AT Ps: 30.00 in (1015.8 mb)
Ps Tendency: -0.01 in (-0.3 mb)
Air Temp: 71°F (21.5°C)
Dew Point: 68°F (19.9°C)
Water Temp: 69°F (20.7°C)

Garmin B175H Transducer issues - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Garmin B175H Transducer issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard
LeauIQ
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Garmin B175H Transducer issues Reply with quote

I had a Garmin B175H 20 degree thru-hull transducer installed about a year ago, connected to a Garmin 840xs.  Worked great initially, but a few months ago it started giving me issues while underway.  At times I lose my depth where it just blinks on me, even at slower speeds.  When I'm cruising, my bottom breaks up where I get gaps in my readings.  Doesn't matter what frequency I'm using, it gives me the same display issues.  When I come off plane, it gives me a good solid reading again.  Installed on 2004 Triton 2486CC.
​​​​​​​

BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try increasing your gain slightly. Do you keep your boat in the water? If so you may have some growth that is causing air bubbles or some disturbance ahead of the ducer. If it worked fine last year what if anything has changed?

USN Submarine Veteran
Defender of the Deep
Knight of Neptune
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets
Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans
Cape Fear Anglers

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be your issue but I have read a lot recently about Airmar temp sensors going bad on these thru hulls and when they do they make the transducer useless unless you have a bare wire box and disconnect the temp portion. Seems the temp sensor is what signals the unit to read what transducer is installed or something.

Your issue sounds like what most do. Once at certain speeds you loose bottom Bc of turbulence. Once off plane as things settle you get it back.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

LeauIQ
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryTurano wrote:
Try increasing your gain slightly. Do you keep your boat in the water? If so you may have some growth that is causing air bubbles or some disturbance ahead of the ducer. If it worked fine last year what if anything has changed?

I was keeping it in the water for about 6 months. That was my initial thought too. I tried cleaning it with a soft brush. Not sure what else I can use to clean it without damaging it.

LeauIQ
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

werewolf0711 wrote:
It may not be your issue but I have read a lot recently about Airmar temp sensors going bad on these thru hulls and when they do they make the transducer useless unless you have a bare wire box and disconnect the temp portion. Seems the temp sensor is what signals the unit to read what transducer is installed or something.

Your issue sounds like what most do. Once at certain speeds you loose bottom Bc of turbulence. Once off plane as things settle you get it back.

Would the temperature still work if this were the case? My temp reading seems very accurate and consistent.

CW66
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar issue with my Airmar B175H for Simrad.
I loose the Temp than it comes back.
Sonar works fine when not on plane.
\"I play with Electricity!\"

Last edited by CW66 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeauIQ wrote:
werewolf0711 wrote:

Would the temperature still work if this were the case? My temp reading seems very accurate and consistent.

It's hard to say for sure. These things are raved about yet the more I read into them I find there are so many people that don't get much life about of them. And that sucks considering it's price and the fact that it's essential to keep water from getting in the boat and on most boats they aren't easy to get to.

I would think in your case if it's working at low speeds find the exact speed you start to loose it and also where it goes completely. More than likely I think yours will be turbulence. Is there anything anywhere close or in front of where the transducer is?

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

lwr37
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. If it worked in the beginning and you haven't installed any new devices I don't see how it can be turbulence.
2. Don't turn the gain up because that makes it more sensitive. You'd want to tun the gain down. Turning the gain down on any sonar will give you a better bottom lock but less info in the water column.
3. I have the same transducer with no issues as of yet.
4. I was on a buddies boat Friday and noticed his unit doing the exact same thing. He has a B175HW and it never done that before. I tried adjusting the gain with no success.
5. When was the last time you updated the firmware on the unit? I see issues caused all the time by the lack of not keeping the FW up to date. These newer systems are not like the older unit were you could run them forever with no FW updates. FW needs to be updated regularly.
6. If you do not have the latest FW please Update ASAP then test.
7. Werewolf is refering to XID. Its a chip in the transducer that tells the sonar module its identity. Back in the old days you had to go in the settings and add the transducer type. With XID it does that automatically. When the B175 first came out there were some XID issues but they were resolved with FW updates.
8. AIRMAR techs are good and I suspect they have seen this issue before. Before you call make sure the FW is updated and the issue is still happening.
larryrowland@cecable.com
704-488-6607

Curmudgeon
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pic indicates a mounting problem to me. Seems it may be losing bottom as the boat rocks.If it has good performance at slow speed, but not higher,ncheck for a bracket shift ...  

Stormwater BMP Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> The Boat Yard All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: