Shooting Question

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -»
Staff Online:Instant Message Site Admin Capt_DaveFind all forum posts by Capt_DaveCapt_Dave
Shooting Question
Shooting Question
Shooting Question
December 11, 2017 7:40 am EST
Wind Dir: W (280°)
Wind Speed: 14 knots
Wind Gust: 17 knots
AT Ps: 30.16 in (1021.5 mb)
Air Temp: 53°F (11.4°C)
Dew Point: 36°F (2.0°C)
Water Temp: 61°F (16.1°C)

Shooting Question
There are currently 566 Guests and 100 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Shooting Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Shooting Question Reply with quote

I sighted in my rifle yesterday and when using a table rest it is dead on

When shooting off of something like a rail or my knee, every shot ends up left about four inches

I noticed the same thing when shooting a handgun so it has to be something I am doing.

Any advice for steadying my shot?

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

cloflinnc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my opinion from experience, not professional training. That is your natural flinch. Either embrace it or fix it. I have a consistent flinch of down and left and have for years with a rifle. I never miss right or up so I aim at the NW corner of the kill area on a deer for example. Mine has improved over the years and gets better with shooting more low caliber rounds to train my natural tendency to not flinch. The more I shoot freehand the less I flinch and the more accurate and confident I become. Hope this helps & makes sense. Quickest way to see it, is set your camera to video your face and shoulders when you shoot.

plasticpeddler
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much you shoot so I really don't know where to start. But, here are the most likely causes. "Low and Left" are a classic result of flinching. You should know if you are flinching or not. If the round firing doesn't surprise you every time, you are flinching. "Too much finger in the trigger" will push the barrel to the left, more so in hand guns. The center of the trigger should be on the center of the pad of your shooting finger. I hope this helps. Good Luck...  
kicker30
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll expand on what they said a little to tie it right to your situation. It does sound like a flinch issue but not due to the anticipation of the shot and recoil as most normally think of the flinch. The reason why you don't see it on the bench but do otherwise is most likely because of the steadiness of your rest. When shooting from a bench you have a very steady rest and very little if any wander in the crosshairs, when using a rail or your knees as a rest you will have much more wandering of the crosshairs due to the inherently less stable rest. This motion causes you to stab at the trigger when the crosshairs somewhat settle or pass over the spot you are intending to aim at, that stabbing results in a slight pull of the gun itself away from the point of aim. The stabbing is probably even something that you do totally subconsciously and have no recollection or indication of other than the consistent but not accurate point of impact. Your going to have to force yourself to apply firm and consistent pressure to the trigger until the gun just goes off rather than allowing that stab at the trigger.  
Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information, thank you!

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

seayacharlie
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been shooting since I was around 9 with the help
of my grandfather, and I always pulled down, and right. It might sound off the wall, but either braced or not, if I hold above the target and slowly drop iron or scope crosshairs
down until I am on my target spot, and fire, I will be in
a tight shooting group. During deer season, this has alway
worked for me. Thank for the post, these replies is
interesting.

Matador
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seayacharlie I was taught the same thing. Only difference is I start down and come up. I slow exhale as well. Tightened groups up considerably.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him THINK.

seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a YHEC shooting instructor as well as 1000yd shooting competitor, Short and sweet answer...your jerkin the trigger. When your groups pull left or right that means your problem lies with trigger pull. When your groups pull up or down that means your problem lies with breath control.

seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a YHEC shooting instructor as well as 1000yd shooting competitor, Short and sweet answer...your jerkin the trigger. When your groups pull left or right that means your problem lies with trigger pull. When your groups pull up or down that means your problem lies with breath control.

IslandBreeze
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're slapping the trigger like it owes you money or anticipating the recoil of the weapon.

jdunk
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kicker30 wrote:
I'll expand on what they said a little to tie it right to your situation. It does sound like a flinch issue but not due to the anticipation of the shot and recoil as most normally think of the flinch. The reason why you don't see it on the bench but do otherwise is most likely because of the steadiness of your rest. When shooting from a bench you have a very steady rest and very little if any wander in the crosshairs, when using a rail or your knees as a rest you will have much more wandering of the crosshairs due to the inherently less stable rest. This motion causes you to stab at the trigger when the crosshairs somewhat settle or pass over the spot you are intending to aim at, that stabbing results in a slight pull of the gun itself away from the point of aim. The stabbing is probably even something that you do totally subconsciously and have no recollection or indication of other than the consistent but not accurate point of impact. Your going to have to force yourself to apply firm and consistent pressure to the trigger until the gun just goes off rather than allowing that stab at the trigger.

My thoughts as well, deep breath settle the crosshairs and slowly exhale, while squieezing the trigger. The shot should not be anticipated, you should see the crosshairs on the target where you want to hit as you feel the recoil of the rifle, you should see fire out of the muzzle as the shot goes off. If you see this your doing everything right, it could be a nonconsistant cheek hold if your holding the rifle differently than you do off the rest (your eye not being centered with the reticle in the scope, this can be an issue that would need to be addressed but thats a whole different discussion... if you continue to have the low left problem this could be whats happening. would mean your eye is in the upper right quadrant of the scope or sights. I shoot with both eyes open with a handgun and shotgun. I do not with a rifle...

HOTJOB3
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Got to have a good trigger! Practice!!!Learn to squeeze the trigger, not pull on it! About 75% of shooting is in your head! Once you know you have a gun set up good with good ammo,mount, and scope you will be good to make a good shot after shot after it is sighted in.  
seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, have your trigger pull adjusted if not already. Factory settings are ridiculously set at around 5 pounds. I personally will not own a rifle that the trigger pull can't be adjusted to a minimum of 2.5 lb. My everyday hunting rifle is set at 2#. You will be amazed at the difference this makes as well. It can be done at any gun shop in about 30 seconds if you can't do it yourself and it's normally only a few bucks

DOGKILLR
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasticpeddler wrote:
I don't know how much you shoot so I really don't know where to start. But, here are the most likely causes. "Low and Left" are a classic result of flinching. You should know if you are flinching or not. If the round firing doesn't surprise you every time, you are flinching. "Too much finger in the trigger" will push the barrel to the left, more so in hand guns. The center of the trigger should be on the center of the pad of your shooting finger. I hope this helps. Good Luck...

^^^^too much finger in the trigger. Acts like a hinge. Smooth, slow pull so it surprises you. Perhaps have your trigger lightened. Some are way too stiff from the factory.

tireman
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also make sure your cross hairs are straight up and down and not tilted any sounds like when you are free hand you may have a slightly tilted hold to shoot consistently to one side just my 2 cent.

seayacharlie
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid Row thanks for the post. I have had 3 of my issues solved. My hypo breathing, my trigger pull technique, and
my factory trigger setting on all my guns. So hard to pull
to fire. Thanks Charlie

Lunchmoney
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Controlling my breathing has helped me, that and squeezing the trigger instead of pulling. I try to get a semi-deep breath, exhale about 3/4 then hold and squeeze the trigger. Easier said than done with a buck in the crosshairs  
jaws
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This and breathing control has helped me more than anything.  
Schooney
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your shots are left it’s your trigger control and finger placement more than anything. That and maybe a touch of shot anticipation. Shooting wether it be pistols or long guns all boils down to a handful of basics. I recommend checking out some of Travis Haley’s videos on YouTube if you’re interested in learning some of the science and art behind good shooting. What he puts up there free of charge a lot of people pay good money for. That or make through some of the meaner schools Uncle Sam offers. Might have to weed through some of the videos but I doubt you’ll be disappointed and you’ll definitely learn some things.  

Insure with the Best in the Business

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: