Whatís the best cold weather coat/pants or coveralls for fishing?

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -Ľ
Staff Online:
December 11, 2017 5:20 pm EST
Wind Dir: W (280°)
Wind Speed: 6 knots
Wind Gust: 8 knots
AT Ps: 30.04 in (1017.2 mb)
Air Temp: 52°F (11.3°C)
Dew Point: 42°F (5.6°C)
Water Temp: 60°F (15.7°C)

There are currently 512 Guests and 62 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
SouthernSon
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Whatís the best cold weather coat/pants or coveralls for fishing? Reply with quote

Finally willing to go $200 to $400 for a nice setup. Thinking gortex or generic. Something thatís not too bulky I can trout fish in now thru January. Thanks for all suggestions.  
seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an under armour base layer, a under armour hoodie. On top of that I wear Bass pro shops 100mph gore-tex bibs and rain parka. When I fished Bass tournaments regularly year round I stayed nice and warm with this set up as well as DRY even in the hardest rains. Even stayed warm and dry running 70 mph across the lake in 40 degree weather. Anyway, that's what I use and what I'll continue to use!

aftergolf
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Columbia one piece ski suit that I had for a long time is fantastic. I also have a Walls insulated work suit that works good and is warm but the Columbia blocks the wind better and is waterproof.

glacierbaze
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this earlier today, I went on ebay, and bought myself a Mustang float coat. Everyone needs to ask themselves what happens if you should end up in the water with all that winter gear on, especially if you fish alone. Get yourself geared up for a cold day of trout fishing, or duck hunting, jump in the deep end of a pool, and see how long you can tread water. First thing that you will probably re-think is those lace up boots.  
seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glacierbaze wrote:
After reading this earlier today, I went on ebay, and bought myself a Mustang float coat. Everyone needs to ask themselves what happens if you should end up in the water with all that winter gear on, especially if you fish alone. Get yourself geared up for a cold day of trout fishing, or duck hunting, jump in the deep end of a pool, and see how long you can tread water. First thing that you will probably re-think is those lace up boots.

This is exactly why I wear Mick Boots! Slide them on and off with ease. Not only that but I have wore them all. Rocky, wolverine, timberland, several different lacross boots and the day I put a pair of Mick Boots on my feet I never looked back. Super warm, 100% dry and they are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They feel like tennis shoes.

HOTJOB3
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got up this morning, went out on the pier to lower boat to go trout fishing and changed my mine. Hands where about froze in 5 minutes and the waterway had a 2 to 3 foot chop with white water on top. Wind was blowing 30 or so it seemed. Would have had to wear so many cloths it would have not been fun and might be bad if you feel in and would have got soaked. I will Try again another day. If you went today I hope you got a limit of 27"ers.  
Rustyone
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seapro180 wrote:
glacierbaze wrote:

This is exactly why I wear Mick Boots! Slide them on and off with ease. Not only that but I have wore them all. Rocky, wolverine, timberland, several different lacross boots and the day I put a pair of Mick Boots on my feet I never looked back. Super warm, 100% dry and they are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They feel like tennis shoes.

What are Mick Boots?
www.militaryappreciationday.org

Xplosive
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layering is the best option. Start with silky/breathable underwear. Then add a breathable mid-weight type layer. Then add a breathable outer weight layer. Then put a Mustang survival suit on top. For socks wear a breathable light weight under SealSkinz outer sock. Make sure you buy boots one size larger than you need to account for the extra socks. Same is true for your hands...layer with waterproof outer layer. Lastly don't forget your head with a beanie or full baclava. Bottom line is you need to plan on falling in the water and surviving! Links for some of the items below...

Spend the money on good quality items and they will last you for many years and keep you warm and dry!

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/en_US/products/activity/commercial-industrial/deluxe-anti-exposure-coverall-and-worksuit-MS2175.html

https://www.sealskinzusa.com

Matador
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glacierbaze wrote:

To your point, we were layered up for January duck hunting 2 years ago. Insulated water proof boots with the works. My son, 12 at the time, knew everything and I told him to watch it in the flooded swamp we were hunting. He took one wrong step and was chest deep in a blink. If I hadn't been near by he would have drowned.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him THINK.

seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustyone wrote:
seapro180 wrote:
glacierbaze wrote:

What are Mick Boots?

Muck Boots....sorry for the typo

Capt. Cane
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light weight grundens bibs, Aftco 10K waterproof jacket on top, extra tuff boots. Layering underneath depends on temperatures. Extreme cold like blue finning or trout fishing may have snow gear underneath.
Aftco
Anglers Marine
Electric Visual
Sanuk
Ocean Outfitters
www.holdenbeachfishingcharters.com

olsaltydog
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layering is the key, I usually start with marino wool, then next layer with an outer layer after that that is both wind proof and water proof. I also wear muck boots, I have several boots in different thinsulate levels depending on the weather to keep my feet nice and warm.

Take the advice on survivability in case something happens.

ncsportfisher
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctic Armor. I spent the extra money on these after going back and forth.. they are worth the money!!
https://www.idigear.com/arctic-armor-pro-suit

mlee
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffin Trapper boots. Used to use them Bluefin fishing. Rated to -70 and super comfortable. And they won't mark the deck.  
RyanY
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the under armor cold gear for a base layer. Never was a fan of the big name until I tried them. They breath, and they over lap well at the waist.
I also layer whenever I go out.
Grundens on top.

vanatta22
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask "Eye Catcher" what he uses! Florida!!!!

dontcatch
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustyone wrote:
seapro180 wrote:
glacierbaze wrote:

What are Mick Boots?

HARKERS ISLAND TENNIS SHOES!

Noworries79
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleece under Carhartt bibs and Carhartt coat. If nasty Grundens all the way

Key West 2020WA Yamaha F200
Stratos 250V

Team Rojo

scdiver
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a pair of the Huk bibs, great wind break, waterproof and allow to layer as necessary from 80 in the summer to cold in the winter.

Check them out.

kingkrazy
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huk bibs and coat

fishaholic1
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mustang float coat is part of the way to go!  
werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want waterproof you will need something pvc. Thatís the only thing that will keep you truly waterproof. I have tried many different brands of waterproof materials and none will truly stand up to the waterproof abailities they claim.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

SKIMMER
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: muck boots Reply with quote

love my muck boots and my low cut mucks  
DOGKILLR
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

werewolf0711 wrote:
If you want waterproof you will need something pvc. Thatís the only thing that will keep you truly waterproof. I have tried many different brands of waterproof materials and none will truly stand up to the waterproof abailities they claim.

^^^^^This. That's why you see all the commercial guys, duck guides and locals wearing that type of gear.

SouthernSon
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the feed back. Sounds like I need to keep doing what Iíve been doing. Iíve been Layering and then using my Calcutta bibs. And I too love my muck boots. They just got right.

Stormwater BMP Services

Onslow Bay Boatworks

Free Towing - Free Soft Ungroundings

SeaView Fishing Services

Onslow Bay Boatworks

SeaView Fishing Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: