Simrad Nss evo3 transducer, what should I go with?

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -
Staff Online:
September 20, 2017 5:40 am EST
Wind Dir: W (280°)
Wind Speed: 10 knots
Wind Gust: 12 knots
AT Ps: 29.98 in (1015.4 mb)
Air Temp: 80°F (26.4°C)
Dew Point: 74°F (23.1°C)
Water Temp: 82°F (27.8°C)

There are currently 497 Guests and 89 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Herc55
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Simrad Nss evo3 transducer, what should I go with? Reply with quote

I have a 22ft seahunt , will do some trolling with majority being bottomfishing. Probably fishing 300ft or less for the most of my fishing. Which ducer should I consider for our waters to that depth?  
AboutTime2Fish
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paired a B175M with my evo2 and have been very happy. If you are looking specifically to bottom fish in less than 300ft of water, you might look at the wide beam versions of the B175, B175H-W. I did not instal one of the BSM sounder units. Have been out to 800ish ft of water and still had a picture all the way to bottom.

Capt.Barbosa
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd do some research on THT there is alot of good info on there about the evo 3 and ducers. Not a ton of simrad users on this site....more of a garmin crowd here.

If you want one that will do it all.....med and high chirp, 83/200 broadband, downscan, and side scan. total scan transducer, have heard mixed reviews.

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-US/Products/Echosounders/Transducers/Simrad-TotalScan-Skimmer-en-us.aspx

I wouldn't worry with side or down scan unless you do alot of fishing inshore/nearshore. I've got it on my evo 2, but rarely use it. I'd go with one of these chirp ducers:

the b175m like mentioned above(single channel). Or if ur feeling real froggy you can go with one of the dual channel chirp ducers to get the full capabilities of the evo 3.

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-US/Products/Echosounders/Transducers/

good luck

Last edited by Capt.Barbosa on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
BottomDollar2
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an NSS EVO2 only use it for the GPS and autopilot. Have a side scan transducer on it. Haven't really even looked at it in the ocean.
I'm considering the high end transom mount dual frequency chirp transducer as opposed to the thru hull.
I have a through hull on my raymarine c80 and really like it but it's obviously not chirp.

Post what you go with and how you like it.

AboutTime2Fish
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try bandofboaters.com and post in the marine electronics section. They have a good collection of knowledgeable folks over there that actually work in various areas of the boat business.

Capt.Barbosa
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-US/Products/Echosounders/Sonar-System-Picker/

just found this....some pretty good info for ya. Wish i had seen this when i was picking out my ducer 2 years ago. For my boat 24 ft long, less than 800ft depth, and mostly bottom fishing.....it recommended the B175H-W thru hull.

Herc55
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys and recommendations. It recommended a B75M. I would get a dual chirp if money was not a option. Found a guy on THT that goes by the name semperfifishing. Seems like he is a guru of all things transducers. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and pick his brain. I'll report back on what he tells me.  
stackchaser
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herc55 wrote:
Thanks for the replys and recommendations. It recommended a B75M. I would get a dual chirp if money was not a option. Found a guy on THT that goes by the name semperfifishing. Seems like he is a guru of all things transducers. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and pick his brain. I'll report back on what he tells me.

Gil (semperfishing) is full of good info. Service after the sale is not the best, but thats just MHO. Might want to check with BOE marine as well. I would not recommend international marine that advertises a lot on tht. Good luck and let us know how it works out as I have a evo 2 and looking at a new transducer in the near future.

Sandtiger
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 for the TotalScan. I just installed an EVO3 with T.S.  

Insure with the Best in the Business

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: