Wind Dir: N (350°)
Wind Speed: 16 knots
Wind Gust: 17 knots
AT Ps: 30.09 in (1018.9 mb)
Air Temp: 55°F (12.8°C)
Dew Point: 41°F (5.0°C)

Military Appreciation Day Morehead City 2018! - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Military Appreciation Day Morehead City 2018!
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
ScottK
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Military Appreciation Day Morehead City 2018! Reply with quote

Hey there! Another year is upon us and a super fantastic Military Appreciation Day event is shaping up for Morehead City, NC our first event of the year!
Did you know this is MAD’s 13th year doing this!!! WOW, thousands of volunteers, boaters, Captains, mates and close to 5,000 Troops out fishing. It is a tremendous success and only because of folks like you reading this!
June 2nd is event day and luckily over the past few years the weather has cooperated, and the fish have done the same. Don’t know what this is all about? Well simply put we match fishermen and women who are willing to donate a day of their time, skills and boat to take out some Active Duty Military service men and women for a day on the water. We feed you and everyone has fun!
Everyone knows someone in the Military in some way. Your family member, a friend from work, or maybe you know someone who was in the Military, Veteran or Reserves. If you do, then you know these brave men and women have already laid it on the line for the ultimate sacrifice if needed for us, to enjoy our freedoms, one of them being freedom to go fishing.
Consider sharing your time and talent with some of them by taking them out fishing in whatever style you choose. Please use the sign up link here http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/morehead-city-chapter-boat-volunteer-registration/ You will receive a confirmation email with your ID number in it.
There is much more than just the fishing though! We have opened Troop registration and you will start to see your assignments in late April. You will need to login to our site using you ID number here http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/event-status-login/ and your password.
When you have your Troops info, contact them via email and/or phone. Give them time to respond as many have training or other assignments that may limit their access. You will set up the day! Tell them what to bring (sunglasses, cooler, sunblock, white sole shoes, etc) what not to bring (hangovers, bananas, etc) and it is your boat, your rules! Where to meet, what to expect, and you can get their experience level. Up to you about alcohol, smoking etc. It is like arranging a day of fishing with friends.
Our Captains meeting will be Friday, June 1st in City Park at 5 pm. (Jaycee will have a band) and will consist of you receiving shirts, goodie bucket, chance to win door prizes and of course some great cooking by our Hobo Junction cooking team! If you have attended one of our events before you know that it is some fine eating that goes on!
We’ll discuss the event, reminders, honor some volunteers, and do any last minute changes that are needed.
EVENT DAY!!! - What everyone has been waiting for! Same setup as last year, we will have use of Jaycee Park during the day. That will be the main pickup and drop off point for most of you. Anyone wanting to leave from their marina, home dock or other location just indicate so on your registration and we will work it out. It is no problem.
You will check out with us that you are fishing and then the party back on the hill gets started! We provide fun for the Troops families as well. Lots of land based games, boat tours, kids fishing, bounce house, prizes, etc. We even charter the Beaufort Pirate’s Revenge ship and crew for a fun filled kids adventure! We will need volunteers to help with boat rides, provide family one hour fishing trips, and other activities. So if you have interest in that, please sign up here! http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/morehead-city-chapter-committee-volunteer-registration/ choose the appropriate committee (are to help in) and someone will be in touch.
We will provide some fish cleaning back at Jaycee Park on the docks, and this is your photo opportunity chance! Last few years it was a virtual seafood market there and a spectacle to behold.
Then later we will have another good ole cookout and give away some more prizes this time to the Troops! Once we have the meals finalized I will update everyone, but still it is so good you won’t forget it anytime soon.
So again we welcome anyone new this year (hopefully you’re hooked) and all of our returning volunteers who have helped make this event a rousing success over the years.
A few details we can pass along now:
- We will have ALL slips at Jaycee Park Friday and Saturday nights. Please indicate if you would like one, first come, first served. We are looking at getting a few more slips donated at various places leading up to the event.
- Sea Tow is back with us again providing free towing and assistance for any MAD boat on event day. They also provide the life jackets for the kids boat rides and are wonderful people and supporters of ours. Consider a membership with them.
- Captain Dave of this website will provide free “Fish Here” maps on the night before the event. I will email them out to our MAD Captains as soon as I have them.
- We will again have the fishing license waiver for your guests, a copy of it will be given to you and posted on our website.
- We will be seeking hotel and block room discounts again this year.
- There will be a limited amount of ice we can give away, but are working to secure more.
- Stay tuned for special prizes and more announcements.
Be sure to stay in touch with us on Facebook – MAD Morehead City page is https://www.facebook.com/MADMoreheadCity/ and we have a special page just for Captains to share info at https://www.facebook.com/groups/137458123577678/ please like and share it’s free and help boost our post!
Please check out our supporters as well - http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/mad-supporters/
Of course you can PM me here or ask any questions on this post and someone will be happy to answer them. I look forward to seeing you all again and meeting any newcomers!

Scott

Millennium
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be there for my third year.  
Bharbaugh
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Swell Time" is ready to serve another year. Very rewarding. I have made lifelong friends and fishing partners doing this.

Highly recommended.

1982 McKee 17 / 150 Evinrude

GF16 Bateau Home made \"little Kinky\"
15 Nissan

paynefish
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you sign up and it is blowing 25 the day of the event or the weather turns on us? Do you reschedule it?

The Happy Place

LookinToHookem
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a named storm(Irma last September...Southport event), reschedule. If it's just "blowin"...plan B, or C, or D. Nearshore, Inshore, Finz lol To most of these young heroes, the catch is just the icing on the cake. Being out there with their buddies relaxing doing something a lot of them seldom if ever get to do, and being surrounded by people that appreciate them and what they do is the big thing. I've had to tuck and run behind Shack before and let them play with sharks, they loved it.

Any questions, let us know, glad to answer any and all, Stuart wtg

www.militaryappreciationday.org

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart is dead on in his reply...(one of the few times)Haha!
The troops are happy to just get out of the barracks for a day of fun doing most anything. I've taken them out to fish and they wanted to drive the boat as much "if not more" than fishing ... Smiles every where regardless of what they got to do : chin Might have been a different story ifn i had put them on more fish... lmao lmao wall wall

Bharbaugh
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always bluefish and Mackerel. Get your nearshore tacklebox ready just in case.

1982 McKee 17 / 150 Evinrude

GF16 Bateau Home made \"little Kinky\"
15 Nissan

SouthernSon
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this again. Great cause for all the right reasons.

Mppheel
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Military Appreciation Day Morehead City 2018! Reply with quote

The guys in the photo were the troops from my boat!!!!!!
Very nice guys!

2008 Sea Hunt Triton 240
2000 Robalo 2120

Mppheel
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Military Appreciation Day Morehead City 2018! Reply with quote

The guys in the photo were the troops from my boat!!!!!!
Very nice guys!

2008 Sea Hunt Triton 240
2000 Robalo 2120

Alikat
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone that has volunteered already. As you already know as much as the soldiers enjoy this I think my favorite thing is the smiles I get at the end the day. We told my two Marines we took out year before last, “guys we may not catch anything but you’ll have a good tim”. The 18 year old said “sir we’re already having the best time ever. We’ve never been out fishing in the ocean before”. At the end of the day they were all smiles and laughing and telling all their buddies stories. It just don’t get any better feelings for me than that.

LookinToHookem
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright fisherpeoples, bout 100 more boats we can really show some heroes a good time!

Remember, it doesn't matter if you don't think you're a great/good fisherman, they don't care.(they even let me take guys out wtg )

You'll get to see a lot of old friends and be surrounded by a LOT of Patriotic People that know what these guys/gals do for us each and every day.

You'll get to see a lot of smiling, happy kids running around enjoying the day with mom/dad.

You'll get a feast!

You'll smile all day and wake up smiling Sunday because of the great event you helped make happen!!!

Any questions, ask away!!!!! wtg wtg wtg

cjdad
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed up for the first time and looking forward to giving back to those who risk their lives for my freedom  
Mppheel
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will not regret it!

2008 Sea Hunt Triton 240
2000 Robalo 2120

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish or work just one event and you'll be hooked with trebs that won't pull out... Between S-port and Charleston I'm working on 7-8 events and can't wait for the next one ;; really hope to include MHC this year if possible,, I even owe Lookintohookem (STU) a trip up there to help / show him how to catch ! SOMETHING/ANYTHING roll wtg wtg  
LookinToHookem
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ga wrote:
Fish or work just one event and you'll be hooked with trebs that won't pull out... Between S-port and Charleston I'm working on 7-8 events and can't wait for the next one ;; really hope to include MHC this year if possible,, I even owe Lookintohookem (STU) a trip up there to help / show him how to catch ! SOMETHING/ANYTHING roll wtg wtg

eek eek eek

Never mind him guys, he's a WWI vet, not many left!

Or was it Spanish American George, I fergit!

lol lol lol

12ga
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't use I fergit , you was there too hail hail hail  
ScottK
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Just a few updates - We are at 49 boats waiting to crest 50! Our largest year was 117 boats but that included chartering the Shelf which no longer is an option :-(

So if you are thinking about it....wondering what it's like to share our passion with some true American Heroes...then sign up today!

Its the most fun you'll have all year and we feed ya good too!
We are looking for volunteers for family boat rides, and other areas of the event. Just go to http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/morehead-city-chapter-committee-volunteer-registration/ and sign up for helping at the docks, food and beverage, and family activities. Also looking for help on event morning running computers for check ins and later family registrations.

Volunteer your boat for fishing - http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/morehead-city-chapter-boat-volunteer-registration/

Don't forget our Facebook page, like and share our posts! https://www.facebook.com/MADMoreheadCity/

Hoping to see ya'll there - Scott

dontcatch
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't nobody posted much about this..... hail

It might take some effort and some time and some expense to volunteer to use your boat to take these young folks out fishing but the effort is well worth your trouble.

When we started this in 2006 we (we being a lot of fantastic humans) did not know what we were doing and pretty much how to go about it.

We struggled. But we (again, a lot of fantastic humans) kept at it. We were joined by many folks who had ideas and they jumped in and MAD(e) it better.

We quickly realized that with all the work and effort our volunteers put in to these events that in reality we, each and every one of us, were getting much, much more back in return.

The absolute joy of being around passionate people pulling these events off is better than almost any of the pleasures I have ever experienced.

It does not take much! When you see these military heroes smile and when you see their spouses and children smile with the Family Activities and hear their laughter you know that YOU have done something worthwhile and your heart will be proud.

As I have said many times since 2006 we can NOT guarantee you will catch fish and we can not guarantee what Mother Nature will do, but we can guarantee that you will meet the finest people this earth has on it.

We will guarantee that you will eat extremely well and if you AIN'T full you did not show up.

And, best of all, we guarantee that when you lay your head on the pillow Saturday night of one of these events you will have a big assed grin from ear to ear.

It does not take much to put a step forward and be rewarded by one of the best experiences of your boating/fishing life.

Fourfingers
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: MAD Reply with quote

Ill fill out the registration for my boat this evening after looking at my schedule. I am sure it will be fun

Robalo R302
Twin 300 yammies.

seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all still on the fence:
Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, someone who you would be taking out for the day, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including THEIR LIFE." Because of these men and women, YOU have the freedoms and liberties that you enjoy today. I know hands down if you were scheduled to work this weekend and you explained to your supervisor what this weekend was about, they would give you the weekend. Those that don't have to work and "just don't want to deal with it" just remember what these men and women have done for you. I think it would be reasonable to give them a few hours of your time to thank them. You will have a BLAST and will be kicking yourself for not participating in previous events. The MAD events are what I look forward to most every year and I hope all on the fence or that hasn't considered volunteering would either take the leap off the fence or reconsider volunteering their time as these men and women deserve this day 10 fold. There is over 500 people on this site alone at any given time, be it members or a mix of members and visitors. If we could get just half of that number, it would be PHENOMENAL!

Here is a video of last year's MAD MHC. This guy had never fished offshore or out of a boat. The smiles he gave this day and the great time he had weighed so heavily on my heart it's indescribable. In one single day, this man:
1) Took his first boat ride
2) Drove his first boat
3) Went offshore for the first time
4) Caught his first tuna AND
5) Caught his first mahi
THATS ALOT OF FIRST TO KNOCK OUT IN A SINGLE DAY!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hbAJUdgMqaA

seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all still on the fence:
Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, someone who you would be taking out for the day, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including THEIR LIFE." Because of these men and women, YOU have the freedoms and liberties that you enjoy today. I know hands down if you were scheduled to work this weekend and you explained to your supervisor what this weekend was about, they would give you the weekend. Those that don't have to work and "just don't want to deal with it" just remember what these men and women have done for you. I think it would be reasonable to give them a few hours of your time to thank them. You will have a BLAST and will be kicking yourself for not participating in previous events. The MAD events are what I look forward to most every year and I hope all on the fence or that hasn't considered volunteering would either take the leap off the fence or reconsider volunteering their time as these men and women deserve this day 10 fold. There is over 500 people on this site alone at any given time, be it members or a mix of members and visitors. If we could get just half of that number, it would be PHENOMENAL!

Here is a video of last year's MAD MHC. This guy had never fished offshore or out of a boat. The smiles he gave this day and the great time he had weighed so heavily on my heart it's indescribable. In one single day, this man:
1) Took his first boat ride
2) Drove his first boat
3) Went offshore for the first time
4) Caught his first tuna AND
5) Caught his first mahi
THATS ALOT OF FIRST TO KNOCK OUT IN A SINGLE DAY!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hbAJUdgMqaA

LookinToHookem
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now guys, if a MAD event has that kind of impact on us volunteers, imagine the memories that young Hero has from that day! You KNOW he's still talking about it and showing his buddy's the pics!!! Don't ya'll want some of that?????

Good on you captain, see you first of June!!!

wtg wtg wtg

ScottK
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we have passed 50 boats!

Do I hear 60?????

Titan
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I am deployed this year. I really appreciate all of the support each of you provide to your military. Some of you may or may not realize the positive impact you have on those service members and not to mention the everlasting memories they will remember for the rest of their lives. Hopefully the weather cooperates on the day of the event. I am looking forward to reading the reports.

SaltwaterCentral is my everyday go to spot while I am deployed, in order to kill time or just to provide entertainment. (Thank you Capt Dave) I cannot wait until next month when I can start seeing the Cobia and Grouper reports. Three years ago a friend of mine who goes by the name "Herc55" on here introduced me to SalwaterCentral formally known as Fryingpantower, he used to serve with me at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point. I have learned so much from everyone on here and it's nice to be able to read reports such as this one regarding the MAD event. Thank you very much.

captainbean88
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I wish I was off work. I'll be sure to tell some folks though!

2017 Excel Bay Pro 220 / VF200LA VMAX SHO
2015 Little red book that puts me on a lot of offshore boats (OUPV)
2007 Key West 2020WA / BF150 Honda (SOLD)
2005 Landau WeldTek 1652m

LookinToHookem
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan wrote:
Once again I am deployed this year. I really appreciate all of the support each of you provide to your military. Some of you may or may not realize the positive impact you have on those service members and not to mention the everlasting memories they will remember for the rest of their lives. Hopefully the weather cooperates on the day of the event. I am looking forward to reading the reports.

SaltwaterCentral is my everyday go to spot while I am deployed, in order to kill time or just to provide entertainment. (Thank you Capt Dave) I cannot wait until next month when I can start seeing the Cobia and Grouper reports. Three years ago a friend of mine who goes by the name "Herc55" on here introduced me to SalwaterCentral formally known as Fryingpantower, he used to serve with me at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point. I have learned so much from everyone on here and it's nice to be able to read reports such as this one regarding the MAD event. Thank you very much.

No sir...THANK YOU! You guys(and gals), are the reason MAD exists. You stay safe, come home, and let's go fishin!!!!!!!

Alikat
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan thank you sir for your service. Be safe and hurry back so we can take you fishing. 👍

LookinToHookem
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, 1 month out and about half-way there on boats...what are we waiting for??? It would be GREAT to break our all time record, but at least 100 boats would be great too.

On the fence...read back through this thread and see what some of the volunteer captain's have had to say about MAD events. You'll never have a more rewarding day on your boat! No boat...other ways to help too!

Remember, any questions about anything MAD related, ask away!!! Looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new ones!

Alikat
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need more help from everyone. My last count was that we have already signed up around 360 American heroes but we are way below our last year number of 119 boats. Please take a moment and help us out. We never have let any of these folks down and have no plans on starting this year either. Please help. wtg

Stormwater BMP Services

Onslow Bay Boatworks

SeaView Fishing Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: