Wind Dir: W (260°)
Wind Speed: 14 knots
Wind Gust: 19 knots
AT Ps: 30.20 in (1022.7 mb)
Air Temp: 53°F (11.4°C)
Dew Point: 38°F (3.6°C)
Water Temp: 63°F (17.1°C)

Should I have...
There are currently 505 Guests and 14 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Should I have...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard
seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Should I have... Reply with quote

So I ordered a new high and low pressure filter and their o-rings. Should I have ordered a new screen in the high pressure pump as well?

My problem is this:

Boat normally tops out at 5100rpm with the prop I have on it right now. Took it out last weekend to run it and it started surging around 4100rpm and would go no more. As long as it stayed under 4100rpm it ran smooth. However it did seem to take a little longer to get there than normal like it just didn't have the same amount of power.

As soon as I put it in the water when I first got there it wouldn't get above 3000rpm before starting to surge like it was going in to limp mode. I drained the fuel/water separator...alot of water in it. Pumped out the fuel that was in fuel line into bottles until no more water was present. Cranked motor before hooking fuel line back up and ran it out of gas. Hooked back up fuel line, pumped the build back up cranked it again and it ran fine up to about 4100rpm then it started surging again.

Put it back on the trailer and brought it back home. Pulled the cover off the mother to inspect water separator in the motor and low pressure filter. The separator in the motor was about half full of water with a bunch of trash and the low pressure had a little trash and a small amount of water in it. So I figure there is a good chance the high pressure filter is clogged as well. Going to drain the vst and replace filters in hope this fixes the problem. Hopefully the screen is fine and the above fixes the problem...

BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to clean the screen. If the problem still exists and the filters are clean you may need to get the injectors cleaned. Make sure you use NON Ethanol fuel ALWAYS!!!!

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets
Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans

Cape Fear Anglers

Xplosive
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to drain your gas tank if you have that much water showing up. Start with the cheap route first...get some sea foam or star tron fuel treatment and use 1.5 times the amount recommended. You can't over do it in any case. Run that through the next couple of tanks you burn. This will help with the injectors, tank and lines. Other thing to check that is cheap is make sure your fuel lines running from the tank to the engine are in good condition to include the pump balls. If they are older than 5 years I would replace if they appear to be rotting or brittle. Have someone ride with you next time and check the lines and balls to make sure they are not collapsing. Other than that you seem to be tracking on your thought concepts and attacking the other possible problems.  
seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xplosive wrote:
You may need to drain your gas tank if you have that much water showing up. Start with the cheap route first...get some sea foam or star tron fuel treatment and use 1.5 times the amount recommended. You can't over do it in any case. Run that through the next couple of tanks you burn. This will help with the injectors, tank and lines. Other thing to check that is cheap is make sure your fuel lines running from the tank to the engine are in good condition to include the pump balls. If they are older than 5 years I would replace if they appear to be rotting or brittle. Have someone ride with you next time and check the lines and balls to make sure they are not collapsing. Other than that you seem to be tracking on your thought concepts and attacking the other possible problems.

Thanks for the reply. The tank was drained unfortunately. I had let a friend take it out for a day at the lake and he had refilled it with regular gas wall I religiously run e-free gas. When he told me what he had done I siphoned all the gas out of the tank and ran it it my truck to use it up. However the way I got it out was by unhooking the bulb from the motor side of the fuel line and hooked a longer hose to it that would reach the ground. I put that hose in a 5 gal gas tank and pumped the build a few times and let it start siphoning itself. I did this until I got all the gas out to a point that when I squeezed the bulb a few times it just sucked air. So there could have been a little left in the tank still that I just couldn't get. After I got it out paranoid as to what that ethanol did, I hooked up a pony tank and put 1 gallon of 93 e-free in it with 1 full can of seafoam and ran it until it ran out of gas. I then hooked the line back up and let it sit until I took it for a run last weekend. Low and behold...water. lots of water. Where it came from I have nooooooo idea! As stated, I had drained all the gas out and it sat covered and empty until about 10 minutes before putting it in the water when I filled it up with 90 e-free huh

BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you ran the tank dry?! If you are able to jack up the front of the boat if you can access the fuel sending unit, take it off and siphon directly from the tank. Go to O'Rielly auto parts by a 12 volt electric fuel pump (about $15.00) Use a clear plastic hose with a piece of copper tubing at the end that you can put into the bottom of he tank. You should be able to get most (if not all) of the remaining fuel out of the tank. You may have residual fuel and water in the tank. The water will stay at the very bottom of the tank. This way you will be sure that you got it all out. Then go to step 2.

Step 2.
Check the O ring on your fill cap. I had the same problem with one of my tanks. The O ring was bad and allowing water into the tank when it would rain or I was washing the boat down. If you can get some of the water bring it to a pool supply company. Let them test to make sure it is fresh water not sea water.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
Submarines and Targets

Cape Fear Anglers

seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryTurano wrote:
So you ran the tank dry?! If you are able to jack up the front of the boat if you can access the fuel sending unit, take it off and siphon directly from the tank. Go to O'Rielly auto parts by a 12 volt electric fuel pump (about $15.00) Use a clear plastic hose with a piece of copper tubing at the end that you can put into the bottom of he tank. You should be able to get most (if not all) of the remaining fuel out of the tank. You may have residual fuel and water in the tank. The water will stay at the very bottom of the tank. This way you will be sure that you got it all out. Then go to step 2.

Step 2.
Check the O ring on your fill cap. I had the same problem with one of my tanks. The O ring was bad and allowing water into the tank when it would rain or I was washing the boat down. If you can get some of the water bring it to a pool supply company. Let them test to make sure it is fresh water not sea water.

Thanks Barry. I checked it after reading your post. The o-ring was GONE! Have been having trouble the last few fill ups with the cap not wanting to seat all the way. I would never have thought more than a drop or 2 at the very most of water could get in that way if it was seated all the way but missing an o-ring. That's the only way I know that it could be getting in though. I have a salinity tester I'll test the water with. Thanks for the info. I have a new one on the way!

BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O ring replacement will help water intrusion. There is a product called "Water Zorb" it is supposed to make water in the fuel bind to the fuel to make it combustible. I myself have never used it so I have no first hand knowledge.
Here is a link. https://www.amazon.com/GAS-WATER-ZORB-16-OZ/dp/B001446KG4
For $20.00 it maybe a cheap fix with the O ring.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
Submarines and Targets

Cape Fear Anglers

Xplosive
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Barry never thought about the O ring on the tank cap. Good call on that one. I was thinking if he let it sit for a long time with an empty tank it would build moisture up on the tank and like you said the water would be at the very bottom...which would have to be pumped out completely as. you describe. Damn...I am going to check my O ring on my cap now to see if I should replace...screw it...I am going to replace...$2 fix/replace is worth not having the problem.
Thanks for the input BARRY!!!

BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I know from personal experience. With me besides rain water. I was getting spray on the gunnels and water from the salt water wash down. The o ring on the stbd tank was there but had thinned out on 1 side. If you replace them make certain that you get the ones that are used with gasoline. There are two different types of material. The ones at Home Depot or Lowes are the plumbing variety and will not hold up to fuel.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
Submarines and Targets

Cape Fear Anglers

Insure with the Best in the Business

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: