Wind Gust: 14 knots
AT Ps: 30.00 in (1016.0 mb)
Air Temp: 70°F (21.3°C)
Dew Point: 68°F (19.9°C)
Water Temp: 69°F (20.7°C)

Best card for chartplotter - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Best card for chartplotter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Saltypleasure
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Best card for chartplotter Reply with quote

Looking to upgrade my lowrance and am currently running a navionics card. No issues with it but was wondering if the c-map or another brand was better or if I should just stick with navionics. Thanks in advance  
Capt.Barbosa
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which navionics card do you have? I have the platinum plus and it has the best most accurate depth contours i've seen on a map. I actually use the map contours to find spots within 30 miles of the beach (over 30 miles is more inaccurate), it is surprisingly accurate. I've found some good bottom just from the navionics contours. CMOR is gonna be awesome, but it is really expensive now and limited data in our area.  
Saltypleasure
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the input! I have the regions card for our area. Is there a difference in the Platinum plus detail over the regions? I thought when I purchased, the detail was about the same. The only difference was the map area. Am I wrong? North and South of the big rock area out of Beaufort had great contours but from Beaufort inlet out to the big rock is crap. It's like a chunk is missing. Maybe a bad card? I seen the cmor cards. They are going to be sick! However $700 for a tiny sliver of info right now is pointless.  
ScottK
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read up on this thread: https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/821830-cmor-mapping-wow-7.html

SlackTide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltypleasure wrote:
I appreciate the input! I have the regions card for our area. Is there a difference in the Platinum plus detail over the regions? I thought when I purchased, the detail was about the same. The only difference was the map area. Am I wrong? North and South of the big rock area out of Beaufort had great contours but from Beaufort inlet out to the big rock is crap. It's like a chunk is missing. Maybe a bad card? I seen the cmor cards. They are going to be sick! However $700 for a tiny sliver of info right now is pointless.

The difference between the Platinum+ and the Regions card you have is the Platinum card comes with a satellite overlay and is a smaller area per card. The regions has several states, while the Platinum+ will be a much smaller area, which is cool if you don't move around a lot. Other than the area and the satellite overlay, which is helpful sometimes, the detail and contours will be the same.

I saw the CMOR charts this weekend at a West Marine and they look great. There is some question as to how detailed they are right now. One guy I know who dives a lot said his favorite spot did not show up on CMOR even though that area was mapped. It's early though for them and there are going to be areas to fill in on any chart.

Saltypleasure
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:

The difference between the Platinum+ and the Regions card you have is the Platinum card comes with a satellite overlay and is a smaller area per card. The regions has several states, while the Platinum+ will be a much smaller area, which is cool if you don't move around a lot. Other than the area and the satellite overlay, which is helpful sometimes, the detail and contours will be the same.

I saw the CMOR charts this weekend at a West Marine and they look great. There is some question as to how detailed they are right now. One guy I know who dives a lot said his favorite spot did not show up on CMOR even though that area was mapped. It's early though for them and there are going to be areas to fill in on any chart.

Thanks slack

Maybe I just need to get a new card from navionics. Mine must be a lemon. I have tried updating it and it shows to be updated but I still have a missing area of detail where I shouldn't. And odly enough, that area that is missing is the one and only reason I got the card to begin with. I'm a firm believer in second chances so I'll get another card and hopefully it won't be wacked either.

Capt.Barbosa
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:

The navionics platinum plus contours and details are 10 times better than the base region navionics maps. I have both on my machine, and there is no comparison. The satellite overlay is useless. The details and contours of the PP are second to none, and very accurate.

Saltypleasure
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Barbosa wrote:
SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:

The navionics platinum plus contours and details are 10 times better than the base region navionics maps. I have both on my machine, and there is no comparison. The satellite overlay is useless. The details and contours of the PP are second to none, and very accurate.

I'm not sure I understand. The navionics website says both utilize the same sonar chart with 1' contours. The only difference that I can see is that the Platinum plus also comes with 3D contours and satellite overlay. Other than those, the detail of contours should be the same??

Capt.Barbosa
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry maybe I am wrong, but the base navionics map on my simrad unit has very little detail or contours compared to the PP chart i installed. Hope this helps, sorry for the confusion.  
SEAHORSE
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to share something Iíve noticed with c-map navionucs and garmin.
Depending on the mileage setting you choose you will get an amazing difference in displayed information. Iíve got dual Garmin plotters on my bridge and when Iím running Iíll keep each on a different mileage setting to get the rest info I can on water depth ledges and navigation buoys. Try it if your not aware already.

fishing-misfit
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAHORSE wrote:
Depending on the mileage setting you choose you will get an amazing difference in displayed information. Iíve got dual Garmin plotters on my bridge and when Iím running Iíll keep each on a different mileage setting to get the rest info I can on water depth ledges and navigation buoys. Try it if your not aware already.

Thanks for that info, I need to try this. Just purchased a new boat and the only negative I have found is the factory installed Garmin 1242 touch. It may be a great unit but I have purchased the Bluechart G2 map card and it still does not seem to be near as much detail as the Simrad NSS EVO2 on the boat I just sold. I am going to give it a try through Spring then add a 2nd 12" Garmin if I get use to it. Really don't want to spend $8k+ on Simrad on a new boat with a 12" Garmin and thru hull transducer already installed

Saltypleasure
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAHORSE wrote:

I noticed this. To get the full details, I need to be on like 0.3 miles. My problem is that say , north of the big rock, it shows the drop very well and detailed as well as everything else toward shore. From say, the swansboro hole south and all the way in and, it is great in detail. But from the cape lookout shoals out to the big rock, and including the big rock, it's pure s*&t. The detail is no different than what would come preloaded

Saltypleasure
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAHORSE wrote:

I noticed this. To get the full details, I need to be on like 0.3 miles. My problem is that say , north of the big rock, it shows the drop very well and detailed as well as everything else toward shore. From say, the swansboro hole south and all the way in and, it is great in detail. But from the cape lookout shoals out to the big rock, and including the big rock, it's pure s*&t. The detail is no different than what would come preloaded

SlackTide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltypleasure wrote:
Capt.Barbosa wrote:
SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. The navionics website says both utilize the same sonar chart with 1' contours. The only difference that I can see is that the Platinum plus also comes with 3D contours and satellite overlay. Other than those, the detail of contours should be the same??

The one-foot contours on the Platinum Plus and the Navionics Plus are the exact same contours. The only difference in those chips (besides coverage area) is that the Platinum Plus comes with a satellite overlay and 3D imaging.

Saltypleasure
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks slack! I can't remember off the top of my head and my boat is at the marina in Beaufort which is 4 hours away. I'll hold off on buying a new card until I get back down there and check it out. I'll take pics of every screen I get and document each step so I can let you know. Hopefully you can help and save me a couple hundred! Thanks again and I'll keep in touch!

Tried to pm you but I just get an invalid session

SlackTide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltypleasure wrote:
Thanks slack! I can't remember off the top of my head and my boat is at the marina in Beaufort which is 4 hours away. I'll hold off on buying a new card until I get back down there and check it out. I'll take pics of every screen I get and document each step so I can let you know. Hopefully you can help and save me a couple hundred! Thanks again and I'll keep in touch!

Tried to pm you but I just get an invalid session

Cool! Just let me know what you've got and we'll get you figured out.

Good luck!

Carlmon
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:
Capt.Barbosa wrote:
SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:

The one-foot contours on the Platinum Plus and the Navionics Plus are the exact same contours. The only difference in those chips (besides coverage area) is that the Platinum Plus comes with a satellite overlay and 3D imaging.

Good info on the comparison between them. The Navionics Plus seems will perform just fine.

Onslow Bay Boatworks

Insure with the Best in the Business

Free Towing - Free Soft Ungroundings

SeaView Fishing Services

Stormwater BMP Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: