Wind Dir: NNE (30°)
Wind Speed: 21 knots
Wind Gust: 25 knots
AT Ps: 29.98 in (1015.3 mb)
Air Temp: 59°F (14.9°C)
Dew Point: 55°F (12.5°C)
Water Temp: 71°F (21.9°C)

dredge question
There are currently 547 Guests and 60 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

dredge question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
ADAM87
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: dredge question Reply with quote

Over the winter I built a dredge, 36" diameter with 6 arms, 6' long, fish strips and tinsel. I used 200lb mono and 50lb swivels per drop.

It works good at drift and live bait speed off the D-ring. I want to keep it on the D-ring but pull it downrigger style at 6-7mph, what size mainline wire and how much weight do I need? I searched but the threads I found have the answers crossed up in debates about where, how, when, etc to pull the dredge.

wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by D-ring? Transom tie-down?

I would NOT use wire. I'd use heavy mono so you don't tear your hands up pulling it in. Weight is going to depend on conditions and your dredge. Could be anywhere from 1-5 pounds.

ADAM87
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavescrash wrote:
What do you mean by D-ring? Transom tie-down?

I would NOT use wire. I'd use heavy mono so you don't tear your hands up pulling it in. Weight is going to depend on conditions and your dredge. Could be anywhere from 1-5 pounds.

Yes, transom D-rings.

I was thinking vinyl coated, but would use mono if I can get it strong enough. Not sure what lb rating I need for the mono assuming I go with a 5 lb weight.

wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 lb mono is typical just because it is easier on your hands. Anything from 130 on up will work though. You can use soft leader material.  
candyman
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 400 lb. should work fine and as stated earlier be much easier on the hands than any wire. We at BWC make one out of 400 with the first 10 feet or so closest the boat passed thru vinyl tube that helps out the hands and boat. It sounds like you have something similar to a StripTeaser dredge. We normally pair those with a 48oz, or 64 oz. weight with a squid skirt over the lead. I would make certain if using the trolling bar style weight, use one with the cable thru the lead. Also the heavier the swivel the better to prevent opening in the event of tangles. The reason the style that the cable goes thru the lead is important is because the style with the swivel made into the lead, the swivel will pull out of the lead and all is lost.

Look on www.dredgesandteasers.com and www.bluewatercandy.com for ideas. Good luck and you are smart to incorporate the dredge into your spread.

ADAM87
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
The 400 lb. should work fine and as stated earlier be much easier on the hands than any wire. We at BWC make one out of 400 with the first 10 feet or so closest the boat passed thru vinyl tube that helps out the hands and boat. It sounds like you have something similar to a StripTeaser dredge. We normally pair those with a 48oz, or 64 oz. weight with a squid skirt over the lead. I would make certain if using the trolling bar style weight, use one with the cable thru the lead. Also the heavier the swivel the better to prevent opening in the event of tangles. The reason the style that the cable goes thru the lead is important is because the style with the swivel made into the lead, the swivel will pull out of the lead and all is lost.

Look on www.dredgesandteasers.com and www.bluewatercandy.com for ideas. Good luck and you are smart to incorporate the dredge into your spread.

Thanks for the reply. It is very similar to the "Bazzinga" model but is a little longer. I think I will pickup a 64oz. I appreciate the feedback and enjoy using your products.

I did not use premade strips, instead I made my own. I cut strips from a roll of transparency film and fish are cut from double side printed holographic lure tape. Outline and details are made from a sharpie marker made to write on clothes and withstand washing. I have used it once slow trolling with 200lb mono lead and it held up. It looks like fairly realistic from above, and draws other bait fish to it. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow.

ADAM87
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredge pic, a little breezy outside

candyman
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice!! Stay with it dredges and teasers work and will help you catch fish. That's why you see the right people pulling em. It simulates bait and everything in the ocean eats.  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: