Question about Tow Boat US - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -
Staff Online:Instant Message Site Admin Capt_DaveFind all forum posts by Capt_DaveCapt_Dave
Question about Tow Boat US - SaltwaterCentral.Com
Question about Tow Boat US - SaltwaterCentral.Com
Question about Tow Boat US - SaltwaterCentral.Com
June 21, 2018 10:20 am EST
Location: 33.436N 77.743W
Wind Dir: SW (230°)
Wind Speed: 14 knots
Wind Gust: 17 knots
AT Ps: 29.85 in (1010.9 mb)
Air Temp: 82°F (27.5°C)
Dew Point: 79°F (25.9°C)
Water Temp: 82°F (27.6°C)

Question about Tow Boat US - SaltwaterCentral.Com
There are currently 641 Guests and 115 Members online NOW!

 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Question about Tow Boat US
 
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Author Message
Haynick
1st Mate
1st Mate


Joined: Mar 20, 2015
Posts: 86
Location: Bogue Inlet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Question about Tow Boat US Reply with quote

I have been told that GEICO Marine owns Tow Boat US, and if one is insured through GEICO Marine (which I have 2 policies ) that Tow Boat US is included in the policy. I am not concerned about my in-shore whale, but I am concerned about my gulf stream boat that regularly goes 50-60 miles from port. Can anyone speak from experience if I am paying for Tow Boat for no reason.

Thanks,
Forrest
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haynick
1st Mate
1st Mate


Joined: Mar 20, 2015
Posts: 86
Location: Bogue Inlet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whaler
_________________
1989 24 Ft. North Coast Twin 200 OX66s
1987 17 Ft. Boston Whaler 90 Yamaha
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cashmorkie
1st Mate
1st Mate


Joined: Oct 01, 2013
Posts: 59
Location: Topsail Beach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something Id want to question GEICO directly on, then possibly a follow up with Tow Boat US. IMO their response will hold more weight than opinions.  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PirateJuan
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Mar 25, 2010
Posts: 172
Location: Wilmington, NC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cashmorkie wrote:
Sounds like something Id want to question GEICO directly on, then possibly a follow up with Tow Boat US. IMO their response will hold more weight than opinions.


This. Also, would have preferred to think that you owned an in-shore whale.
_________________
2007 Scout 175 Sportfish
1998 AquaSport 215 Explorer
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haynick
1st Mate
1st Mate


Joined: Mar 20, 2015
Posts: 86
Location: Bogue Inlet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I noticed my typo after the post and fixed it in the next post. Sorry, but I don't own an in-shore whale, but I do own an in-shore Boston Whaler.
_________________
1989 24 Ft. North Coast Twin 200 OX66s
1987 17 Ft. Boston Whaler 90 Yamaha
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LookinToHookem
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: May 06, 2014
Posts: 669
Location: Elm City

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was on their website.....


2015 BoatUS is transferred to GEICO, another Berkshire Hathaway company, to better align for growth. BoatUS Marine Insurance creates a much-needed specialized insurance policy for peer-to-peer rental networks. On February 13, BoatUS Founder Richard Schwartz crosses the bar at the age of 85.



Dang, I was going to take my grandsons to see your whale, glad you cleared that up! lol lol lol
_________________
LookinToHookem
Albemarle 247 Express

www.militaryappreciationday.org
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Sep 21, 2009
Posts: 2652
Location: Wilmington NC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that Tow Boat US is owned and operated by West Marine. I have been a member for about 11 years. Had occasion to use them twice. First time was when my old 2 stroke ran out of oil on the way back from the stream. They came out and delivered a gallon to me. They were pretty quick in getting to me. The second time was when I was bringing my "new to me" boat up from Southport and my motor crapped out and would not start. I was just north of the ferry crossing. They came and towed me to my dock, again I did not wait long.
I would contact Captain Brooks at Tow Boat US Wrightsville Beach and ask him directly. For $149.00 it is very cheap insurance!
_________________
Game Changer
Albemarle 24CC

USN Submarine Veteran
Defender of the Deep
Knight of Neptune
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets
Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans
Cape Fear Anglers
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Haynick
1st Mate
1st Mate


Joined: Mar 20, 2015
Posts: 86
Location: Bogue Inlet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Tow Boat and GEICO; for $33 per year my boat is covered for up to 3K in towing, Tow Boat US advised they have retrieved many boats from the Big Rock and the bill isn't even close to 3K. I kept my Roadside Assistance with Tow Boat US for $24 per year. So, for $57 per year I am covered for everything v/s the Gold Unlimited I was paying $160 per year. Could have been saving this for the last 5 years, that is when GEICO acquired Tow Boat US.
_________________
1989 24 Ft. North Coast Twin 200 OX66s
1987 17 Ft. Boston Whaler 90 Yamaha
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Capt.Barbosa
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Oct 17, 2006
Posts: 712
Location: Oak Island, Chapel Hill, NC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this a few years ago, they are both owned by Berkshire Hathaway. I was thinking it might be covered by geico too (or thought I could atleast group them together), but after talking with multiple people from geico and tow boat, found out this is not the case. (or the best I could tell....through conversations with some not so smart people at geico) The only thing I was able to get was a discount on my insurance with geico because I was a boat US member(towboat). Hope this helps...if you are able to find out any different please share.  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Capt.Barbosa
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Oct 17, 2006
Posts: 712
Location: Oak Island, Chapel Hill, NC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynick wrote:
I called Tow Boat and GEICO; for $33 per year my boat is covered for up to 3K in towing, Tow Boat US advised they have retrieved many boats from the Big Rock and the bill isn't even close to 3K. I kept my Roadside Assistance with Tow Boat US for $24 per year. So, for $57 per year I am covered for everything v/s the Gold Unlimited I was paying $160 per year. Could have been saving this for the last 5 years, that is when GEICO acquired Tow Boat US.


you are correct, but that will be an insurance claim to cover ur out of pocket towing costs. What happens if you get towed twice? There was a lot of fine print on this a few years ago that made me hesitant to use the insurance for towing and not tow boat. To me it was worth the extra 100 for piece of mind.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Posts: 2895

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly as above. You need to clarify a lot of fine details. And if you go through your insurance company you will have to pay the towing bill upfront before they release the boat back to you then you submit to your company and get reimbursed. A lot of headache to me. And by the way Tow boat is much more willing to give a discount on membership each year if you get the right person.
_________________
2011 SEAHUNT Gamefish 25
TWIN 150 Yamahas
McAttacK

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rlpsystems
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Sep 05, 2008
Posts: 121
Location: N 36 40' 51.54 W 79 51'23.19

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynick wrote:
I believe I noticed my typo after the post and fixed it in the next post. Sorry, but I don't own an in-shore whale, but I do own an in-shore Boston Whaler.

A classic Whaler at that!!!
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
glacierbaze
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: May 24, 2010
Posts: 717
Location: Chapel Hill/Pine Knoll Shores, NC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynick wrote:
I believe I noticed my typo after the post and fixed it in the next post. Sorry, but I don't own an in-shore whale, but I do own an in-shore Boston Whaler.


In the top right hand corner(it is only visible in your own posts), there is an
"EDIT" box, so that you can correct your mistakes in the same post.

Nothing anyone tells you about coverage means squat, unless it is in writing from the company.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jun 26, 2006
Posts: 3504

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever said 3k will cover towing from the Big Rock lied. The bill would have been 3k just to get towed from 8 miles off the Cape Fear for me a couple years ago.  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: May 03, 2010
Posts: 237

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say about the water assist part of boatus but the unlimited gold saved my azz on road side assist .. They paid total towing charges for tow vehicle AND boat to the tune of over $600.00...Been useing them for 5 yrs.and plan to continue !!!!  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Oct 08, 2015
Posts: 568
Location: Winston Salem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavescrash wrote:
Whoever said 3k will cover towing from the Big Rock lied. The bill would have been 3k just to get towed from 8 miles off the Cape Fear for me a couple years ago.


I was thinking the same thing! Let's just say if you had no kind of tow assistance or tow reimbursement with insurance coverage and your boat took a sh*t at the big rock you would be better off setting it on fire and sinking it after calling the coast guard to come get you if your boats value is less than 15k.
_________________
23\' Winner Cuddy Sport 225HP Honda
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jun 26, 2006
Posts: 3504

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seapro180 wrote:
wavescrash wrote:
Whoever said 3k will cover towing from the Big Rock lied. The bill would have been 3k just to get towed from 8 miles off the Cape Fear for me a couple years ago.


I was thinking the same thing! Let's just say if you had no kind of tow assistance or tow reimbursement with insurance coverage and your boat took a sh*t at the big rock you would be better off setting it on fire and sinking it after calling the coast guard to come get you if your boats value is less than 15k.


Yeah there aren't many towing bills LESS than 3k
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toad
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Posts: 611
Location: Raleigh/Atlantic Beach

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was on my neighbors boat a few years back and we lost steering just inside the knuckle about 16 miles out. Was told the tow bill would have been $1800.00. $149.00 is cheap peace of mind. Cant imagine what a tow from the Rock would be. 💰💰💰
_________________
Sailfish 2660 w/twin Yamaha 150 4 strokes.

Key West 2300CC Bluewater
SOLD.
Raleigh/Atlantic Beach NC.
\"Dirty D\"
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Haynick
1st Mate
1st Mate


Joined: Mar 20, 2015
Posts: 86
Location: Bogue Inlet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-4 Thanks for the replies. The under 3K price for a tow from the Big Rock came from the owner operator of the Morehead City Tow Boat US, he also is the only local GEICO Rep. and is a stand up guy. He advised I'm covered across the board and I kept the Gold Roadside Assistance from Tow Boat.
Thanks for all the replies, I like Glacierbaze 's the best...Kill 2 birds with 1 stone !!!!
_________________
1989 24 Ft. North Coast Twin 200 OX66s
1987 17 Ft. Boston Whaler 90 Yamaha
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PirateJuan
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Mar 25, 2010
Posts: 172
Location: Wilmington, NC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LookinToHookem wrote:
This was on their website.....


2015 BoatUS is transferred to GEICO, another Berkshire Hathaway company, to better align for growth. BoatUS Marine Insurance creates a much-needed specialized insurance policy for peer-to-peer rental networks. On February 13, BoatUS Founder Richard Schwartz crosses the bar at the age of 85.



Dang, I was going to take my grandsons to see your whale, glad you cleared that up! lol lol lol


This. I don't think your standard BoatUS towing membership is in any way related to Geico (other than being under the corporate umbrella). I think the main reason for the alignment with Geico was for them to cover the true insurance arm of the business. i.e. when you get your renewal stuff, then 90 more things in the mail about BoatUS marine insurance, that's pretty much Geico. Either way, still two separate products.
_________________
2007 Scout 175 Sportfish
1998 AquaSport 215 Explorer
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanY
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt


Joined: Jul 25, 2005
Posts: 583

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Towing. Reply with quote

Capt.Barbosa wrote:
Haynick wrote:
I called Tow Boat and GEICO; for $33 per year my boat is covered for up to 3K in towing, Tow Boat US advised they have retrieved many boats from the Big Rock and the bill isn't even close to 3K. I kept my Roadside Assistance with Tow Boat US for $24 per year. So, for $57 per year I am covered for everything v/s the Gold Unlimited I was paying $160 per year. Could have been saving this for the last 5 years, that is when GEICO acquired Tow Boat US.


you are correct, but that will be an insurance claim to cover ur out of pocket towing costs. What happens if you get towed twice? There was a lot of fine print on this a few years ago that made me hesitant to use the insurance for towing and not tow boat. To me it was worth the extra 100 for piece of mind.


I used my insurance company's tow assistance. They called sea tow for me. When I got done the bill was roughly $400 including the membership that they make you pay when you use them. I was reimbursed by Geico the full amount I spent which covered the seatow sign up.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message









Stormwater BMP Services

















SeaView Fishing Services





Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT
 
 Page 1 of 1

 

Jump to:   
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001-2008 phpBB Group
Forums ©