Simrad GO7 Totalscan Transducer Placement HELP HELP HELP! - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -
Staff Online:Instant Message Site Admin Capt_DaveFind all forum posts by Capt_DaveCapt_Dave
Simrad GO7 Totalscan Transducer Placement HELP HELP HELP! - SaltwaterCentral.Com
August 20, 2018 2:50 pm EST
Wind Dir: SSW (210°)
Wind Speed: 12 knots
Wind Gust: 16 knots
Sig Wave Height: 3 ft
Dom Wave Period: 6 sec
Average Period: 4.1 sec
Mean Wave Dir: SSW (196°)
AT Ps: 30.03 in (1017.1 mb)
Air Temp: 83°F (28.3°C)
Dew Point: 78°F (25.5°C)
Water Temp: 83°F (28.1°C)

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Simrad GO7 Totalscan Transducer Placement HELP HELP HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard
autovalue
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Simrad GO7 Totalscan Transducer Placement HELP HELP HELP! Reply with quote

Have had this unit in for maybe 8 months now and have just been dealing with the poor performance of the transducer. I have always lost the bottom at any speed much over idle which obviously shouldnt happen BUT when I am bottom fishing I dont pick up anything in spots that I KNOW the bottom should light up. I have ordered me a new Lowrance BUT I am hard headed and would like to give this Simrad a chance to stay in my console beside the new Lowrance. Any help is greatly appreciated. Turbulence of the prop could be a problem however with the engine off bottom fishing, the T/D still doesnt pick up like it should and I have tried every setting in the book...if I move it to the right any I am afraid the trim tab will affect it!...thanks in advance!

See pics below

stackchaser
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autovalve

What are you having problems with...side scan, down scan or chirp? Are you running in auto and how deep are you fishing? What simrad unit as NSO might not support totalscan or you might need an update. Either way you have to change the settings for salt water.

autovalue
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: go7 simrad Reply with quote

I have the Simrad GO7...honestly I dont use the sidescan...may not have ever even tried it to be honest. BUT the downscan just doesnt pick up bottom where I can be right beside another boat that is picking up insane bottom. Not sure...  
Ratical
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Ducer Reply with quote

I have the same unit and have absolutely now problems, but I've talked to others and ducer's seem to be an issue. The ducer looks to low, but it may be the picture. Take a straight edge and put it on the bottom of the boat drop the ducer to the straight edge ducer should just skim the surface when on plain. It may be it just don't like the way your transom is designed or could be a bad ducer. Just FYI the guy i talked to the other day was having the same issues and had the same transom as you have.

Remember a transducer works by detecting the air bladder in fish. If u have lots of turbulence around or near your ducer its going to blink out.

ward35
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pic, I agree with Ratical looks like the transducer is below the hull bottom & too much angle. From the hull design & bracket, it does not look like you could mount it high enough to work properly  
steve-a
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out. Might help. Transducer mounting can be tricky and take adjustments to get it right.

http://www.sternmate.com/Where.html

autovalue
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to call Simrad and try to get someone on the phone. I definitely agree that it may be a inch or two too low and that is about to be fixed. However, what is confusing me is the fact that I dont pick up the same bottom as the boat an inch from me in 140ft of water. And we are drifting so essentially no turbulence exists. Again, in 50 ft of water it does decent...but I still cant run and pick up any bottom. Get out into deeper water and it doesnt show much at all in places that I KNOW moutains on the bottom exist.  
Ratical
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: go7 Reply with quote

yea i see your point should be no issues drifting...... Have you changed your frequency at all?????? Does that change anything????  
Ratical
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: go7 Reply with quote

With that being said have u manually changed your frequency to chirp or are u still transmitting at 200  
autovalue
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I have tried everything...I mean...140ft of water ya know..."Auto" should theoretically work just fine. Has on every other unit I ever used on other boats. 1000-2000ft of water I can see having to play with some settings but I have tried everything except a new transducer. Totalscan transducer. My buddy has a lowrance unit with just the basic 83/200 transducer that is 40 bucks anywhere you go and he can pick up the same bottom I did with other units/transducers...The bottom he is picking up in 140ft of water is flat as can be on my screen. Moutainous on his and catching fish like crazy....  
Ratical
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a bad ducer.......  
ward35
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In deeper water, Unless you use zoom or bottom lock your machine you will not see the ledges or bottom features, The transducer may set at the wrong angle with the bottom and the deeper the water the worse the return signal  
Ratical
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: go7 Reply with quote

i sent u a pm  
Kato
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the ducer looks way too low but I also have to wonder if that "overhang" from the stepped transom could be playing a role too. Perhaps "reflecting" signals back down and confusing the signal? Maybe a through hull ducer is the answer.

autovalue
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratical...tried to message you back but keep getting an invalid session message...Not sure what is going on

Thru hull may be the way I have to go BUT I am trying to avoid that. I mean, I have seen too many of these transducers just like mine work perfectly...

very frustrating!

autovalue
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratical...I have had this unit for close to 8 months I would say. Not in simulator mode because that confusion occurred when I first got it as well haha. I just got off the phone with simrad and they said I was running crazy old software. Like the original software that first came out. Dont really see how this could affect what I am talking about BUT I went ahead and bought a sd card and I am going to update the software. Where else would you try the transducer if you were in my shoes?

Thanks

Will

stevehes
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would back out those screws and slide it up as far as it will go until the bracket hits the top of your step.
Get a level (or straight piece of wood) and hold it to your hull, the transducer should be just above the level and parallel to it, adjust the tilt angle to get it right.

If you cant get it high enough move it to the transom and follow the same process to get the height and angle right.

But if your not reading bottom correctly an anchor I doubt any of this will fix it, sounds like the transducer is bad.

Contender 25 200 Verados
Contender 23 - SOLD

seapro180
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltwater is much more dencer than fresh water. The very first thing I would do is setting it to 83khtz. This will send a single signal down and will help clear up your screen. Also, don't run high chirp. Run it on medium chirp. And lastly, adjust the TVG.

stackchaser
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

autovalue wrote:
Ratical...I have had this unit for close to 8 months I would say. Not in simulator mode because that confusion occurred when I first got it as well haha. I just got off the phone with simrad and they said I was running crazy old software. Like the original software that first came out. Dont really see how this could affect what I am talking about BUT I went ahead and bought a sd card and I am going to update the software. Where else would you try the transducer if you were in my shoes?

Thanks

Will

Will,

Let us know if you have any problems updating. The software version is very important and they are making strides in many areas to improve all aspects of the unit and integration with each transducer...especially in salt water. 2nd everything that seapro180 wrote. If you are not using downscan you are missing a lot of important info. Not sure what you fish for, but it can be very helpful using side and down scan at same time. I would update and change your setting before moving your transducer. If you cannot see anything sitting still, chances are your software and setting changes might clear everything up. If you are still having issues running, then you know you need to move the ducer. Good luck!

Ratical
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: go7 Reply with quote

Yes do the updates, i would definitely move it up but as far as i could without drilling new holes I have my ducer installed about halfway between motor and trim tabs.
If that's near a chime you can move it back towards the motor a few inches

autovalue
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man you guys are great! I really appreciate all the feedback...the updates installed perfectly and I did move the transducer up as far as I could without drilling new holes. Unfortunately the weather was kinda crappy this weekend so I didn't get a chance to try everything out but I do know the screen at startup looks completely different and there is a whole new setting screen for the echo function. Fingers crossed for some good weather this coming week/weekend and I will keep you guys posted. I mainly troll the break but it's always nice to save the day on the bottom on those slow trolling days...don't necessarily taryet any bottom species but it's always nice to fill the cooler with triggers, bliners, bsb, and the occasional grouper. And always love trolling where I know there is good structure. Bottom line is I want the unit to work as it was designed and hopefully it will now. Thanks again for all the feedback  

Insure with the Best in the Business

Free Towing - Free Soft Ungroundings

Insure with the Best in the Business

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: