AT Ps: 30.00 in (1015.8 mb)
Ps Tendency: -0.01 in (-0.3 mb)
Air Temp: 71°F (21.5°C)
Dew Point: 68°F (19.9°C)
Water Temp: 69°F (20.7°C)

Matanzas Inlet St Augustine Info - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Matanzas Inlet St Augustine Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Parker
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Matanzas Inlet St Augustine Info Reply with quote

Guys/Gals does anyone have info on this inlet? Is it navigable? How far to the gulf stream. Any info appreciated. Looking at some property in the area. Thanks

SEAHORSE
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matanzas Inlet is basically not navigable. Been there recently and told you hug the north side of the inlet and look for a break in the sand bars. I wouldn’t buy property around there expecting to use this Inlet if you really want to call it an Inlet.
Wife and I recently looked at a few really nice communities on the ICW around there. Liked it a lot but no place to put my boat except for lifts and St Augustine closest Inlet to get out to the ocean.

Parker
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Seahorse. That's what I needed to hear. Going to look further south. Wish I could afford Islamorada!

coastwx
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were looking hard a few years back at the Flagler Beach area since I was born in Daytona and still have family in the area. My love of saltwater fishing blossomed from the fishing, flounder gigging and shrimping trips with my Grandfather in the area. Behind Matanzas Inlet was a great gigging spot he would take me as a kid. Love the quaintness of the small Summer Haven spot. Anyhow, from my trips there, like above, it never looked like an inlet you could count on.  
hblac
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parker,

A little further north there's Amelia Island with a very nice inlet at the north end of the island. It's the St. Mary's inlet where the submarine fleet goes in and out. Very nice inlet protected by jetties. But if you're looking for warm weather all the time you'd better go south. It's been kinda cold here the past few days. We're on the same line as the Florida panhandle.

Curmudgeon
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished the Fernandina inlet before chumming the shrimp boats became popular, and long before slow trolling came on. If fishing is still anything like those long ago times, it has to be OFS ...  
hblac
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty darn good but I'm still learning. Big ass Tarpon at the Jetties, along the beaches and in the Amelia River summer and especially fall. Excellent inshore fishing and top notch bottom fishing just 10 miles out. Only problem is it's pretty expensive to live on the island. We're getting ready to build on our lot in downtown Fernandina Beach but meanwhile rent is $2,500/month. Ouch!

marker39
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle owns a little spot in Flagler and I have been to matanzas quite a few times.

I wouldn't call it navigable, but in the right size boat on the right tide and conditions you can hop the bar.

However, there is a nice little creek a little south of that inlet where I have caught a lot of nice trout and drum. And that was just blind luck for someone who knows nothing about how to fish the area.

Just go's to show what a healthy fishery can produce for even the less knowledgeable visitors.

Bobby

Captdug
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Ormond beach and fished all around that area. I have never went out through Matanzas but fished off shore of it leaving Ponce inlet and running north. Excellent fishing . I did however fish inshore of the inlet numerous times, lots of bars and great structure. I have even caught many Snook just south and in sight of the Bridge!! Not many know they are up that far but there is some nice deep holes. Not sure of how the freezes have effected them, probably not very well,but good fishing all around Matanzas. The gulf stream is pretty far off shore usually runs anywhere from 40-50 miles. but you can hit the 110' ledge in 20.  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: