February 24, 2018 12:40 am EST
Wind Dir: S (180°)
Wind Speed: 14 knots
Wind Gust: 16 knots
AT Ps: 30.30 in (1026.1 mb)
Air Temp: 72°F (22.1°C)
Dew Point: 65°F (18.3°C)

Dogs and Guns?
There are currently 412 Guests and 5 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Dogs and Guns?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
dontcatch
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Dogs and Guns? Reply with quote

I am researching the idea of getting a dog.

The dog will be an alert dog and also a buddy in the house as well as out.

Have not figured out the details as yet, but am getting there. In other words how will it be to be owned by a pet...LOL!

I have built a small (about 50 feet max) handgun range in my back yard and shoot 50-150 rounds several days a week. Over 5,000 rounds so far of anything from 22 LR, 9mm, 40, 357 Sig, 45, 38 spcl/357 Magnum and 44 spcl/44 magnum. I have shot 556 and 545 and the range handles it without a problem No ricochets or problem except I am spending more on ammo and purchased 5 guns last year...LOL!

How will I adapt a pound dog to constant gun fire? How will I affect its hearing. How will I protect its hearing and any other potential problems.

The dog will preferable medium sized and not a "yap" dog or pit bull or mix. My preference is something with some German Shepherd or Lab or Retriever mix others seem ok also.

A pound dog is very high on the list as that would be an animal whose life I may save.....maybe it mine.

I have not owned a dog or been around one much since my teen years (I am approaching 70) and that was walker deer hounds and other totally outside dogs used for hunting and not as pets.

Any thoughts any of you experienced dog owners have would help in my search/decision.

OH, LOL, the dog will hopefully be trainable to go to the refrigerator and get it and me a beer!

downeaster
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might want to choose something with short hair although I do like the border collies. Just bought some guns myself and might come by and practice someday if I ever get an invite. Have a 22 mag revolver and a 9 mm S&W MP2.0. HINT HINT  
bperry
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a beagle, fits all your needs  
bperry
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a beagle, fits all your needs  
12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partial to the border collie , I Think they are the smartest breed alive, buts thats just imo..... As far as gun fire it'll depend on how you train them . As a pup you'll need to start with something that just makes a minimal low volume pop and praise them until they no longer even react to the pop noise except to look for the praise and attention. Just move up in sound intensity slowly from there... naturally you can't blast their ears off with any sound meerly few feet from their head , slow and patient and it will pay off... Had a many hunting dogs and yard/house dogs that wouldn't raise their head except to see maybe where it came from, some wouldn't even look to see but they had been raised around gunfire .... The ones not raised with it don't take kindly to it !!!  
wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A border collie requires a ton of exercise and activity. Adoptions/rescues are great. If you don't have a lot of experience with dogs, stay well away from a German shepherd or German shepherd mix. Get a medium size mutt that appears to have a calm personality, and just put them in the house when you are shooting, At your age, consider an older dog for sure.  
dontcatch
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

downeaster wrote:
might want to choose something with short hair although I do like the border collies. Just bought some guns myself and might come by and practice someday if I ever get an invite. Have a 22 mag revolver and a 9 mm S&W MP2.0. HINT HINT

de, you would be welcome ,,,, bring your own ammo and targets...lol.

Also I drink Michelob Ultra... range fee for after the shooting practice.

I might teach you some things! And it is better than shooting you when you attempt to steal my maters.

Aussie Shepherd strikes my interest...or a mix....I have questions on several breeds or mixes with me being able to exercis

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John do ya think Rachel will let you have a dog in the first place,,, She may not want to keep up with a dog and fetch your beer... A better choice fora dog might be a ST - Bernard that comes with a keg already filled with michelob extra on his collar;;;; I'd better get off this puter before Gail finds me drunk and posting trash, She'll hide my JD and coke.... See ya at MAD !!!!  
LookinToHookem
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, before you pull the trigger (pun intended) on an Aussie Shephard, do some research. While pups they need to be constantly amused/busy/paid attention to or there will be HELL TO PAY. A member of my family not named Stuart(narrow it down?), fell in love with one, bought it, brought it home. Beautiful pup, energetic, loving, POSSESED BY THE DEVIL. mad Since he was in the yard all day by himself he would find ways to amuse himself. The wiring harness off the boat trailer, 4-wheeler trailer, plugs out of my creek boat, and so on. And when I would get home he would bring them up the steps to show me! Oh, almost forgot, tore the marker lights off the boat trailer too. He is no longer with us. wtg

To those that don't know me, NO, I didn't kill the dog, he is alive and well on a co-worker's farm with playmates.

Poor Rachel, not YOU and an Aussie, have a heart!!!!! lol lol lol

lmao lmao lmao

www.militaryappreciationday.org

blueoceaneyez
I-Mapper
I-Mapper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get the Shepherd! Not only will they be protection, your best loyal friend, and FUN, you will also never go to the bathroom alone again! Ask any GSD owner... lol

I agree with what 12ga said above about introducing dogs slowly to guns then going from there. I'd get a young dog and start training early though.
Online: www.SecondWindFishing.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SecondWindFishing
Instagram: www.instagram.com/capt.amanda.king

kaneely01
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed someones advice when I got a lab puppy a few years ago. Started with mild banging on his food bowl before he ate and then progressed to shooting a cap gun at meal times. Guess it worked because he is not gun shy at all.

If you are considering an adult dog maybe you could discuss it with the shelter since an older dog will be harder to acclimate especially if they have had a rough past. At end of the day the they will want to find a good match for the owner and the dog.

Good luck!

downeaster
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will see what I can do Dontcatchmany. By the way maybe you should stay away from the border collie and take a look at this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py2sSYptg58  

Last edited by downeaster on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to reiterate that I think staying away from dogs that are energetic and require experienced, firm owners like GSDs and other shepherds is going to be the best option for the OP. OP is an older gentleman who hasn't been around dogs much in a very very long time. A medium size (30-40 pound) already house trained mutt is, IMO, the best choice. Mutts have hybrid vigor, and a shelter dog is almost always very grateful for a home.

Puppies are a huge pain in the ass and there is no need to get a purebred unless you are going to show, work the dog or have the patience, time and experience to really enjoy and work with something like a GSD, border collie or Aussie Shepherd. Those dogs require a lot of attention. Also remember that a dog is a commitment of at least 10 years, and they can be quite expensive.

You mention the possibility of the dog being an alert dog - that requires special training and are usually purchased from specialized breeders and trainers. So that precludes getting a shelter dog and is a significant $$$ investment - at least 4 figures and usually 5. So if that's what you want then be prepared for that cost. Unless by alert dog you just mean one that will let you know when someone comes to the house. If you just want a companion and a dog that will let you know when you have a visitor, then a shelter dog is a great choice.

Having a pet is a huge adjustment to lifestyle, so really evaluate if you are willing to make the changes required.

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John ; all above is good advice and as much as love the B-collies they are high octane !!! Gail has a Sheltie that is very loving and a very good alert dog although once she started aging started having hip/joint issues that we found out is a very common issue with most all collie breeds....
My vote for you would be a beagle ;smart , very loving , short hair , family friendly , and a good mouthy alert dog , although they sometimes don't know when to stop alerting !!! shrug

wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ga wrote:
although they sometimes don't know when to stop alerting !!! shrug

I would stay away from a beagle for this reason

downeaster
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a beagle smells a rabbit then the beagle is off to the races from what I have seen. Imagine that Dontcatch has plenty of wild rabbits since he has such a pretty vegetable garden next to the wild woods.  
RabbitsWithGuns
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I have rescued 12 dogs in the last 25 years. I have only purchased 2 as puppies of the 12. For your consideration can I suggest Southern Rottweiler Rescue. They have rescues from all over the United States, their health issues are resolved, their social patterns with other animals, children, training skill level noted. They are neutered, chipped, and best of all delivered to you. You pretty much know what you are getting before it arrives. Young pups to adults to seniors.
They are all kennel trained, might help with the shooting noise.
I use to train bird dogs to hold on shoot. It's not an easy task, and not all dogs will. Having the dog inside and kenneled. Hell, you might fine a deaf one for adoption.
Anyway, Good Luck

dontcatch
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downeaster wrote:
If a beagle smells a rabbit then the beagle is off to the races from what I have seen. Imagine that Dontcatch has plenty of wild rabbits since he has such a pretty vegetable garden next to the wild woods.

The rabbits do not mess with the veggie garden. Raised beds are 18" high. They are mostly after the clover. Have had a pet rabbit hopping around but a fox showed up and the pet rabbit disappeared. Even have a black bear appear at times. And a goodly number of snakes after my wifes baby birds.

RabbitswithGuns, a deaf dog might not work. One of the biggest reasons (other than getting the beer...lol) is that I am hard of hearing (a place long ago in SE Asia had a lot of kaboom kaboom in close proximity) and the dog would know the UPS truck was outside. One of the dogs that I have seen at the pound and that I really liked was deaf.

Thanks folks!

12ga, hope to see ya at MAD!

SouthernSon
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister in law has 5 border collies, they are mostly squirrelly mean sobs. Pick another type buddy.

fishing-misfit
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two German Shepherds and plan to always have good blood line shepherds, they have made believers out of us. The younger male is 110 lbs and protection trained, we can take him in public and even pet stores off leash with no issues. Awesome friends to have around and very protective of owners. I don't shoot close to my dogs but you can research military K9 to see what they do to protect the dogs hearing when shooting. As far as training, I have trained a horse to be comfortable around guns. Started with someone a couple hundred yards away, shoot one time and move closer and so on. After a few sections of that I could shoot off the saddle  
sirwolf
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the posts on this thread remind me of the movie "Funny Farm" where Chevy Chase moves to the country and wants a dog! Makes me laugh thinking about that movie. Anyway, I would go with a rescue lab or other rescue adult dog from a reputable facility. Puppies are cute and fun but are alot of work especially for those of us that are beyond the half century mark. Good luck in whatever you decide.  
dontcatch
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dontcatch wrote:
downeaster wrote:

The rabbits do not mess with the veggie garden. Raised beds are 18" high. They are mostly after the clover. Have had a pet rabbit hopping around but a fox showed up and the pet rabbit disappeared. Even have a black bear appear at times. And a goodly number of snakes after my wifes baby birds.

RabbitswithGuns, a deaf dog might not work. One of the biggest reasons (other than getting the beer...lol) is that I am hard of hearing (a place long ago in SE Asia had a lot of kaboom kaboom in close proximity) and the dog would not know the UPS truck was outside. One of the dogs that I have seen at the pound and that I really liked was deaf.

Thanks folks!

12ga, hope to see ya at MAD!

CUTiger2011
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a beagle now. First non-lab I've ever had. I'd say beagle fits most of the description. Mine is an only dog and actually very quiet for a beagle. Only problem is the train-ability part. Mine nearly un-trainable. At least coming from always having labs, I failed miserably at training this one. I'm sure somebody who is accustomed to hounds could have done a much better job. She's very hard headed. I love her to death, but I think I want to try a German Shorthair Pointer next.

I say look for a smaller framed lab, or lab mix going the rescue route. Lab-beagle should fit the bill yeah

SPEARIT
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still looking and close to Jacksonville, check the pets section of Lejeune Yard Sales. There are always some dogs on there like what you're looking for.  
Lunchmoney
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SouthernSon"]Sister in law has 5 border collies, they are mostly squirrelly mean sobs. Pick another type buddy.[/quote]

We have 3 and they are all sweet as can be to people. Other dogs on their turf, not so much. Not nice to chipmunks, squirrels, or birds either. How does a dog catch and kill a bird???
They are energetic when young, but they are very smart. They love to play, dig holes, chew up stuff when they are young. Not for everybody.

SeaView Fishing Services

Stormwater BMP Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: