Dom Wave Period: 6 sec
Average Period: 5.0 sec
Mean Wave Dir: ESE (115°)
AT Ps: 30.19 in (1022.4 mb)
Air Temp: 77°F (25.2°C)
Dew Point: 68°F (19.9°C)
Water Temp: 77°F (25.0°C)

Why I love make up Charters out of Oregon Inlet fishing center
There are currently 511 Guests and 3 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Why I love make up Charters out of Oregon Inlet fishing center

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
cheeks
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Why I love make up Charters out of Oregon Inlet fishing center Reply with quote

This last May I did something for the first time and loved it. I went fishing on a "make up" charter out of Oregon Inlet.

First, some of you may not know what a "make up" Charter is, so I will explain. This is when someone doesn't want the full expense or in my case have the time to round 4 or 5 friends to Charter a boat and the Charter puts together 2 people here, 3 here, and 1 there and splits the cost 6 ways. When you get back to the dock you all tip the mate individually, split the the fish(at Oregon Inlet this is really easy because of their fish cleaning service) and go on your way. The reason this is is to do at ORegon Inlet fishing center is they have 30 boats to fill. I just go online fill out the form, pay $340 on my Credit Card and they take care of the rest. The only thing is you don't know until possibly as late as the night before if you are a go for that day. I don't consider that a problem because you don't know even if you are going on a full Charter till the night before because of the unpredictable nature of the weather up there.

Here is the beauty of this for someone like me. I own my own business and work all the time and have kids. I don't know when I'll be free to go until the last minute. I could for example, go on there website and sign up for next Saturday and if they have something(they usually do) and I'm fishing! As soon as they put together the charter they will call you and let you know which boat you are booked on. You won't know who you are fishing with until the morning of the Charter at the dock. Some people may not like this, but I enjoy it. I make 4 or 5 new friends and have a blast.

In my opinion there are no bad boats in that fleet. At a minimum your going to be fishing on a custom boat with a captain of 20 years experience and a mate with atleast 5 or 10. The last time I went our mate Charles had 40years experience. He used to mate for Omie Tillet himself many years ago. This guy can fish!

One word of warning about the OI fleet. Those guys are seriously competitive! They all pull back to the dock at the same time and every boat wants to have the most fish. They ain't screwing around. They are determined to put as many fish on the boat as possible and you better get up to speed real quick! When 8 rods go off at once they are not shy to start barking orders, yelling, whatever it takes to get the fish to the boat. I have fished on Hatteras Charter boats before and found them to be more laid back. OI, be ready to fish!

Btw, the May/June fishing out of OI is simply ridiculous. Bigeye, Yellowfin, Blue Marlin are all there. I have seen a boat come back with 1100lbs of Bigeye. an average day during this time is 400lbs of Tuna and Mahi with possible Marlin release thrown in.

If you have any questions just ask

Brian
Restoration Boatworks
910297-9676

cheeks
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to include this. I like staying at the Park Service campground across the street. $28 dollars a night. In the morning all you do is drive 200yds park in front of your boat and go.

A trip for me including Charter, 20% tip for mate, fish cleaning, campground and food and gas is $500. Expect to come back with 20-50lbs of cleaned fish in May or June.

chumbucket
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info, thanks for sharing

WildCard
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shameless plug here. That isn't the only place to do make up trips out of OI. We do them as a normal course of business on the Wild Card fishing out of Broad Creek Marina in Wanchese. Make up trips are almost always a "slam dunk" trip. You have folks who have never met previously and half way through the morning they are talking about getting together for next years trip. I have recognised the ability to afford a full trip, has been going steadily down for years. My approach is to get the folks together and fish around their budget. I never have required a full boat of six people, the folks split the cost and the fish evenly. We cater to the "blue collar" folks and families. We've had some really good fishing this entire season, expect it only to ramp back up with the approaching Fall temperatures. Frank, Wild Card Charters  
DrLuckyDog
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I have done make up charters out of Oregon Inlet many times. Its a blast. Meet new people each time. Last year went out with my son in September and our mate was Nick from Wicked tuna tv show. He is a nice guy. We had a good time. I have been fishing out of OI since I was a teenager... And someone sent me a picture of a picture last year that is hanging in the men's bathroom inside the store and there I am probably 30 years ago checking out the days catch. That's what we did every day we would go to OI and checked out the days catch. Man I was skinny.  
Carlmon
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea, especially meeting new people and making new friends.  
cheeks
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlmon wrote:

I was apprehensive about doing it at first. Now I love it. Plus it is so much easier to call OI fishing center or another charter and just say "I want to go fishing!" instead of trying to round up four or five friends, figure out who is free when, where they want to stay, etc... One call and it's done. They handle the rest.

cheeks
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildCard wrote:
A shameless plug here. That isn't the only place to do make up trips out of OI. We do them as a normal course of business on the Wild Card fishing out of Broad Creek Marina in Wanchese.

I'll give you a ring!

Brian Apple

kicker30
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheeks wrote:
WildCard wrote:
A shameless plug here. That isn't the only place to do make up trips out of OI. We do them as a normal course of business on the Wild Card fishing out of Broad Creek Marina in Wanchese.

I'll give you a ring!

Brian Apple

I'd be interested in joining in as well sometime.

cheeks
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kicker30 wrote:
cheeks wrote:
WildCard wrote:

I'll give you a ring!

Brian Apple

I'd be interested in joining in as well sometime.

Awesome. I never even thought about till your post maybe we can get a few from here on a trip. That be a blast.

The May/June fishing up there is just ridiculous. It has totally spoiled me. I'm now addicted to checking fish reports from OI in the spring!

Carlmon
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheeks wrote:
Carlmon wrote:

I was apprehensive about doing it at first. Now I love it. Plus it is so much easier to call OI fishing center or another charter and just say "I want to go fishing!" instead of trying to round up four or five friends, figure out who is free when, where they want to stay, etc... One call and it's done. They handle the rest.

Sounds total fun with less hassle.

Onslow Bay Boatworks

SeaView Fishing Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: