Wind Dir: WSW (250°)
Wind Speed: 17 knots
Wind Gust: 21 knots
AT Ps: 29.95 in (1014.1 mb)
Air Temp: 62°F (16.8°C)
Dew Point: 46°F (7.7°C)
Water Temp: 67°F (19.6°C)

Yamaha F40 bogging issues
There are currently 477 Guests and 73 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Yamaha F40 bogging issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard
Ranger2300
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Yamaha F40 bogging issues Reply with quote

I have an issue with my 2002 Yamaha F40. I have had this motor for three years and it has performed well with no issues. I had the motor services including a carb cleaning when I bought the boat because i didn't know much about the boats prior maintenance.

It will crank and idle great but it will bog down as power is applied. I have cleaned the carbs and changed the fuel line and primer bulb from the tank to the motor. I have watched the internal (under the cowling) fuel lines to see if they are collapsing as the throttle is applied, and they look fine.
When its starts to bog down you can push in the key to activate the electric choke and it will come up to speed.

I have pulled the plug wires one at a time to make sure I do not have a dead cylinder.

I have also read that you can replace the jets in the carbs with the jets from a F25 because they are larger. I know that Yamaha designed the jets for a reason and do not want to cause any damage to the motor, however is this something that is a possible solution?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running on a portable tank? If not do you have a fuel water separator in the fuel tank line? It may be bad fuel.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets
Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans

Cape Fear Anglers

Ranger2300
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that before I cleaned the carbs I emptied the fuel tank and started with fresh fuel.  
seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!! I have a yami 115 on my 180cc. It started doing that a couple years ago. Still does it to this day!!! Cranks fine, idles fine but loses power when put under load. A quick hit of the choke will get it going. Once it gets up and going after hitting the choke it will run like new all day long until i stop. Then i have to hit the choke again to push it past the bogging point to get going again. I have probaby bought enough new parts trying to figure it out that i could have just bought a new motor. Finally just gave up and deal with it no more than i use it.

jasonafox
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put some SeaFoam in the tank, run it a bit so you get the SeaFoam in the carb good. You may be surprised. Sounds like gum in the carbs to me. It doesnt take long to build up, especially if you aren't running non-ethanol gas exclusively.  
ncsportfisher
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my past carbed outboards.... when you have to hit the choke to keep it going it is a tell tale sign the high jet is clogged...  
seayacharlie
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing I would like to bring to your attention is the cylinder that is running lean will run hot, and a good chance you will lose that cylinder if that jet is not removed and cleaned. I have a 150txra and it does not like ethanol to sit
in the carbs to long without use.

Ranger2300
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Tried everything and still having the issue. I took it to the shop that I use to let the professionals work on it. Ill let you know what they determine is causing the issue when I get it back. Luckily its my gigging boat and not my fishing boat so I not out of the game completely.  
Onslow Bay Boatworks

SeaView Fishing Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: