private schools within an hour of Holden Beach?

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -
Staff Online:
December 12, 2017 4:30 am EST
Wind Dir: WSW (240°)
Wind Speed: 23 knots
Wind Gust: 27 knots
AT Ps: 29.89 in (1012.1 mb)
Air Temp: 61°F (16.3°C)
Dew Point: 46°F (7.6°C)
Water Temp: 64°F (17.5°C)

There are currently 479 Guests and 8 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
bigjohnnc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: private schools within an hour of Holden Beach? Reply with quote

Anyone got a low-down on private high schools in the area? I know there are a couple in Wilmington and I'm sure there are some in the Myrtle Beach area.

The reason I'm asking is I'm a public high school teacher and can retire in about 5 years and I'm working on planning out my second career. I'd love to talk the wife into moving down full time and working my second time around in a private school (so I can pull my state retirement and a decent salary).

Any first-hand info would be appreciated!

Flatfishskiff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I come along ? I am not retiring but if a private school have CTE I am in !  
Matador
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the area. But if I were a teacher I would look into the on-line private schools where teachers are available if students need them but when not needed they grade student assignments and track progress. My son uses an on-line private school and I have always thought that the teachers have a cool job as they work from a computer anywhere they happen to be located. Just my .02

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him THINK.

fishangel
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a retired SC and NC high school teacher. My wife is also a retired SC and NC high school teacher, along the way she also taught in private schools in Fl, Ga, and SC. I doubt that she would ever go back to the "politics", and other assorted stuff with private schools. I do not recommend teaching in a private school, she taught in some very good ones. We looked long and hard at lot of schools in Fl while we were in SC and decided to come to NC. It all depends of what you want to do with your life, where you want to live and a lot of things. Fortunately, you have five years to figure it out. Check out DOD schools!  
bigjohnnc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught some online courses through NC Virtual High School and will probably look at some of the private online offerings as well. It's a cool gig but much more time consuming than people think (especially if done right). I did it during the summers for several years and it was crazy.

I know there's politics in private schools, but there's plenty in public schools too. My wife teaches at a great private school, and I teach at a pretty darn good public school.

Anywho, just getting some options and looking at possibilities. Who knows, I may get a "real" job in 5 years!

Capt. Cane
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Academy of Coastal Carolina and Southeastern Christian Academy both in Shallotte are good schools. Check em out
Aftco
Anglers Marine
Electric Visual
Sanuk
Ocean Outfitters
www.holdenbeachfishingcharters.com

meine001
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: wilmington Private Schools Reply with quote

My kids go to Cape Fear Academy, which is a private school here in Wilmington-- grades pre-k through 12. About 50 kids/grade. Nice facilities, good administration. I attended private school growing up in Georgia and it is very similar-- what I would consider a "standard" private high school. It is the main private school here in Wilmington. There is no Catholic high school here in Wilmington, although there has been discussion about one every since we moved here 9 years ago. Not sure if it will ever happen. There are a couple religious-based private schools about which I know much less-- Coastal Christian High School and Wilmington Christian High School. There is another private school in our sports league in Harrells NC-- Harrells Academy, but it is very small and in a very rural part of the region. Not particularly near the coast. There is also a school in our sports league in Kinston -- Parrott Academy. Kinston is not on the coast either, but is not too too far. About 45 mins from New Bern which gets you to the water and about an hour or so from the beach. I only know what I have seen of their sports fields/facilities when we visit for the kids' sports. It looks like a nice campus. I don't know anything about the myrtle beach area-- my sister and brother in law live there but their kids go to public school. I would bet that there are private and Catholic schools there.
Hope this helps. Happy to talk to you more if you have specific questions, especially about Cape Fear Academy/Wilmington. You can PM me any time.

Onslow Bay Boatworks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: