Wind Dir: WSW (240°)
Wind Speed: 17 knots
Wind Gust: 21 knots
AT Ps: 29.96 in (1014.4 mb)
Air Temp: 63°F (17.0°C)
Dew Point: 47°F (8.3°C)
Water Temp: 67°F (19.2°C)

Mercury Optimax
There are currently 553 Guests and 78 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Mercury Optimax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard
FlyBy
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Mercury Optimax Reply with quote

In 2012 I repowered my Nitro bay boat, replacing a 2002 Mercury 150 XR-6 with a new 150 Optimax. Did not purchase an extended warranty. I wanted a 4-Stroke but they were 14-16 weeks out at the time. Several factors- work demands, bad weather, and fishing the backwaters from the poling skiffs- limited my use of the bay boat. Forecast for this June 9-10 was great and a time that I could take off from work, an unusual occurrence, so I took the bay boat outside to look for Spanish, Cobia, whatever I could find. I found Spanish and False Albacore and as I was chasing them the outboard went into guardian mode then shut down. Re-started immediately but was intermittently mis-firing and shutting down occasionally. I thought there might be water in the (non-ethanol) gas.
Started hearing rattling so called Tow Boat and was towed back to the landing. First time being towed in 44 years of fishing. I figured the air compressor was bad. Took the boat for repair and found that the engine was blown. #3 cylinder @ 70 PSI. Cost to repair- $7500-$9000. Warranty expired in 2015. Computer showed that the engine had 88 hours of use. Mercury would not acknowledge a problem and would not offer any assistance with repair. I understand that the warranty had expired, but the engine only had 88 hours on it.
There is no moral to this sad story, take away from it what you will. I post it for informational purposes only.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: