Wind Dir: W (260°)
Wind Speed: 19 knots
Wind Gust: 25 knots
AT Ps: 29.96 in (1014.4 mb)
Air Temp: 62°F (16.9°C)
Dew Point: 46°F (8.0°C)
Water Temp: 67°F (19.6°C)

Deck Light Recommendations
There are currently 468 Guests and 73 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Deck Light Recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard
baileyevans4
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Deck Light Recommendations Reply with quote

Looking to put two lights on my 21' parker t-top: a frontward facing light that not only illuminates the bow, but can be set higher to illuminate the water out front; and a stern-facing flood light that illuminates the fishing deck and water behind the boat.

Anyone have any recommendations? LED vs. traditional bulb?

Wildlifer
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be overkill but durabright makes lights that will last a lifetime.

baileyevans4
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wildlifer. Durabrite's are amazing...but a little out of budget. Looking for something a bit more 'replaceable', as I have a tendency to break things within a year, especially on the boat  
MealOnReels
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/KAWELL%C2%AE-9-32V-1170LM-Degree-Waterproof/dp/B00LZEGG3A/ref=pd_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ddhj9lxpL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=15SJJQ88H7FAR5XHEYYQ  
wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go against the grain here. I have spreader lights on my t-top and have never(1) used them. They destroy any night vision you have. I would get the LED rope lights that can go under the gunnel and use a flashlight for small tasks when necessary. The rope lights provide enough light to see what you're doing for most tasks without killing your night vision.

Coastal nightlights sells some good ones.

LookinToHookem
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MealOnReels wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/KAWELL%C2%AE-9-32V-1170LM-Degree-Waterproof/dp/B00LZEGG3A/ref=pd_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ddhj9lxpL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=15SJJQ88H7FAR5XHEYYQ

THESE I like! wtg I mainly use mine while still in the slip loading up and stuff in the dark. For the price, what have I got to lose. I see a 2-pack of the white floods in my near future. Who knows, may even be able to splice into the wires for the ones I have on now. Some of the reviews vary on how waterproof they are, but that's what they make silicone for.

Thanks for the link! wtg wtg wtg

www.militaryappreciationday.org

baileyevans4
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all of these recommendations.

wavescrash: I agree with you completely for when you are on the water, and I'm going to look into some of those LED rope lights to see how easy they would be to tie into the anchor lights switch (since I don't really ever use the anchor light switch).

mealonreels: I'm going to order a couple of these just to see how they are built. keep y'all posted.

thanks again,

wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baileyevans4 wrote:

wavescrash: I agree with you completely for when you are on the water, and I'm going to look into some of those LED rope lights to see how easy they would be to tie into the anchor lights switch (since I don't really ever use the anchor light switch).

Splice connectors:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ancor--splice-connectors--P0385864?recordNum=93

lwr37
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost DO NOT use that splice connector! Ever! Your wire will corrode and fail so fast you will be amazed. If you want to connect lights to your anchor light run the positive back to the panel and use a piggy back terminal to attach. You may even have an open terminal on the switch if they used a DPDT switch. Do not tap into the existing wiring as you'd just be asking for troubles later. Those lights MOW linked are okay. You'll get a couple years out of them before they'll need to be replaced. I know because I use the same kind. They are sold under many brands but are all just cheap lights. If you want to get something a more durable take a look at the TH Marine light, http://thmarine.com/led-super-spreader-light If you have a specific light you want shoot me a email and I'll see if I can get them for you. If you need some advice connecting them feel free to ask.
larryrowland@cecable.com
704-488-6607

wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the expert but Ancor Marine and inside the console I'm not worried about it. Especially if filled with dielectric grease or tefgel. The same splices work on my trailer lights with no issues and they get dunked. I hate those piggy back spade terminals. They look terrible and don't stay connected well in my experience.  
lwr37
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of Ancor products but I couldn't see this product being ABYC approved. I wouldn't put it on my boat and I wouldn't put it on your boat either. A good quality spade connector should stay in place just fine. Most of the switches used in the marine industry today have spade connections. To each his own though...
larryrowland@cecable.com
704-488-6607

crashenoch
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those connectors are junk. They only lead to problems. If corrosion is not the problem, then the wire will eventually fail where it is almost cut in half from the installation of the connector. Follow Larry's advice, piggyback spade connection at switch.  
baileyevans4
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lwr, crash, and waves - big help. I'm going to get into it over the weekend per the suggested method with the pb-spade connector and if I have any questions I'll get back to y'all. Again, much appreciated.  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: