Backing up Waypoints

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -
Staff Online:Instant Message Site Admin Capt_John_CFind all forum posts by Capt_John_CCapt_John_C
Backing up Waypoints
Backing up Waypoints
Backing up Waypoints
September 23, 2017 6:10 pm EST
Wind Dir: ENE (60°)
Wind Speed: 12 knots
Wind Gust: 14 knots
AT Ps: 29.99 in (1015.6 mb)
Air Temp: 80°F (26.9°C)
Dew Point: 70°F (20.9°C)
Water Temp: 82°F (28.0°C)

Backing up Waypoints
There are currently 471 Guests and 58 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Backing up Waypoints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Matthew
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Backing up Waypoints Reply with quote

I have 2 Simrad NSE units and I am trying to backup all my numbers as well as find an app on my computer that will allow me to open up all my numbers and look through them. I transferred the file to my computer using a USB drive but the file is a ".usr" and can not be opened on my mac. What apps are you all using to store waypoints on your computer? I tried looking through Navionics web site but I don't want to buy any of their stuff without knowing if it s actually any good. (not saying it isn't I am just not very familiar it).I also tried "loadmytracks" but not really sure what I am looking at and I don't see a drop down bar for Simrad. Thanks in advance for any help!

In My Dreams
36 Yellowfin Ice Blue
Triple 300 verado\'s
--------------------------------------

lwr37
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with Simrad but my old Lowrance would output a .gpx file. Garmin Homeport will open .gpx files.
larryrowland@cecable.com
704-488-6607

Capt_Rich
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPX files are what is used to upload waypoints to supermap. I would highly suggest you write them in a logbook as well. Short of a flood or fire they don't erase easily.
Personally I upload my trips on supermap just so I can look at the data to compare it to my catch and what I observed while on the water that day/trip. Makes it a faster learning curve as well as having more than just caught a bunch/didn't catch sh*t. Moon tide solunar ssh chloro sal sst mld. What the break looked like for color and intensity etc etc. The more data in the higher degree of accuracy to future trips

captfields_sc
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gpsbabel to transfer my files into different formats like GPX to be able to be viewed and uploaded to supermap and such.

As far as Navionics' products, the charts are superior, in my opinion, to what you already have pre loaded on that unit. Great navigational charts as well as sonar charts (1ft contours fishing charts) and advanced map features. Definitely an upgrade to the charts you have on the unit and you can benefit by getting the most out of the units capabilities. Cant go wrong with the nav+ or you can go with the platinum+ to get extra features such as satellite imagery overlay and 3D views, etc... It is a region specific card though, so you would have to get the right card for you.

Matthew
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using gps babel and it actually ended up giving my computer a virus (and didn't work). I am pretty frustrated something so simple has become such a challenge....

For Navionics charts can you upload your waypoints directly on to the chart?

Also am able to transfer my numbers straight from my simrad as a .gpx so i tried garmin homeport still had no success.

In My Dreams
36 Yellowfin Ice Blue
Triple 300 verado\'s
--------------------------------------

Sailormike
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gps bable has always worked for me there are several programs out there that you can view your waypoints in. nautic insght works well too
www.bluewater-marine-rv.com
www.bluewatertransport.net

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: