Wind Gust: 17 knots
AT Ps: 30.17 in (1021.6 mb)
Air Temp: 69°F (20.3°C)
Dew Point: 57°F (14.1°C)
Water Temp: 72°F (22.4°C)

Big CUTS to black sea bass again..... - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Big CUTS to black sea bass again.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Big CUTS to black sea bass again..... Reply with quote

From the Council for Sustainable Fishing

The SAFMC will consider changing the Annual Catch Limits for vermilion snapper and black sea bass based on recent stock assessments. Click here for the amendment: https://goo.gl/QvsxZs

For this there is both good and bad news.

The good news is that the proposed total vermilion snapper ACL for 2019 would be 24 percent higher than the current ACL.

The bad news is that the proposed total black sea bass ACL for 2019 would be 57 percent lower -- nearly 1 million lbs. -- than the current ACL, even though black sea bass are not overfished or experiencing overfishing.

Because only 36 percent of the total black sea bass ACL was landed in 2017, the reduction at least for 2019 may not be impactful, but after that it could have significant impacts.

Thatís because the total black sea bass ACL would actually decrease even further in 2020 and 2021, with the 2021 ACL 63 percent lower than the current ACL.

For 2020 and 2021, based on current landings, the commercial ACL would be met in November and the fishery would close and the recreational fishery would come perilously close to closing, with about 90 percent of the ACLs projected to be landed.

If thatís not enough, the black sea bass stock assessment and proposed ACLs are based on current Marine Recreational Information Program (MRIP) landings estimates, which are going to change this fall, up or down, for many species based on a recalibration caused by a change in MRIP survey methods. The SAFMC is scheduled to incorporate these revised MRIP numbers for black sea bass, vermilion snapper, blueline tilefish and red grouper at its meeting in December.

Click here to read SAFMC Executive Director Gregg Waughís column about the MRIP recalibration - starts on page four:
http://safmc.net/download/Summer2018Update.pdf

These new MRIP estimates could have very significant impacts on the black sea bass and other fisheries.

As you know, the black sea bass fishery is extremely important commercially and recreationally. The fishery is too important to rush in extreme ACL reductions.

Please click here today and ask the SAFMC to delay setting any new black sea bass ACLs until after the stock assessment gets additional scrutiny and the new MRIP estimates are known:
https://safmc.wufoo.com/forms/zivyybt10rrkzi/

The agenda item to click is "SG Abbreviated Framework 2." Please submit your comments no later than October 3rd.

Thank you in advance for your efforts!

Tom Swatzel
Executive Director
Council for Sustainable Fishing
www.Sustainablefishing.org

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

WildCard
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Love it, Reply with quote

"Even though black sea bass are not overfished or experiencing overfishing". Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like you can't win for losing out there. I could be reading this totally wrong, but ?  
Chaos
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the part you may have missed is where commercial and recreational people are not seeing large groups of big fish. 20 years ago we had large groups of big fish they were 12 inches. since the size limit has been increased to 13 inches they are now small fish (12 inches) and there are more than you can stand to catch. Back then the size limit was 10. so now you have to have 15 inch fish for them to be big and you are not going to find large groups of them in 50" of water where they are fishing for them during the summer. Come January i can catch all the 20" sea bass I want in 50'. You can't even catch sheephead at the nearshore reefs because of the sea bass. I personally think they are over populated.  
ChrisMcCaffity
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The increase in size limits and elimination of most bass trap tags along with a 350 pound trip limit for commercial hook and line through the winter has led to lower landings. Please submit public comments before the December SAFMC meeting if you don't want to see these unnecessary cuts. Silence passively supports them.  
cloflinnc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my perspective is off, but what happened to someone being responsible to conduct their job without the public having to step into comment on their abuse of power at a time when the majority of those concerned with the topic are focused on other things than fishing. November and December seem like the easiest times to slide a comment period through on offshore or nearshore fishing when deer season, duck season, the holidays, and a ton of other things are holding the majority of the target audiences attention. Why can't science minded, data driven people come up with unbiased regulation changes that support the resource. The one thing I'll concede is the year cycle drives the comment period, but I'm openly skeptical of the government having a chance to do the right thing.

All previous is my whining or frustration but leads to my real question. Is it possible for our country to get back to solid, common sense decisions without the public constantly having to protect our right to do what is supposed to be benefits of being free? I'm extremely tired of division, so if this leads to arguments, then just forget that I asked.

ChrisMcCaffity
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloflinnc, I completely understand your frustration. This would be a drastic cut to the bass quota based on lower landings due to the council's previous actions that were intended to reduce landings. Typical government.

There will always be those in power who want to control others and restrict our freedom. Preserving liberty requires constant vigilance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: