Wind Gust: 8 knots
AT Ps: 30.16 in (1021.4 mb)
Air Temp: 72°F (22.2°C)
Dew Point: 56°F (13.2°C)
Water Temp: 72°F (22.4°C)

In the market for a new skiff trailer - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

In the market for a new skiff trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard
Wes
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: In the market for a new skiff trailer Reply with quote

I'm ready for a new trailer for the skiff. The one I'm replacing is a 1990 Load Rite galvanized. Like most 28 year old trailers, the frame is in good shape but everything else needs to be replaced.
Over the years I've had aluminum and galvanized trailers and I'm leaning towards galvanized. I also want torsion axles. could any suggest brand and / or options? Thanks

Lunchmoney
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought one for our skiff a few years ago from EZ loader in Concord. Been very pleased.  
fishing-misfit
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: In the market for a new skiff trailer Reply with quote

Wes wrote:
I'm ready for a new trailer for the skiff. The one I'm replacing is a 1990 Load Rite galvanized. Like most 28 year old trailers, the frame is in good shape but everything else needs to be replaced.
Over the years I've had aluminum and galvanized trailers and I'm leaning towards galvanized. I also want torsion axles. could any suggest brand and / or options? Thanks

I purchased a trailer for 21' skiff a year ago, very nice trailer. Road King alum I-beam with welded alum bunk brackets, torsion axles and Vortex hubs. Pulls like a dream. I soak it down with salt-away then power wash after every use, it's as nice today as the day I purchased. I had Marine Warehouse in Wilmington order it for me, had it in less than two weeks. Bad part with any trailer now is cost due to increased metal cost. I just purchased a new boat, the dealer said trailer prices have increased approx. 12%. My new boat trailer is a Venture, have not used it enough to comment other than it looks to be a well built trailer.

Wes
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input

sprayman58
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Venture alum trailer with torsion axles and accu-lube hubs. I think the accu-lube hubs are as important as anything else on the trailer.
My chassis are not connected across the very end of the trailer frame. When trailering the guide poles vibrate and wiggle so much they have split the I beam all the way to the cross member about 24" from the end of the trailer. I tied the frames together with a piece of alum angle at the very end by bolting to the frame. That has all but cut out the wiggle on the guide post. Wish I had done that sooner, so pay attention if your post move excessively whatever you buy.

Reel Living

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: