Wind Dir: S (180°)
Wind Speed: 10 knots
Wind Gust: 14 knots
AT Ps: 30.07 in (1018.3 mb)
Air Temp: 75°F (23.7°C)
Dew Point: 73°F (22.7°C)
Water Temp: 73°F (22.6°C)

Tall windshield mod repair?
There are currently 713 Guests and 209 Members online NOW!
NC - 158 , SC - 32 , GA - 1 , WFL - 1 , SFL - 1 , AL - 1 , LA - 2 , TX - 2 ,

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Tall windshield mod repair?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard
dag6572
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Tall windshield mod repair? Reply with quote

These newer boats come with tall windshields... which is fine in perfect conditions during the middle of the day. The problem lies when you're leaving early in the morning to go bust that inlet and the dew has settled on the windshield. So you end up standing to the side so you can look for the sand bars in the NTI and you are no where close to your throttle in case you need to make quick throttle adjustments. Then if you have been fishing all day and you get back a little later than you wanted and it's dark out... the dried salt on the windshield doesn't help you out either. Bottom line... I'm sick and tired of cleaning this windshield. most of the time I just make it worse anyways so I'm over it.

I've looked on youtube and seen a few videos on people cutting motorcycle and snowmobile windshields with some success. It doesn't look overly complicated. I think I am going to give it a shot because I'm getting a smaller windshield either way. I figure if I cut it and screw it up, I can just buy a new one. Either way... I'm getting a shorter windshield.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and has any input?

TIA

Bharbaugh
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have access to a band saw and a fine blade it would be cleaner. You should be able to finish the edge and polish by hand. just like shop class. Oh wait they don't do that anymore.

1982 McKee 17 / 150 Evinrude

GF16 Bateau Home made \"little Kinky\"
15 Nissan

Dws
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look online at Tap Plastics, they sell plastics, bending heaters and have instructions on how to form/bend and make homemade bend heaters, I made a windshield several years back but bought material from Mcmaster Carr, heated the bend locations with a heat gun. I cut the plastic with a table saw, rounded the top corners with a jig saw, sanded the edges then ran a propane torch quickly over the edges to give it a clear edge (melts it clear and rounds corners). It turned out great. Hope this helps  
Curmudgeon
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a chamois for the dew and a bottle of water for the salt ... shrug  
Less Fishing, More Catching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: