April 26, 2017 12:10 pm EST
Wind Speed: 0 knots
Wind Gust: 2 knots
AT Ps: 29.88 in (1011.9 mb)
Air Temp: 71°F (21.9°C)
Dew Point: 64°F (17.8°C)
Water Temp: 74°F (23.5°C)

Sea Hunt Question
There are currently 734 Guests and 193 Members online NOW!
NC - 142 , SC - 22 , GA - 4 , EFL - 2 , WFL - 1 , AL - 2 , LA - 2 , TX - 3 ,

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Sea Hunt Question
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
RKForte
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Sea Hunt. It gets me where I want to go and back and frees up money for me to buy numerous other toys. But there are better boats out the rebut they are usually "purpose built".

Aquaholicnc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanatta22 wrote:
I was at the Raleigh Boat show a couple weeks ago and looked at one out of a Wilmington dealership and it had twin 250's and i think it was around the 100 grand mark. I seen the Onslow on here for sale and it is a great boat but I am looking for something around the 27 ft range. I may hit the jackpot in Atlantic City and come home with 30+ haha! I am going to look around and see what I can come up with though. I would personally like to ride on way to just see how the ride is. I may try to set that up somewhere

The 23t Onslow bay is a 27' boat. And in a different class. If I were spending $80k and that 23T was still available it would be a no brainier for me. Now, the Sea Hunt will be more family friendly for sure, and have a great warranty on new motors. But the boat just can not compare if your'e serious about fishing. I also stopped and looked at the new Cobia 27 the other day, and I like it. I didn't price it and I do not know much about Cobia now, but it looked like an awesome ride.

Loan Officer with Movement Mortgage, Surf City NC
(Shameless plug^^^^)
“Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day.”

vanatta22
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that everyone has their opinion and I can see those who are for and not for the sea hunt. I live in Ohio with a full time job and also a student in college. My family is who got the place at Holden Beach for "family". I agree that the upper class boats would be awesome but a few reasons I am leaning to the Sea Hunt and even started this topic was that its not just my father I going to be out fishing offshore all the time but realistically it will be my entire family out on the water and I want them to be comfortable when they want to. Its not like I am serious fishing everyday. That 27 ft Sea Hunt with Twin 200's will get me anywhere that I want to go I believe and another thing is that I baby all of my new toys so whatever boat I end up with will get completely washed down and flushed completely every time that I get back in. I have a closed garage that it will stay in. Iv learned if you take damn good care of things they will last.  
tfincher
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKForte wrote:
I love my Sea Hunt. It gets me where I want to go and back and frees up money for me to buy numerous other toys. But there are better boats out the rebut they are usually "purpose built".

Well said! I've enjoyed mine too. At the time I was pretty much maxed out on what I could spend on a boat and still be able to have a few other hobbies and toys. I moved up from a 19' CC and went from fishing 30 miles offshore to fishing 65-70 miles offshore. Granted I have to pick my days but I've made many gulf stream trips in my boat, so I'm sure the GF 25 & 27 will only be better, drier, faster, etc. Good luck with whatever your choice may be!

Scooba
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is a 27 gamefish with 150's . The boat runs well, is economical, and fishes well in sloppy crap. It has its quirks and things you would change just like they all do as stated above. We fish 90% of the time in the stream with 4 or 5 on the boat. I have made a few modifications to the boat just because we dont fish inshore alot. I wanted more deck space, and did not need the extra livewell and rear seating on the leaning post. Cut it out and put a sliding rig cooler underneath leaning post for quick access.We just throw bean bags in the back for the ride out an on way home for seating. The boat is not a 70mph boat, and did not or does not have the price tag. It has served our purpose well from offshore to running around with the family inshore. This will be our 5th year fishing it and would say we have put it through some nasty offshore paces, caught fish and it has done fine for a 27ft. You can spend all the money you want with a offshore boat in the 27 foot range, but in my opinion you would not go wrong with a 27 gamefish with the experience we have had for an all around boat that is "new" with warranty at that price point. Not taking anything away from the Onslow Bay, it is a different animal, have a friend that just took delivery of a 33 and have another buddy having a 33 built now. Good luck!  
werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooba wrote:
Ours is a 27 gamefish with 150's . The boat runs well, is economical, and fishes well in sloppy crap. It has its quirks and things you would change just like they all do as stated above. We fish 90% of the time in the stream with 4 or 5 on the boat. I have made a few modifications to the boat just because we dont fish inshore alot. I wanted more deck space, and did not need the extra livewell and rear seating on the leaning post. Cut it out and put a sliding rig cooler underneath leaning post for quick access.We just throw bean bags in the back for the ride out an on way home for seating. The boat is not a 70mph boat, and did not or does not have the price tag. It has served our purpose well from offshore to running around with the family inshore. This will be our 5th year fishing it and would say we have put it through some nasty offshore paces, caught fish and it has done fine for a 27ft. You can spend all the money you want with a offshore boat in the 27 foot range, but in my opinion you would not go wrong with a 27 gamefish with the experience we have had for an all around boat that is "new" with warranty at that price point. Not taking anything away from the Onslow Bay, it is a different animal, have a friend that just took delivery of a 33 and have another buddy having a 33 built now. Good luck!

And I fully believe you will out fish any of the other boats in the stream!! Including some Charters. That boat has seen its fair share of fish

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

Aquaholicnc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to equate it to speakers.
If you are happy with the sound of $100 speakers, then no one can tell you that the $500 speakers are worth the $400 extra. Personally, I have a 255CC SeaPro. It is NOT the best (Or even close to the best) 26' center console out there. But, it doesn't cost me anything. It was inexpensive, and it is a safe, productive boat. 90% of the days that I chose to fish, it does exactly what I need, and didn't break any banks. N

Now, that being said, I wish I had a 33 OB. I can't imagine a better boat (Except maybe the 41' thats coming). But, can I fish more days than I fish now? With a 33t? Absolutely. If I had the time and money to spare.

The 23t Onslow bay mentioned in the same price as the 27 sea hunt is like comparing JBL Car speakers ($200 new) that are new in box to a pair of Focal Utopia BEs ($5000 new) that may be used from a competition car and available for $2000. How good do you want it? And what will satisfy you? I know where my money would be, hands down.

Loan Officer with Movement Mortgage, Surf City NC
(Shameless plug^^^^)
“Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day.”

vanatta22
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I agree with what you guys are all saying. Of course I would love a 30+ Grady white, OB, or a cape horn but as mentioned before........I cant afford those boats and for the purposes I want and need a 25 or 27 Gamefish, it will definitely get me out and back home safely and to just about anywhere I want to fish!! I am going to get in and get a feel for a lot of boats at the Atlantic City Boat Show and go from there.  
Titan
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't want this to turn into a bias on the boat brands or anything just simply what have you guys heard of the Sea Hunt or even better if someone has road in one."

So much for that.

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanatta22 wrote:
Again I agree with what you guys are all saying. Of course I would love a 30+ Grady white, OB, or a cape horn but as mentioned before........I cant afford those boats and for the purposes I want and need a 25 or 27 Gamefish, it will definitely get me out and back home safely and to just about anywhere I want to fish!! I am going to get in and get a feel for a lot of boats at the Atlantic City Boat Show and go from there.

Since you live in Ohio I'd guess you only come straight to the beach when coming down? If you want to take a personal ride on my 25 I have a lake with a ramp about 10 mins from my house. You are more than welcome to come take a look and test it out.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

vanatta22
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys I am going to throw a curveball here. I went to the Atlantic City boat show and seen every boat that I could possible think of. I still find myself liking all the features that the 27 Gamefish has BUT I did open my options again due to the things I seen and liked at the show. I am now throwing the 27 Cape Horn XS and I recently have been looking at a 2013 29 ft Sailfish with very low hours. I have seen and pretty familiar with what the Gamefish and Cape Horn consist of due to the amount of them that I see in the Holden Beach area. I have not seen hardly any Sailfish. Could anyone please give me some UNBIASED info on them as to how they ride handle etc... The Sailfish is equipped with twin 300s and the 27 cape horn and Gamefish both have 200's. I realize the difference in the fuel that I will have but that isn't a factor. I am more concerned with the ride and how they handle and their build.  
cjdad
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanatta22 wrote:
Ok guys I am going to throw a curveball here. I went to the Atlantic City boat show and seen every boat that I could possible think of. I still find myself liking all the features that the 27 Gamefish has BUT I did open my options again due to the things I seen and liked at the show. I am now throwing the 27 Cape Horn XS and I recently have been looking at a 2013 29 ft Sailfish with very low hours. I have seen and pretty familiar with what the Gamefish and Cape Horn consist of due to the amount of them that I see in the Holden Beach area. I have not seen hardly any Sailfish. Could anyone please give me some UNBIASED info on them as to how they ride handle etc... The Sailfish is equipped with twin 300s and the 27 cape horn and Gamefish both have 200's. I realize the difference in the fuel that I will have but that isn't a factor. I am more concerned with the ride and how they handle and their build.

My fishing buddy got a 270 sailfish last fall and I will say that it handles real good. Last trip we took was pretty rough and it cut right through with no pounding.
I will say that it was wetter than I thought it would be but any cc would have been wet that day but he has since put a full enclosure on it.
So I would assume that the 29 sailfish should handle a little better

Nakinc
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Usually Don't Comment on this site but after owning around 12 Boats, I can tell you this with confidence, I would rather have an upper end quality boat used, say 300 Hrs. or less over a New Cheap build, I am not knocking any Boats so don't take this wrong, I have a 95 Stamas, I had 2 Edgewaters New. Mako, Wellcraft, Century, many others Etc. With good seamanship they will all take you where you want to go, but usually after 5 yrs or less, on cheap boats, the hardware gets loose, the rub rail and coming pads go bad or fall off, the difference is the quality of material used, My Stamas a 95 has very little rust on the fittings, a Solid not spongy deck a solid Transom and the gel coat still shines like new,resale on these lower end boats is just that low, Get a quality Boat period and don' look back, One persons Experience in 50 yrs of boating/offshore fishing.  
BILLFISHIN
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: exactly! Reply with quote

Nakinc wrote:
I Usually Don't Comment on this site but after owning around 12 Boats, I can tell you this with confidence, I would rather have an upper end quality boat used, say 300 Hrs. or less over a New Cheap build, I am not knocking any Boats so don't take this wrong, I have a 95 Stamas, I had 2 Edgewaters New. Mako, Wellcraft, Century, many others Etc. With good seamanship they will all take you where you want to go, but usually after 5 yrs or less, on cheap boats, the hardware gets loose, the rub rail and coming pads go bad or fall off, the difference is the quality of material used, My Stamas a 95 has very little rust on the fittings, a Solid not spongy deck a solid Transom and the gel coat still shines like new,resale on these lower end boats is just that low, Get a quality Boat period and don' look back, One persons Experience in 50 yrs of boating/offshore fishing.

vanatta22
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing in the question of a 25 ft Nautic Star with twin 200s?  
BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not look at an Albemarle. Would be all that you want and more. I have a 24 cc that I bought used. Other than some motor issues which have been addressed the boat is a tank. Look at a 24 express if you ant more comfort than a cc. Also look for straight inboard or Jack Shaft. I have had Anna Capri, Rampage, and Edgewater. This boat beats them all for ride and seaworthiness (if that is a word) Look on line you will find some real nice ones for sale. Contact BamBam on this site he can give you loads of info.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets
Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans

Cape Fear Anglers

Nakinc
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albermarles are great boats looked at a couple, Inboards and Jackshafts are great for deep water inlets like Masonboro, But try one in New River Inlet Sometime if you want a Butt Tightening Experience , All ot those Carolina Flare Boats are great but you have to consider where you are going to run it, My Edgewater 245 ran in 20" of water with twin 150 4 strk Yams
and was unsinkable, I would get one again in a minute.
My Stamas needs around 2', sometimes thats all you get in some of these inlets.Just Saying

wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nakinc wrote:
Albermarles are great boats looked at a couple, Inboards and Jackshafts are great for deep water inlets like Masonboro, But try one in New River Inlet Sometime if you want a Butt Tightening Experience , All ot those Carolina Flare Boats are great but you have to consider where you are going to run it, My Edgewater 245 ran in 20" of water with twin 150 4 strk Yams
and was unsinkable, I would get one again in a minute.
My Stamas needs around 2', sometimes thats all you get in some of these inlets.Just Saying

Despite the name, Albemarle is far from a Carolina style boat. They carry their deadrise well aft where a Carolina boat flattens out. Carolina Boats were designed for shallow inlets.

OP, Sailfish have a great reputation as a very solid boat, but are a bit heavier and will use more fuel. Sea Hunt is hard to beat for what it is. I don't like Cape Horn's as much because of the relative lack of storage.

Something for you to think about, tThere are some hellacious deals out there on repowered 27 Contenders and similar makes that were developed from the same Formula 233 hull base like Whitewater, Competition and Conch if you look around. IMO a recently repowered older hull is the best deal out there unless you want something specific that isn't readily available on the used market such as some of the cat boats like Prowler or Freeman. Older 27 Contenders that are actually 30 LOA are hard to beat in that style of boat.

MealOnReels
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavescrash,where are the Contenders listed?Thanks  
Nakinc
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I don't comment on this site, I think I said Carolina Flare not hull design The Carolina Boat design was taken from larger boat manufacturers and used on smaller boats with a deep vee carried aft for softer ride and control, The flair was there for diverting spray nothing to do with the bottom, Albermarle and Carolina Classics have a reputation for rolling in a beam sea. I stick with my point Jack shafts and inboard set ups do not work well in shallow inlets, Even in Oregon Inlet they now have problems, or Carolina Beach Inlet or New Topsail inlet and of course New river inlet, That was my point. Contenders would be a good choice, Good Deep Vee Hull design., Just wanted to clarify my point.  
BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my Albe out of Carolina Beach never had an issue. Gets real skinny raise the drive. I draw about 30". However you are 100% correct about the roll factor. You just need to figure what is more important. At going on 70 I'll take the ride in a head sea over the roll at anchor.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
Submarines and Targets

Cape Fear Anglers

Nakinc
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albemarles are built on the foundation of the legendary Carolina hull, with its dramatic deadrise and elegant bow flare and have been evolving through decades of input from top naval architects. We have created a boat that is now legendary for its ability to take on even the most brutal head seas with comfort and confidence, track effortlessly in following or breaking seas and deliver a steady, stable platform whether trolling in the gulf stream or cruising with your family on the bay.From Albermarle website  
Nakinc
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, Agreed, I am 67 Been around boats all of my life, don't need educating on most boat Brands by others (not You), I'll stick with my original response I believe a quality used boat like an Albermarle, or Stamas over a new entry level boat is a better choice., Not knocking or disrespecting your Boat,I am entitled to my opinion Have a Great day, Thanks, Art  
vanatta22
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay now I like all the learning of the new types of boats and information from you guys that have been around them all of your life. Ill just say I cant afford a Albermarle or Stamas. I agree that they are a reliable and great boat but just out of my range. I THINK I have it narrowed down to a very very clean 2012 29 Sea Hunt. It only has 200 hrs and is very well kept. Im not an everyday fisherman due to living in Ohio. Nonbias options now on that this should be all that I need. It should be a decent riding boat and I know a few other guys on here that have the Sea Hunts and love them and they get them anywhere they want and they are ones that fish a lot more than I do.  
BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nakinc wrote:
Barry, Agreed, I am 67 Been around boats all of my life, don't need educating on most boat Brands by others (not You), I'll stick with my original response I believe a quality used boat like an Albermarle, or Stamas over a new entry level boat is a better choice., Not knocking or disrespecting your Boat,I am entitled to my opinion Have a Great day, Thanks, Art

Hey Art no offense taken. I remember Stamas from a long time ago. Always was a great boat. They don't build them the same any more. My Rampage was a 1985 and my Edgewater was a 1997 (it was a Douherty built hull, variable deadrise) solidly built for up in New York. But when I took it down here sea conditions were a lot different and the old bones could not take it. I was going to buy a bay boat then realized as soon as I would buy it I would be running 40 miles for grouper or going to the stream because it was a good weather window. So I went with the Albemarle. Definitely not a 50 MPH boat but I can go out come back and not need to check into rehab for a few days. Getting old is not all it's cracked up to be. Here are two boat manufacturers from back in the day: John Allmand and Shamrock. My uncle had a Allmand, I almost bought a Shamrock but went Rampage instead.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
Submarines and Targets

Cape Fear Anglers

zigzag
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Hunts are ok, owned one myself, but if you are going to offshore fish at least try to fish out of the bow with a 2 piece boat and then a 3 piece boat where you can get your feet under the rail, also if you are doing a lot of riding with family and it is choppy they are not gong to like riding in the front of the boat, it is very rough up there, rear seating or bean bags are nice, forward seating eats up a lot of deck space, and last, look at all the pumps and hardware below the deck and see which boat gives "you" more access to service and change out the pumps and filters and hoses and clamps and access the batteries. A coffin box for the fish would be extra nice so you don't have to stand on your head to handle the fish. And give the anchor locker a good look at, a lot of boats have way to small an anchor locker for an offshore boat and rope. good luck with your purchase.  
harding153
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning into a Ford/Chevy debate. But in all seriousness, go with the gamefish. You won't be disappointed. If it fits your needs for a family fishing boat, roll with it.

wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MealOnReels wrote:
Wavescrash,where are the Contenders listed?Thanks

Gotta look around on boat trader, thehulltruth, etc. I've seen 27's for 80k or less. Here's one that is right there, and I've seen them cheaper. Just have to be on the lookout because they usually don't last long.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/823963-2000-27-contender-new-power-asking-85k.html?823963=#post10013411

Nakinc wrote:
That is why I don't comment on this site, I think I said Carolina Flare not hull design The Carolina Boat design was taken from larger boat manufacturers and used on smaller boats with a deep vee carried aft for softer ride and control, The flair was there for diverting spray nothing to do with the bottom, Albermarle and Carolina Classics have a reputation for rolling in a beam sea. I stick with my point Jack shafts and inboard set ups do not work well in shallow inlets, Even in Oregon Inlet they now have problems, or Carolina Beach Inlet or New Topsail inlet and of course New river inlet, That was my point. Contenders would be a good choice, Good Deep Vee Hull design., Just wanted to clarify my point.

If you meant that inboard boats in general don't do well in shallow inlets, then yes, they will draft more than an outboard boat will. But that doesn't have anything to do with flare, so I assumed you were talking about the traditional Carolina hull design in general. Flare is about providing lift, water diversion is a secondary benefit.

Last edited by wavescrash on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harding153 wrote:
This is turning into a Ford/Chevy debate. But in all seriousness, go with the gamefish. You won't be disappointed. If it fits your needs for a family fishing boat, roll with it.

Anytime someone asks for an opinion that is what they will get. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What works for one may not be fitting for another just need to be respectful of each other.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
Submarines and Targets

Cape Fear Anglers

Nakinc
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Barry, Life is to short to argue minute points that don't really matter, If I have offended anyone here accept my apologies, I am looking for good weather to hit the water again, at 67 or 70 How many trips do we really have left , Make the most of it my friend I intend to, 25 Stamas Liberty (Family Fisherman) w 225 4 stroke Honda, Boat Name - Greek Fisherman
Regards,
Art

HOME OF THE ORIGINAL BATHYMETRIC/HARDBOTTOM MAP

The Original Balloon Fishing Clip

Insure with the Best in the Business

SeaView Fishing Services

Insure with the Best in the Business

Onslow Bay Boatworks

Less Fishing, More Catching

Custom Made Gaffs, Line Spoolers and Pirate Plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Page 2 of 3

Jump to: