Dissecting Docks for Spring Redfish... - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -
Staff Online:Instant Message Site Admin Capt_John_CFind all forum posts by Capt_John_CCapt_John_C
December 19, 2018 3:50 am EST
Wind Dir: NNE (20°)
Wind Speed: 10 knots
Wind Gust: 14 knots
Sig Wave Height: 3 ft
Dom Wave Period: 9 sec
Average Period: 5.0 sec
Mean Wave Dir: ENE (64°)
AT Ps: 30.14 in (1020.8 mb)
Air Temp: 59°F (14.9°C)
Dew Point: 49°F (9.5°C)
Water Temp: 60°F (15.8°C)

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Dissecting Docks for Spring Redfish...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
captfields_sc
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Dissecting Docks for Spring Redfish... Reply with quote

It's that time of year. The weather and water warms and the redfish go into a transition period. Docks hold redfish year round, no doubt. There is something about the spring though... Redfish that are in transition often break out of their winter time schools and relate to heavy structure with current movement for easy meals as the bait starts moving in the backwaters. Shrimp, mullet, and blue crab are all on the menu. There are a ton of docks in our coastal waterways. One trick I use to eliminate and find key docks is to use my charts to see which docks hold water at all tides, even at low water. I do this by seeing which docks have contours on them and stick out past the green, which shows the what is dry at low tide. All chart info is going to show depths, contours and symbols for what the water is at avg low tide. I then see which docks would have the best current movement and best deep water access as a transition point. While on the water you can use your good ole' common sense to see which docks stand out with bonus features...these include feeder creeks nearby, oyster mounds etc... I will use a variety of techniques including spinnerbaits, soft plastics on a jig head, Texas rig and swimbait hook setups to pick apart the docks in an effective manner. I hope this tip helps. I know I get excited this time of year...does it show, ha! Tight lines.  
Stormwater BMP Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: