Sea hunt gf25 verses Cape Horn 24xs - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
Select State -Ľ
Staff Online:Instant Message Site Admin Capt_DaveFind all forum posts by Capt_DaveCapt_Dave
October 16, 2018 4:10 pm EST
Wind Dir: SSW (200°)
Wind Speed: 8 knots
Wind Gust: 10 knots
AT Ps: 30.07 in (1018.3 mb)
Air Temp: 80°F (26.5°C)
Dew Point: 74°F (23.5°C)
Water Temp: 81°F (27.2°C)

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Sea hunt gf25 verses Cape Horn 24xs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Sea hunt gf25 verses Cape Horn 24xs Reply with quote

I own a gf 25 and am looking at a 2018 24xs any advice would be helpful! If you do own a 24xs pm me please! The Cape Horn says it's dry which I don't believe, both I'm pretty sure I'll take a beating in rough seas I just wanna know if I get fought in a bad situation in the ocean which is safer, it says unsinkable that's not what I'm asking just wandering if I get caught in big seas which is safer thanks  
Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gf25 is 2016 and ch24 is 2018  
Capt.Barbosa
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna be interesting....can't wait to hear the replies on this one.

I would say the horn, but im sure sh owners would disagree.

flatbottom
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to ride in both. Obviously you have ridden in a GF but if you are concerned about getting caught in rough seas my guess is you would want the heavier GF, 1300 lbs is quite a difference. I used to have a 26 Triton that tipped the scales at 4400 lbs and it didn't like the rough stuff, the CH is lighter than that.
facebook.com/redbuoyinvestments

PurpleGold
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been on a Cape Horn but I did fish next to one during the barta tourney a few weeks back. It was rough and we were fishing the inshore tourney with the kids (kings and spanish). We were about 12 miles out. I kept noticing the cape horns bow shedding water every time they trolled into the sea. Not shedding water with the bow, water was coming off the top of the cap, anchor locker area and rearward. Basically, the bow was dipping underwater as they were trolling into a head sea. Was not impressed at all..... It was 12-15 NE. Nothing crazy. We were in a 25 Parker CC and never saw a drop over the bow.  
buzz4prez
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 23T Cape Horn. None built stronger is there motto for a reason. Tough as nails and has been forever. I have had mine in some BS and Capt Barboosa above has been with me. Safest 26' boat imo, thats why I bought it, but each to there own.  

Last edited by buzz4prez on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timorjc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cape Horn is a solid boat. Pretty wet, but rides well. Not alot of storage. This hull rides very flat and requires an experienced operator who knows how to properly trim it.

Sea Hunt is not finished as nicely, areas of exposed chopper glass, cheap wiring, but overall a solid boat. A GF25 I was on recently had the trim tabs wired reversed, the helm arm rests were coming apart because of improper fasteners, and the rub rail was loose in places. This was a boat with 6 hours on it. All relatively small issues.

Personally, I would look for a used 26 CH with twin 200s. What is your budget and are you paying cash or a loan?

Tim

Fourfingers
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Boat Reply with quote

Don't Buy a Sea Hunt, I had one and will not even ride in one now, go with the Cape horn or something else just make sure you test ride whatever you buy, and take it in the ocean and compare the rides.

Robalo R302
Twin 300 yammies.

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourfingers wrote:
Don't Buy a Sea Hunt, I had one and will not even ride in one now, go with the Cape horn or something else just make sure you test ride whatever you buy, and take it in the ocean and compare the rides.

You aren't bitter are you? Good to know if I ever needed another crew I sure wouldn't need to worry about you going an killing fish. Too funny.

buzz4prez wrote:
I own a 23T Cape Horn. None built stronger is there motto for a reason. Tough as nails and has been forever. I have had mine in some BS and Capt Barboosa above has been with me. Safest 26' boat imo, thats why I boat it, but each to there own.

23T is a much different boat than what he is looking for and isn't even made today. Your comparison is closer to the modern 27.

If you were looking at a 27 or 31 cape horn you would have a different story, but in reality you will be back peddling to go to a 24. Not to mention wasting more money than what you have in yours now to not gain anything. Actually you'll loose a lot as far as storage goes.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

tireman
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with what suits your needs best.all will get you back if your careful and nothing extreme happens. I have the 27 onslow bay and it will wet your ass if the wind is blowing. you can roll in some rough conditions but you better have on your grundens.

gillraker
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been on a cc that you didnít get wet. Ride them both before you make up your mind. I would be more worried about how they drive.  
seayacharlie
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillraker wrote:
Never been on a cc that you didnít get wet. Ride them both before you make up your mind. I would be more worried about how they drive.

x2
To me Boat + water = Wet..... But oh how the ride changes
between boats. Being soaked on 100' head boats leave me
thinking what is s dry boat.

I would be happy with either boat, but the GF25 would be in
my price range. Good luck in your purchase.

Kato
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at both of the boats you mention but ended up buying a Cobia 261 a few months ago. Beefy and safe were some of my criteria too. It's still too new to have experienced one of those "Ooops..I really shouldn't be out here" moments but coming in through Bogue on an outgoing tide a couple of weeks ago the rig impressed me.

bigwayne17
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím a CH 24 owner.....I agree with werewolf from above.

I donít think you are gonna get much for your money by going from the GF to the CH. Having said this.....

I am very happy coming from a 23 tidewater to my current Cape Horn. A world of difference exists and I canít believe how much difference a couple degrees of dead rise (3 in my case) makes in the ride. A lot less pounding. Again, I am very happy with my CH 24.

From where I am now, and from where you are also, i would look toward the aforementioned 27 Onslow Bay, 31 Cape Horn, or 29 Freeman. A big price difference I am aware and there are many other options, but these would be my choices.

CW66
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you move up to at least a 27 don't waste your money.
I went with my current used boat because the ride is one of the best in a 26CC and it fishes big with a 9'6" beam. Jumps on plane, handles the slop and with the bell housing doesn't roll like many with a deep V. This boat is dry most of the time, but with the right wind and wave combination I will get wet.
The more Keel you have in the water the better the ride and handle. The Freeman is like 2 nails driving through the water. My dream Boat. I heard they weren't going to build the 29 anymore because of all the orders for the larger 34, 37 and 42's.
\"I play with Electricity!\"

Timorjc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these threads are hilarious when the OP is talking about $70-90k boats and people jump in with the "You should buy a (insert name of $600k boat here)".

A nicely optioned 34 Freeman is $580k.
A 31 Cape Horn is over $300 now.
A 27 OB will bust $212k with hardtop, 350s, dual Garmins, AP
A 34 Regulator with trip F300s is over $600k now.

I know as the 4 boats I listed are owned by members of this site and friends of mine.

Tim

fishangel
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Timorjc"]I think these threads are hilarious when the OP is talking about $70-90k boats and people jump in with the "You should buy a (insert name of $600k boat here)".

I know as the 4 boats I listed are owned by members of this site and friends of mine.

Tim
Every once in a while, there is just a great comment that puts things in perspective, great comment!

mullet
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24 Cape Horn is a hell of a boat. Two years ago I fished Oregon inlet the whole bluefin season. Everyday the big sport fishers went we went. Killed 10 tunas on it that year did I mention we didnít even have curtains? Solid ass boat it will kick the sea hunt in the nuts  
werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timorjc wrote:
I think these threads are hilarious when the OP is talking about $70-90k boats and people jump in with the "You should buy a (insert name of $600k boat here)".

Tim

I'm wondering how serious you are, Do you really know what your talking about?

Freeman 34 is about $320K loaded
31T cape comes in around $200K
27 onslow about $150K
34 regulator you may have me on as I don't know anything about those but you need to do some shopping or your friends seriously overpaid for their boats

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

flatbottom
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werewolf0711 wrote:
Timorjc wrote:

Tim

27 onslow about $150K
34 regulator you may have me on as I don't know anything about those but you need to do some shopping or your friends seriously overpaid for their boats

Agreed, I priced a 2017 32XS Cape Horn and fully optioned came in at $220K and the 32XS is optioned higher than the 31T
facebook.com/redbuoyinvestments

DOGKILLR
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a cat boat and don't look back. The 27 Ameracat I just sold was about as dry of a boat as I've ever ridden on, not to mention a great riding hull. Had some friends try to buddy boat on their v-hulls leaving in some slop out of Bardens. At the 14 bouy, I was losing sight of them to the rear and had to take a pee break for them to catch up. We had 4 on the boat, they each had 2. Yes, you would get a little sneeze every now and then, but never a drenching wall of water like on the v hulls. I made the mistake of having spray curtains made and never needed them except for keeping the cold air off of us. Ok, let's get out the popcorn. Lol.  
tegin1
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to the folks at Onslow Bay and the base price for the 27 is $180K before adding options, so I believe the $212 number Timorjc quoted is correct.  
Bharbaugh
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOGKILLR wrote:
Buy a cat boat and don't look back. The 27 Ameracat I just sold was about as dry of a boat as I've ever ridden on, not to mention a great riding hull. Had some friends try to buddy boat on their v-hulls leaving in some slop out of Bardens. At the 14 bouy, I was losing sight of them to the rear and had to take a pee break for them to catch up. We had 4 on the boat, they each had 2. Yes, you would get a little sneeze every now and then, but never a drenching wall of water like on the v hulls. I made the mistake of having spray curtains made and never needed them except for keeping the cold air off of us. Ok, let's get out the popcorn. Lol.

But my Kayak only holds 2? doh

1982 McKee 17 / 150 Evinrude

GF16 Bateau Home made \"little Kinky\"
15 Nissan

Timorjc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werewolf0711 wrote:
Timorjc wrote:

Tim

27 onslow about $150K

There's a used 2015 Freeman 34 on BT with 890hrs for $355k. I personally saw and rode on the one in Myrtle Beach at the boat show that was sticker priced at $499k, WITHOUT options, and it is pretty obvious whom I was speaking of that has one as there is only one that I am aware of in this area. Send him a PM and ask him what he has in it. He will tell you. I've known him 30 years.

I can show you a brand new 27OB that was delivered mid May. It was $212k. The owner will tell you that. I've known him 30 years too. Or just call Brad Knight at the factory and ask him. I will give you his cell number if you want it.

The prices I stated are accurate as of this summer on brand new 2018-2019 hulls that are pretty much optioned out with top power.

None of this matters to the OP who is inquiring about boats FAR below this price range.

Tim

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timorjc wrote:
werewolf0711 wrote:
Timorjc wrote:

Tim

27 onslow about $150K

There's a used 2015 Freeman 34 on BT with 890hrs for $355k. I personally saw and rode on the one in Myrtle Beach at the boat show that was sticker priced at $499k, WITHOUT options, and it is pretty obvious whom I was speaking of that has one as there is only one that I am aware of in this area. Send him a PM and ask him what he has in it. He will tell you. I've known him 30 years.

I can show you a brand new 27OB that was delivered mid May. It was $212k. The owner will tell you that. I've known him 30 years too. Or just call Brad Knight at the factory and ask him. I will give you his cell number if you want it.

The prices I stated are accurate as of this summer on brand new 2018-2019 hulls that are pretty much optioned out with top power.

None of this matters to the OP who is inquiring about boats FAR below this price range.

Tim

My sources tell me otherwise so we will leave it at that. And as far as a used Freeman goes, most are listed above new value bc there is no wait on it. They come in a higher demand than most any other cc on the market today.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

Chris Phillips
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice nobody mentioned Seafox. I have had mine for over 4 years and it is a really solid boat that rides well.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!

RODEOV
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait! My 24 Regulator isn't too bad. LMAO

Good luck with the boat, sir. May it serve you well and provide years of fun and bloody decks

2006 Regulator 24FS

SeaView Fishing Services

Stormwater BMP Services

SeaView Fishing Services

Onslow Bay Boatworks

Stormwater BMP Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: