Wind Dir: S (190°)
Wind Speed: 6 knots
Wind Gust: 8 knots
AT Ps: 30.02 in (1016.5 mb)
Air Temp: 83°F (28.5°C)
Dew Point: 80°F (26.9°C)
Water Temp: 84°F (28.9°C)

SAFMC at it AGAIN. REC PERMITS
There are currently 614 Guests and 147 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

SAFMC at it AGAIN. REC PERMITS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: SAFMC at it AGAIN. REC PERMITS Reply with quote

"The advisory panel just voted unanimously to recommend the council move forward with a federal recreational permit in the South Atlantic Region (federal waters only) for recreational fishermen to fish for, harvest, or possess all species in the snapper grouper management unit"

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

DOGKILLR
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting on the dredging to start with the money I send in for boat registration. Heck, pretty soon I won't be able to leave the harbor anyways.  
wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they did. At this point eff every member of the advisory councils that just rubber stamps everything  
slimey
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean a separate permit for rec reef fishing? Trump needs to defund these jerks. Government Goblygook.

Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimey wrote:
Does this mean a separate permit for rec reef fishing? Trump needs to defund these jerks. Government Goblygook.

Yes

If these folks get their way we will need to buy a fishing license from the feds to fish for or have in possession and species in the snapper grouper complex

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be wrong but I doubt it::: Bet this don't affect the commercials !!! hail hail hail And if so , not to the same extent!!! wall wall wall  
Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ga wrote:
Might be wrong but I doubt it::: Bet this don't affect the commercials !!! hail hail hail And if so , not to the same extent!!! wall wall wall

It is a recreational permit

Does not apply to commercial or for hire, only private fishermen

Capt_John_C
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ga wrote:

You are very wrong because commercials already have to spend about 60 grand on a permit to enter into the grouper snapper fishery. Using this latest action to try and disparage commercial fisherman shows that you know little to nothing about commercial fishing, so maybe you should not attack a group of people when you have little grasp of the facts or issues ?

As for the money generated, it will not go to help fishing in any way, the money would go into a governmental general fund according to SAMFC.

SAMFC is out of control, they use bad science to make up bad amendments to justify their own existence. They have drafted 3 times the amendments our Constitution contains in just the last few years, the Constitution has been around a good bit longer.
email procastinatorsportfishing@gmail.com
We specialize in vertical jigging and trolling combo trips! Call today for the trip of a lifetime. 252-838-1228

Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt John C
Followed your dialogue with the SAFMC on their facebook page and thought you made some excellent points.

This group is out of control and has been trying to eliminate or severely restrict bottom fishing for decades. All of their mandates have relied on a computer model that showed the red snapper population down to 100,000 fish in total

Garbage in, garbage out! But if the garbage out allows them to continue with their push to eliminate fishing and fishermen, well then by all means it is the "best available"!

12 gauge
The commercial fishermen are under assault too. Their entire fishery is under a scheme to privatize it so a handful of fish dealers can own the entire quota. They also have to buy two permits and retire one just to be able to participate and then live under the threat of total shutdowns

Matador
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't run a boat no where near as long as some folks on this site but from my time running a boat all I see is reduced limits, increased size limits, more closures, degrading inlets, more management and more permits and licenses. All that money and "extras" and not a dang thing has really gotten better that I can see. A rec. permit for grouper snapper complex ain't going to solve jack!

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him THINK.

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt John C; I know that no group feels the burden of one sided legislation more than the comm guys and my response to this topic as you can see did not specifically state this one issue in my post... My response is in reference to all the restrictions put on the shoulders of the rec fishery , ie; netting 2/3 across creeks and limiting rec guys access to areas that some comm boats regularly fish, ect,ect,ect. I cannot help but to feel that if our (Comm. and Rec) fishery is in such dire condition/shape then it should be closed entirely for the species in trouble until it recovers..I know the comm guys fish for a living and have a large investment to protect , but if the fishery collapses we will all suffer and lose; (comm. loses a living: rec an enjoyable pass time and food for our own use) We both have much to lose in this issue. The argument of who buys permits for this or that, who gets treated this way or that will not matter when its all gone... IMO we need to hammer the official idiots and replace most of them....Believe it or not I'm more on your side of the issue than my posts may indicate and there's no need for us to bicker with each other when the problem lies outside our individual control......... mad  
Kato
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a link to the actual proposal? I looked and couldn't find it. What was the SAFMC reasoning for proposing the rec. permit?  
Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kato wrote:
Does anyone have a link to the actual proposal? I looked and couldn't find it. What was the SAFMC reasoning for proposing the rec. permit?

it was on the SAFMC facebook feed yesterday. When they publish the minutes from the workshop, I will try and post a link

Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info I got back from a request from the Council is if this is approved by the full council in June and then by the Secy of Commerce is that all money would go into the general fund. It would only be required of private recreational fishermen (charters, for hire and commercial already covered under other requirements so this is another push for sector separation)

Now my opinion only on this is this is being pushed under the guise of getting better rec data, but what it will ultimately lead to will be mandatory recreational reporting, log books and the SAFMC is already on record as stating they can require observers on rec boats at any time they wish.

Catch Shares for recs will not be far behind.

Yes, I am skeptical of everything this group does afterall, this is the same group that proposed a complete bottom fishing ban from 98 feet and deeper just a few years ago and the same group that manufactured a crisis involving black sea bass..

Capt_John_C
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain and simple, the council manufactures crisis to mandate regulations. Most of the new regulations are steering the fishery towards a pay to play sector separated government grab of a public resource for two reasons. (1) To restrict access to the fishery by everybody as a whole, both rec and comm. and (2) to allow a select few with vested interests to profit exclusively through private ownership of a public resource.

This is just another step in the council's quest outlined above. PEW, EDF and other quasi governmental environmental groups are pulling all the strings of the PUPPETS that sit on the council. Between the pressure from the enviros and the greed to line their own pockets, who would expect anything less than the kind of crap we have been seeing from this council ? Remember the SAMFC Grouper snapper visioning workshops, which I attended? There was strong opposition to any type of sector separation and or catch shares, and the Council had the balls to write up in their synopsis of the meetings that catch shares were mentioned as a possible solution. Then they attempted to enact a pilot catch share program that a couple of the council members were slated to take part in. They had an agenda during those meetings , just as they do in this later action.
email procastinatorsportfishing@gmail.com
We specialize in vertical jigging and trolling combo trips! Call today for the trip of a lifetime. 252-838-1228

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like Kato; does anyone have a link to this proposal, I intend to start writing
reps , they"reps " are up for re-election here in SC.... mad

WildCard
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt John C, I have been stoned in the past for suggesting the Agency is interested in only getting bigger with more control. Really happy to know i am not the only one beating this drum. It's a shame that the guy's with the most skin/experience in the game has the least say.  
Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://safmc.net/

Scroll down the page, lower left side under a section titled "Facebook Feed"

Then from there, scroll down to a post that starts with: "EDIT: Motions are being made folks. The Advisory Panel, which is made up of fishermen, just voted"

That will give you all the details currently available straight from the minister of propaganda at the SAFMC

On Facebook I asked them which two regulations would be retired per POTUS Trump Executive Order requiring two regulations to be retired for each new one. They are looking into whether or not that EO applies to them. Yes, really. roll

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich; does it surprise you in the least?? not me !!! You can rub their noses in shat and they can't smell it , it's nothing more than following the money trail that weighs their vote , not whats right or best for the fishery... mad Been having discussion on another thread about mis-handling large fish thats going nowhere either , I guess when the fishery is only a memory they'll believe. wall wall  
seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i can say is...wow. When is it going to stop?!?!?! I have always been one to obey and conform to all the laws and regs but over the last year alone, the big wigs on the hill are really getting out of hand. I just might have to look in to installing a secret storage compartment in the boat and start filleting fish and sticking them in there before getting back to the dock if this continues. Just sayin....

merrymarlin2
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of fishing one single day last year out of Homer AK. Bought my non resident day license for $25.00 and my King Salmon stamp for $15...
I didn't take long for our party of 4 to catch our salmon and the Capt. (a friend of a friend) filled the catch card as we caught them!
We then went fishing for a pair of Halibut each. It didn't take long for 3 of us to catch the two sizes we were allowed. All four of us kept fishing yet Capt. Eric insisted we couldn't not keep a fish for the 4th angler... She finally got one that was under 28" and we headed back in.
That is how tight regulations are in that amazing State and probably why the fishing remains that good.
With the number of new anglers on the SE Atlantic and the number of new boats with amazing electronics it may just unfortunately be necessary in the near future to be as strict as in Alaska!
Although i only bought a one day license I received early this year a 12 page survey with a 24 page mapsite booklet + a fish ID handout. Paid $40 in license fees for a salmon and two Halibut and probably took as much time going through the survey as catching the fish!
I've experienced what happened to the fish stocks over the short period of the last 35 years off the West Coast of Africa... Be glad we do have regulations even if they seem bothersome.
I'm certainly not asking for more regulations but thanks to these we experience some of the best fishing in the world!

[/img]

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merrymarlin;;; The issue with me isn't in the regs/fees or even the season/area closures. My issue is still whats fair for one is fair for all !!!!!  

Insure with the Best in the Business

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: