trying to communicate by radio with the Coast Guard while drifting.

I was evac'ed shortly after and a crew took the boat to Charleston.

As it turned out it was a kidney issue, and not heart related, but it was a wake up call for me. It could have been a lot worse because it was an hour plus from the time I started feeling bad until I was headed to the ambulance.

I'm not saying I will never be alone, but I can say I will never be way offshore alone again, as there's too much that can happen.

Heath issues are just one of many disasters that can happen in the big ocean, and it's just not worth the risk for me, but may be for others.
_________________
Steve
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DOGKILLR
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jan 31, 2013
Posts: 879
Location: Mooresville, NC and Harkers Island

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never fish alone. Don't get along with myself that good.  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coastwx
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Posts: 355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great discussion for the newer offshore fishermen, and a good reminder for the more experienced. I was bold with the first boat (18' CC) 18 years ago. Took it out often by myself 10-15 miles, trolling, bottom fishing, etc. Then got in with my brother-in-law and his Bertram for real offshore trips, gaining experience, etc. The two of us took the Bertram because others could not make it. He had just lubed the outriggers and sure enough, off the side in an instant 40 miles out with a boat heading away from me. Even with him, it was hard to get back in. That made a real impression of how quick fun could turn into a tragedy. Like others, I enjoyed a trip here and there by myself to just chill and not worry about anything. Now, I only do that inshore. When I move back up to a bigger boat in 5 years I may fish alone, but it will be warm water and within 5-10 miles and will probably take the paddleboard for emergency.  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
finfulpleasure
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Apr 10, 2009
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavescrash wrote:
rockhound wrote:
wavescrash wrote:
I fish alone all the time. Aside from a medical emergency like a heart attack, there's nothing out there that a second person would be able to help much with. A second person isn't going to keep the weather from kicking up, or a mechanical or electrical problem, or even a swamping. In some, if not many, cases they could actually end up being a hindrance.

Scenario........What if you go to gaff that monster hoo that decides to to try for freedom one more time when you stick him,Slip on deck and over you go,Game over!Way to many variables out there.I use to grouper fish with my dog all the time,Just us.But you wont catch me out there by myself.Not to mention.its just too damn much work!


Well, I don't troll by myself because I don't have auto pilot (yet) and setting lines without one is too much of a pain in the butt. However, that scenario is what an Auto Tether is for. And if I can swim in full duck gear holding my shotgun over my head I'm pretty sure I can catch a drifting boat.

But, I'm guessing I'm in a lot better physical shape than most here.

I'm also careful. If a big fish isn't completely tuckered out laying on its side I'm not trying to rush the gaff job regardless of whether I'm alone or not. Heck, I know somebody who's Dad tried to help him get a big wahoo in the boat and instead just managed to get in the way and the result was a cut to the thigh that required stitches. More help is not always helpful.

I truly do not understand why someone would think "I hope that guy gets home okay" just because he's by himself. Does someone being alone magically make their boat less reliable or the weather more capricious?

The biggest reasons I take someone else along are because it is someone who doesn't get to go often or to be able to keep more fish (limits for one person can make the daily take home pretty small).

Chum hits the nail on the head with all the reasons I like to fish by myself.


I wouldn't ASSUME you can catch a drifting boat even if you are in pretty good shape. If your boat is drifting @ 4kts you would have to be almost as fast as Michael Phelps to catch it.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lwr37
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Sep 22, 2010
Posts: 2429
Location: Wilmington

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chumbucket wrote:
You make good points Seahorse. I don't see this as an absolute 'no-no'. Fishing alone is not for newbies or ill-prepared, but not that risky if you are experienced and take precautions.

I fish alone about once a month. Not because I can't find crew, but because I enjoy it. Usually my most enjoyable trip of the month. No pressure to put guys on fish. Freedom to 'waste time' trying to techniques or new areas. No need for small talk. Good time to be alone with my thoughts, etc. I take as many precautions as I can- wear an offshore vest the whole time with PLB attached and autotether tied to me.

Sure, there are accidents that can and do happen on boats. There is some inherent risk to going offshore alone. For me, the reward outweighs the risk. To each their own.


I thought your favorite trip of the month is when I came along.
_________________
Larry R.
Sadie J
www.cecable.com
larryrowland@cecable.com
704-488-6607
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chumbucket
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Oct 11, 2010
Posts: 1807
Location: Hampstead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always enjoy fishing with you buddy pals
_________________
Shenanigans
Onslow Bay 27
Dual 350 Verados
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
baytro23
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Feb 20, 2009
Posts: 663
Location: Raleigh/Surf City

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish alone occasionally but have not gone past about 25 miles. Once I was light lining (2 lines) live cigars and of course one of them got in a prop. I tilted the motor up and jumped over the transom onto the bracket. I immediately turned around and jumped back into the boat realizing how stupid that was. I tied a rope around myself them went back out there to free the line.

I know accidents can happen but I won't say I'll never go way out alone. Over the past 5 yrs I have taken extra precautions to be safer while alone and if I have a crew. I've gone from single to twin power, I've added a 2nd VHF, I've added a raft, I've got a chartplotter, a gps, and a battery operated gps. (and a compass). I carry tools and parts and knowhow.

All I can say is if you go offshore alone or with someone be as prepared as you can be. Life is dangerous. I fly small planes too. That ain't the safest thing in the world either.

When I die people will say that I lived life. My wife makes sure my life insurance stays paid up. roll I'm staying alive to spite her. lol
_________________
1981 Master Marine GoodGo28 * twin Honda 225 \'s
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bharbaugh
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jun 20, 2007
Posts: 474
Location: Raleigh / Harkers Island

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I feel like I am alone even when I have souls on board.

I actually fell in a couple of months ago while setting the anchor 28 miles out. I had my wife, sister in law and nephew. It made me think about fishing alone. Usually when I do I put a 50 foot line out the back just in case, wear my Epirb and PFD.

I probably would have had better chances if I was alone that day. My wife threw in a Sea Bass right in front of me as I was swimming around the boat and my nephew and sis in law were blocking my entry up the ladder. It was a royal mess. I had the SS anchor ring in my hand and was preparing to install it on my anchor ball. It is still 28 miles out.

But I try hard not to fish alone. The pure facts are Im not 27 and bulletproof anymore.

Im sure my lab wishes I didn't fish alone because she gets tired of listening to me.
_________________
244CC Key West Bluwater \"SWELL TIME\"
Twin 150 Yamaha\'s

1982 McKee 17 / 150 Evinrude

GF16 Bateau Home made \"little Kinky\"
15 Nissan
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angelescrest
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: May 23, 2014
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wearable EPIRB and you're good to go! I can think of a lot of dangerous things, motorcycles, private aircraft, driving a car, eating southern food...  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wampler24
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Mar 01, 2012
Posts: 504
Location: Danville VA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is always a good idea to have someone with you but I also think I am probably just as likely to get t-boned and killed while on the way to the ramps. I'm boat-less at the moment so a car crash is much more likely anyway.

I fly airplanes like someone else mentioned above. Single engine at night is a great ride but a scary thought. Add in IMC conditions and well, boating looks as safe as sitting in the rocking chair. Point is, you can choose to stay at home and that may very well be the smartest thing but your home could be hit by a metor while watching the game.

Point is, I prepare the best I can, I make sure I am mentally prepared and planned but I don't let the fear of something stop me from achieving something I would like to do. I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at Oak Island.... Being in the ocean in the winter alone would suck bad but if I wanted to fish and no one would go with me, I can't say I would stay on the hill if I thought me and the boat were fully prepared as possible.
_________________
2011 211CC Key West
150 Yamaha - I already want a bigger boat.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Noworries79
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Nov 14, 2008
Posts: 470

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Seahorse. Thanks for posting.

I have had some fun days offshore alone, but one reason I go is to experience the trip with people.
_________________
You don\'t know if you don\'t go

Key West 2020WA Yamaha F200
Stratos 250V

Team Rojo
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RGP759
Deck Hand
Deck Hand


Joined: Nov 08, 2011
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I appreciate the time and effort you put into writing your post. However, as I am the person to whom your post referred, I feel a need to respond. While fishing alone does have some inherent dangers associated with it, so does driving your car down the road. To me, it's more a matter of how the risks are evaluated and how they are mitigated that makes the difference. I won't get into a discussion of a single versus twin engines, as that has been debated ad nauseum on this and other forums. What is important as stated above, is the recognition of the risks, and how they are mitigated. Proper maintenance, safety equipment and knowledge properly applied reduce the risks to an acceptable level in my judgement. While I cannot claim to have 50 years of experience in fishing the Gulf Stream, I do have knowledge of my vessel, as well as its and my own capabilities.

As others have stated, fishing alone is a personal choice, and statistically much less dangerous than many other activities. The guy that smokes is at a statistically higher risk for something bad happening to him than those of us that fish alone. If I understand you correctly, no one would ever fish, hike or hunt in any area remote alone. While I don't have your 50 years of Gulf Stream fishing, I do have 40+ years of hunting, fishing and trapping in areas where you may not see another individual for a week, and other than sat phones or Ham radio, there are no communications. Awareness of and preparation for potential failure modes are just part of the everyday activities when relying upon oneself.

For those of us that choose to fish alone, it's a choice made to enjoy our passion in quiet solitude. Many people do not, and never will understand the position, but that is their choice as well. So instead of berating us, accept that we have the same rights as you do to enjoy our pastime on our own terms. I could very easily go into the times when a 40+ foot sportfisherman or multi-engine CC with several crew members has either cut across my spread or come within an unreasonable distance of closure when I have been fighting a fish. I just figure they are jealous because I am putting fish in the box, and let it go at that.

In conclusion, while the desire and/or choice to fish alone does not fit your personal criteria, understand that for those that do make the choice, and have analyzed and mitigated the associated risks to a personally acceptable level, may prefer to do so. May I suggest instead of pointing out how "dangerous" we are being on an open forum, use your 50 years of experience to ask questions directly to them to help point out a potentially overlooked risk that needs mitigation person to person. Hopefully, we are all learning everyday and putting that knowledge to its appropriate use.

I look forward to your response.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DOGKILLR
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jan 31, 2013
Posts: 879
Location: Mooresville, NC and Harkers Island

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bharbaugh wrote:
Sometimes I feel like I am alone even when I have souls on board.

I actually fell in a couple of months ago while setting the anchor 28 miles out. I had my wife, sister in law and nephew. It made me think about fishing alone. Usually when I do I put a 50 foot line out the back just in case, wear my Epirb and PFD.

I probably would have had better chances if I was alone that day. My wife threw in a Sea Bass right in front of me as I was swimming around the boat and my nephew and sis in law were blocking my entry up the ladder. It was a royal mess. I had the SS anchor ring in my hand and was preparing to install it on my anchor ball. It is still 28 miles out.

But I try hard not to fish alone. The pure facts are Im not 27 and bulletproof anymore.

Im sure my lab wishes I didn't fish alone because she gets tired of listening to me.


Drunk again?
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SEAHORSE
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: May 02, 2008
Posts: 1103
Location: Carolina Beach

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGP759 wrote:
Tom,

I appreciate the time and effort you put into writing your post. However, as I am the person to whom your post referred, I feel a need to respond. While fishing alone does have some inherent dangers associated with it, so does driving your car down the road. To me, it's more a matter of how the risks are evaluated and how they are mitigated that makes the difference. I won't get into a discussion of a single versus twin engines, as that has been debated ad nauseum on this and other forums. What is important as stated above, is the recognition of the risks, and how they are mitigated. Proper maintenance, safety equipment and knowledge properly applied reduce the risks to an acceptable level in my judgement. While I cannot claim to have 50 years of experience in fishing the Gulf Stream, I do have knowledge of my vessel, as well as its and my own capabilities.

As others have stated, fishing alone is a personal choice, and statistically much less dangerous than many other activities. The guy that smokes is at a statistically higher risk for something bad happening to him than those of us that fish alone. If I understand you correctly, no one would ever fish, hike or hunt in any area remote alone. While I don't have your 50 years of Gulf Stream fishing, I do have 40+ years of hunting, fishing and trapping in areas where you may not see another individual for a week, and other than sat phones or Ham radio, there are no communications. Awareness of and preparation for potential failure modes are just part of the everyday activities when relying upon oneself.

For those of us that choose to fish alone, it's a choice made to enjoy our passion in quiet solitude. Many people do not, and never will understand the position, but that is their choice as well. So instead of berating us, accept that we have the same rights as you do to enjoy our pastime on our own terms. I could very easily go into the times when a 40+ foot sportfisherman or multi-engine CC with several crew members has either cut across my spread or come within an unreasonable distance of closure when I have been fighting a fish. I just figure they are jealous because I am putting fish in the box, and let it go at that.

In conclusion, while the desire and/or choice to fish alone does not fit your personal criteria, understand that for those that do make the choice, and have analyzed and mitigated the associated risks to a personally acceptable level, may prefer to do so. May I suggest instead of pointing out how "dangerous" we are being on an open forum, use your 50 years of experience to ask questions directly to them to help point out a potentially overlooked risk that needs mitigation person to person. Hopefully, we are all learning everyday and putting that knowledge to its appropriate use.

I look forward to your response.


I'm so happy when the wind blows for a week and we all get a chance to share our thoughts. lmao First let me say that I was thinking as I wrote this, I was probably going to regret it but what the hell!!! I hope you don't feel I was attacking you personally and if so I'm sorry. Were all big boys and get to make our own decisions. Yes I too was a fish alone guy many times when younger. Not in the stream but local three four miles off at least three days a week when I could get out. Since you probably feel my saying that my " 50 years of experience " comment made me an expert was rubbing salt was not for any other reason except to share that I've seen my portion of sad accidents. It's also allowed me to see a lot of accidents that could have been avoided, like three guys Giant Tuna fishing up north next to me 35 miles offshore that got their anchor rope in the wheels pulling the ball in a 25 knot N East wind and spun around them around and got pulled under and sunk in less than 30 seconds. Yea that's right 30seconds and they were waist deep on ocean!!! The guy in Morehead City a few years ago who's mate didn't show for a commercial blue fin trip went alone and they found his boat going around in circles with a harpoon rope in the water with him wrapped around it twenty feet down with a blue fin still attached and I could go on forever.
Weather somebody is Rambo and has all kinds of survival skills is really not what I was talking about. You can get hit by a car crossing the street but there will be people to dial 911 get you medical help and yes , maybe you wont make it but at least you had a chance. Best comment was the cigarette smoking thing. We all know they kill but we keep puffing away. Were all going sometime and when it's our turn the Big Man has the final say.
My desire in wright this post was not to embarrass anyone or call them out. Probably no more than a heads up to somebody who has not had the good fortune to have fished "Fifty Years" and makes bad decisions about their safety and maybe wouldn't be so lucky to get fished out or hold onto the upside down boat for ten hours.If fishing alone is your thing I'm not going to be your concise I've got baits to rig for my next trip.
Discussion about boat size within reason because I don't feel a Bay Boat belongs fifty miles but that my opinion and I'm allowed to have one just like everyone else. Twin or single engine to me is not very significant. As I've gotten older and had some health issues lately I cant fish smaller boats they beat me up too much but that's not an opinion it my personal health that dictates.
Only thing I will ask all of you reading this is one question and I'm done. When you fish alone in the stream or wherever, do you have a Life Jacket in a fanny pack on at all times strapped to your waist in case you do go over. Do you carry a E pirb personal or for the boat and finally a life raft? There's a brand new 80 International for sale that sure would look good on my planer rod for winter Wahoo fishing a next to the ad is one for a four man life raft in a valise on sale. Same price for each. You can only afford one right now. So which is it going to be?? lmao
Oh and one more thing because there's always one more. Why don't you come fish with me one day and get punished by the funniest bunch of guys you could ask to spend a day with and maybe I could change your mind about fishing alone. Tight lines Buddy wtg
_________________
Think I will change the name of my boat to Livin The Dream!!
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
steve-a
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Dec 09, 2005
Posts: 289
Location: Wilmington

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Seahorse. I didn't read your post as an attack on anyone, and if it makes one person who is not experienced, think, and be more prepared when venturing offshore, that's great.

There are lots of experienced guys that fish alone offshore, and if you know what you are doing, are well prepared, have done your homework, and know your boat, and accept the risks, there is nothing wrong with fishing alone.

The problem today is there are lots of guys with no experience, are not prepared, don't know their boats capabilities other than it floats, ( at least at the dock ) that venture offshore unprepared when they shouldn't, whether it be alone or with others. Those are the guys that should be reading the post.

I don't have that 50 years experience, but I do have 40 plus, and I've personally been in 40 to 50 foot sport fisherman several times, wishing I wasn't even out there in the big boat when things go bad.

I've also had the experience of being a part of saving a couple of those that got caught up in a couple of those bad situations, and I hope to never have to repeat that.

Seeing a bay boat 60 miles offshore makes me cringe every time I see it.
_________________
Steve
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RGP759
Deck Hand
Deck Hand


Joined: Nov 08, 2011
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seahorse,

No offense taken at all on your post. I do agree there are some out there that do not take into account some of the things that can happen, nor do they prepare for them. I like to think of myself in the other boat, if you will. And to answer your question on basic safety equipment, yes I carry and use it. I have a PFD on at all times on the boat, with a PLB and a portable VHF clipped to it at all times. Additionally, I have a wireless kill switch that is both distance and water sensitive. The one thing I don't yet have is the life raft, but that's high on the list of acquisitions. And of course, I carry an assortment of tools, spare parts etc., that can be replace on the water.

With respect to going on a trip with you, I truly appreciate the invite, and would love to take you up on it when you have an open spot. Please let me know, and I'll jump on board for the abuse...lol.

Tight lines.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marker39
Mate
Mate


Joined: Feb 02, 2016
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent an inordinate amount of time fishing alone offshore (mostly 5-15 miles).

I grew up fishing this area and ran charters for 6 years, so I'm not a newbie.

Having said all that, I have a friend that was fishing alone in a 23' challenger many years back. He slipped while trolling and fell out of the boat and was actually able to tread water for what I believe was around 36 hours.

He was found, and it was a miracle. Just wasn't his time I guess.

Be careful out there guys.

BW
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CW66
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jul 29, 2016
Posts: 112
Location: Clemmons - Oak Island

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.autotether.com/store/

Just saying....
_________________
2016 Sportsman Masters 227 w/Yamaha 200 4 stroke
\"I play with Electricity!\"
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SeaView Fishing Services





Atlantic Beach Bait and Tackle














HOME OF THE ORIGINAL BATHYMETRIC/HARDBOTTOM MAP


The Original Balloon Fishing Clip








Free Towing - Free Soft Ungroundings


Onslow Bay Boatworks


Stormwater BMP Services





Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

 

Jump to:   
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001-2008 phpBB Group
Forums ©