Wind Dir: NE (50°)
Wind Speed: 14 knots
Wind Gust: 17 knots
AT Ps: 29.98 in (1015.3 mb)
Air Temp: 80°F (26.8°C)
Dew Point: 69°F (20.4°C)
Water Temp: 82°F (27.9°C)

Pursuit 2700 Repower and upgrades
There are currently 472 Guests and 62 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Pursuit 2700 Repower and upgrades
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard
BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those Marine Power motors from Michigan Motorz? Whats the HP of them?
I an thinking about a re-power in the somewhat near future. It looks like you went with carbs rather than MPI.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets
Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans

Cape Fear Anglers

captcrsty
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryTurano wrote:
Are those Marine Power motors from Michigan Motorz? Whats the HP of them?
I an thinking about a re-power in the somewhat near future. It looks like you went with carbs rather than MPI.

Yes, I got the partial silver package. They are new vortec 5.7, rated at 315 hp. I went with carbs because I couldn't justify the add expense of switching to fuel injection.

One issue I ran into was I had to cut some relief into my engine covers as these motors are a bit taller than the originals. Top of the fire arrestor was hitting the bottom of the cover. They are .5 inch taller than the old motors.
[/url]

BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I will be replacing a 5.0 Volvo Penta. I am going to go to the 5.7, as I feel the 5.0 is under powered. She was 250HP when it had TBI. I pulled it all out and went to a carb. So I am probably at 225 HP now. Mine sits under the helm (I have a jack shaft) so the height will not be a problem. Is it a closed cooling system. Where raw water just cools the heat exchanger and goes out the manifolds. So you have fresh water and anti freeze going through the block? I guess that should make the motor last longer because of no salt water going through the motor. Do they give you any idea if the manifolds and risers would last any longer? Or are we still looking at between 3 and 5 years? I flush my motor out with salt away. So I am flushing the motor and manifolds and risers. If I go with FWC I guess I would be flushing manifolds and risers only.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
Submarines and Targets

Cape Fear Anglers

captcrsty
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryTurano wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I will be replacing a 5.0 Volvo Penta. I am going to go to the 5.7, as I feel the 5.0 is under powered. She was 250HP when it had TBI. I pulled it all out and went to a carb. So I am probably at 225 HP now. Mine sits under the helm (I have a jack shaft) so the height will not be a problem. Is it a closed cooling system. Where raw water just cools the heat exchanger and goes out the manifolds. So you have fresh water and anti freeze going through the block? I guess that should make the motor last longer because of no salt water going through the motor. Do they give you any idea if the manifolds and risers would last any longer? Or are we still looking at between 3 and 5 years? I flush my motor out with salt away. So I am flushing the motor and manifolds and risers. If I go with FWC I guess I would be flushing manifolds and risers only.

You're welcome. My cooling system is a closed system. The block and exhaust manifolds are fresh water and antifrezze. There is a stainstell block off plate between the riser and the manifold to keep out saltwaterering the manifolds and block.
My exhaust manifolds were one of the few parts I could reuse. They had been replaced at prior to me buying the boat. They are at least 5 years old and are like brand new. From the people I have talked to exhaust manifolds on a closed cooling system should last the life of the engine. If the are maintaned regualry.
I replaced my risers and elbows because they were looking a little crusty on the inside. Also getting them apart was a real pain. I finally took a 5 pound sledge hammer and busted the riser open to get them off the manifold. Risers and elbows general rule of replacement is every 5 years.
At the end of the year I flush my raw side with saltaway as well. I shut the values to my strainers. Then open the strainer and use a garden hose with a sprayer attachement to keep the strainer full and run the engins. So I flush the raw pumps,transimission coolers, heat exchangers, and the exhaust from the risers back. I don't know if doing this will extend the life of the risers and elbows beyond 5 years, but it makes me feel better.

BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. I am going to contact Michigan Motorz.

USN Submarine Veteran
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
Submarines and Targets

Cape Fear Anglers

captcrsty
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Splash part 2 Reply with quote

Apparently I didn't copy all my post from splash day.
Met Eddie early Sunday morning to get the boat in the water by 10:30.
We connected the hoses to the raw water pumps back up and made sure all connections were tight. Cleaned up the deck and got all unnecessary tools and parts out of the cockpit.
We then got the slings under the boat and lifted the boat off the stands so we could paint the spots where the boat was setting on the stands. Put the zincs on the shafts, rudders, and trim tabs. Made one more check in the boat to make sure all hose connection were tight and the raw valves were open. Last thing I did before I got out of the boat was to make sure the plug was in and it was tight.
Time to head the boat to the water. When we got to the water, we made one more visual check of the boat to make sure we didn't miss anything.
Eddie eased her down to the water, with the boat still sitting in the sling I got on, once in the cockpit I made sure nothing was leaking or taking on water.
Nothing left to do but turn and the batteries on and hit the key. Started the port motor first, it started on the first hit of the key and then promptly died. Hit the key a couple of more times and noting. Problem was one of the leads got pulled of the fuel pump. Pressed it back on and put a tie wrap on it. Hit the key again and the motor started right away. Hit the key on the starboard motor and it started on the first hit.
We let the motors warm up and get operating temp for a bout 10 minutes.
My gauges were still reading 180 -200 degrees. We got out the temp gun and check the at the thermostat housing , heat exchangers , intake, exhaust manifolds, and risers and the temp there was following the thermostat temp. Port motor was reading 140's and starboard in the 160's (starboard has 160 thermostat).
Eased her into reverse out of the sling and out of the dock. Headed down the water way for a short sea trial. We ran her down past the Holden beach bridge and turn around just past Provisions and headed back to her slip. Never took her past 1200 rpms. The boat ran great, much smoother and quieter than before.
No major issues were found during the run. Issues that we found packing nuts were too tight needed to be backed off a bit. Port motor oil filter had a slow drip around the oil filter seal, starboard dipstick was dripping a bit and needed to be tightened. The biggest issue was to figure out why the temp gauges were so far off. Other than that it was a successful first sea trial.

seayacharlie
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captcrsty,

I have enjoying reading, and viewing the restoration, and repower of you boat. Looks very nice, and I know you have had allot of satisfaction in all the hard work you have done.
Really looks good. Hope to see you boating and fishing
around Holden Beach soon. Nice job.

captcrsty
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seayacharlie wrote:
Captcrsty,

I have enjoying reading, and viewing the restoration, and repower of you boat. Looks very nice, and I know you have had allot of satisfaction in all the hard work you have done.
Really looks good. Hope to see you boating and fishing
around Holden Beach soon. Nice job.

Thanks seayacharlie,
It's good to be on the downhill side of this now. I few more things to get done before this phase is done. Then I will spend the rest of the year fishing and just enjoying the boat.
It will be this winter before I get the hardtop built and rear deck re-cored.

If you past by the mairna and see us on the boat, stop by anytime.

hblac
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the refurb! Is this the same Allison Belle that was at Holden Beach Marina for many years?

captcrsty
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hblac wrote:
Great job on the refurb! Is this the same Allison Belle that was at Holden Beach Marina for many years?

Yes, I have had her for four years now.

PL240
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job  
captcrsty
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all Reply with quote

Well things haven't gone as planned. I was thinking at this point that I would have everything dialed in and be fishing, nope! mad
Between family issues, work and weather, I didn't get a lot of time on the boat in August. I got down for along weekend the second week of August and got the dash and electronics wrapped up. At that point I was thinking that the next time I came down, I would do nothing but hit the key and get all the break in hours done on the engines and transmissions completed.
Didn't work out that way. Got down last Thursday and spent Thursday and Friday getting ready for our kids to get here for the weekend. The thinking was we ride up to Southport on Saturday for lunch.
Went down to the boat Saturday morning and got with Eddie to dial in the timing on the motors and make sure everything was good to go. We spent about an hour making runs from Bettys up to Lockwood Folly inlet and back. Never a hint of a problem. Engines sounded good and happy, no vibrations from the running gear. Pulled back into the slip happy!
About an hour later everybody shows up at the Marina, hops in the boat. With the motors all warmed I put the Starboard engine in forward , nothing! Boat doesn't move. Shut the engines down, pull the starboard engine cover and transmission fluid is all over the bilge!
wall wall wall Shortest ride ever! Tell everyone sorry but change of plans. We are going to the pool!

captcrsty
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all Reply with quote

Went to the boat after lunch on Sunday to see if where the leak was from coming from. I looked at it a little bit on Saturday and it looked like it was coming out of the top of the bell housing. I didn't look any further after that because I know what that meant!
Eddie was kind enough to come and take a look. He was hoping it was just a lose fitting or a plug came lose. Cleaned off all the fluid from the transmission and put down some clean bilge diapers. Added two quarts of transmission fluid and started the engine. Didn't take 5 seconds to confirm!. The front seal on the pump had pushed out! We made a plan to pull the boat Monday after lunch and then to pull the starboard engine and transmission.
Needless to say I am a bit discouraged at this point.

captcrsty
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PL240 wrote:
Great job

thanks

captcrsty
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the transmission out today. The front seal had been pushed out.  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard All times are GMT - 4 Hours
 Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: