Dom Wave Period: 6 sec
Average Period: 4.2 sec
Mean Wave Dir: SW (223°)
AT Ps: 29.90 in (1012.4 mb)
Air Temp: 81°F (27.1°C)
Dew Point: 78°F (25.8°C)
Water Temp: 81°F (27.1°C)

Wax for new boat? - SaltwaterCentral.Com
There are currently 692 Guests and 132 Members online NOW!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Wax for new boat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard
Fishfull-Thinking
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Wax for new boat? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have a new Parker 2510 XLD that should be delivered in about 2 weeks. I have scoured the forum on best waxes to use for a brand new boat with no oxidation. The boat will be indoor rack storage in Southport, so hopefully the impact of sun rays will be minimal.

Seems like a ton of waxes and opinions on what is best. From my reading, I'm leaning toward one of these two:

Meguiar's M5616 Marine/RV Pure Wax Carnauba Blend- https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M5616-Marine-Carnauba-Blend/dp/B0000AXNLT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528996711&sr=8-1&keywords=meguiars+pure+wax

Meguiar's M-6316 Flagship Premium Marine Wax- https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M-6316-Flagship-Premium-Marine/dp/B0000AY60S/ref=sr_1_24_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528996808&sr=8-24-spons&keywords=meguires+flagship+marine+wax&psc=1

Am I on the right track? I'm a retired 68 year old who wants to take good care of the boat, and hopefully find something that is relatively easy on and easy off. I have a Porter Cable buffer and plan to use foam applicator pads to apply the wax. Will probably use the foam pads to remove as well, unless the old cotton towel method is just as easy and don't have to lift and use a buffer all day.

Suggestions........... input......... opinions?

Thanks in advance,
John Lyons
Fishfull Thinking

AboutTime2Fish
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the flagship premium marine wax, on my second season of using it now. 2-3 applications per year, but I'm kind of picky. It has outperformed 3M, west marine paste wax, and collnite. Have heard good things about Smoove but can't find it locally.

FullSpecdrum
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AboutTime2Fish wrote:
I've been using the flagship premium marine wax, on my second season of using it now. 2-3 applications per year, but I'm kind of picky. It has outperformed 3M, west marine paste wax, and collnite. Have heard good things about Smoove but can't find it locally.

When you say it has out performed colonite, can you give some details. That's what I've been using for the last few years. I've been happy with it but always looking for something better. I normally apply a coat of polish, then wax...then wax again a few days later. Repeat 2x per year with touch up wax here and there when I think I've stripped the wax from a particular area due to cleaning a stubborn stain.

ACP1969

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very happy with Marine 31 Products, definitely better than 3M  
Fishfull-Thinking
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys........... much appreciated.

John Lyons- Fishfull Thinking

Fishfull-Thinking
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys........... much appreciated.

John Lyons- Fishfull Thinking

AboutTime2Fish
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FullSpecdrum wrote:
AboutTime2Fish wrote:

When you say it has out performed colonite, can you give some details. That's what I've been using for the last few years. I've been happy with it but always looking for something better. I normally apply a coat of polish, then wax...then wax again a few days later. Repeat 2x per year with touch up wax here and there when I think I've stripped the wax from a particular area due to cleaning a stubborn stain.

I've got a solid Orange hull, and it starts showing a kind of faded coloring pretty quick. With the other products I start thinking of re-waxing in a matter of weeks and compoundng twice per year. The maguires compound is real good too btw. I'm 2.5 months since last compound and wax and thinking it could use another application no compounding. Here's a pic today after 2.5 months. Only seen water 4 times though...

cheeks
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím actually trying to make some videos on this soon.

First they are quite a few good marine waxes. But there are also a lot that are very average.

I use Collinite paste wax any time the temperature is under 80 degrees and Iím not in the sun. This is my favorite wax my you canít use it when the gel coat is really warm or hot.

For warm or hot days I use Farleca polymer wax. You can put this down in in 90 plus degrees in July with sun blaring down on you with no problems.

I also use Tree wax on colored hulls. You can also use in the sun, but not as user friendly as Farleca.

Thatís what I use. Thatís not to say that there arenít products that youíll get good results from, but thatís what I use.

Brian
Restoration Boatworks
910297-9676

Fishfull-Thinking
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, much appreciated!

From my research, I've been leaning toward Meguiar's M-6316 Flagship Premium Marine Wax. That seemed like a decent choice for a new boat, and one that is relatively easy on, easy off. Do you have experience with this wax as well?

Thanks,
John

Fishfull-Thinking
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, much appreciated!

From my research, I've been leaning toward Meguiar's M-6316 Flagship Premium Marine Wax. That seemed like a decent choice for a new boat, and one that is relatively easy on, easy off. Do you have experience with this wax as well?

Thanks,
John

cheeks
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used Mequiarís wax. Iím sure itís of atleast decent quality. They make some good products.

Iíll give you a rule thumb for marine waxes. The more difficult it is to apply and remove, the longer it lasts and the better it looks. For example, colonnite paste wax can be a pain in the rear if itís not 65 degrees and in the shade. Even then you have to be careful not to get distracted with a phone conversation or something and leave it on too long. But even with a few tricks itís really difficult to apply in the summer. However, the results are awesome.

Whatís more important is that itís a wax that you like to use and thus will use frequently. Btw, you cannot apply it too often. The more wax the better.

Fishfull-Thinking
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, you confirmed what I have experienced with waxes. The ones that were a total pain in the a$$ gave best results and longevity. Since I'm not a young buck any more I'm looking for something with reasonable longevity but most important easy on, easy off. I figure being in inside rack storage, it should help with the longevity.

Thanks again,
John

wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the Woody Wax XXX. That stuff was the best.  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: