AT Ps: 30.06 in (1018.0 mb)
Ps Tendency: -0.01 in (-0.3 mb)
Air Temp: 60°F (15.3°C)
Dew Point: 47°F (8.1°C)

Sea hunt buyers beware - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Sea hunt buyers beware
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Sea hunt buyers beware Reply with quote

Iíve owned 3 brand new sea hunts in the last 4 1/2 years and with that being said I would not recommend anyone buy one especially not in Wilmington,the first sea hunt was awesome we traded bigger that boat was cracking and other mostly electrical problems that took a act of congress and contacting the sea hunt rep to get fixed and as soon as things were fixed dummy me traded it in on a bigger sea hunt a gf25 1st year things were great then pumps stayed going bad radio bad replaced all 6 speakers the list is long we didnít even bother them with the small things, had to get sea tow because we were stuck because gas gauge was broke and was dead smack in middle of cape fear riveri and couldnít use vhf itís broke ,water drips out of ttop at speakers which has caused spreader light in back to fall apart! There solution is to drill holes in ttop we payed a small fortune to us for this boat so itís very disappointing and two make it worse dealer dropped bill 200 bucks and thatís not including vhf or spreader lights ! Iíve got 3 friends that love there sea hunts maybe thereís are older so long story short do your research talk to people that own newer ones and I definitely wouldnít buy one in Wilmington there not good at standing behind there product and there factory rep is even worse! Everyone has opinions on certain boats Iím just sharing my experience which is awful! Btw itís going up for sale Iíll make you a hell of a deal lol  
RKForte
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I am sorry to hear that. I bought my GF25 in Nov 2013 as a 2014 model and it has been pretty good. Although I have had a few things that needed repairing after a few years of use. The radio paint is chipping off, One speaker doesn't work (wiring), one of my T-top mounting screws backed out, misters don't work and the paint on one of my spreader lights started flacking off. Most of this was fixed easily by myself and some of it I expected. However, I still love my boat and hope to keep it for a long time.
https://www.facebook.com/Fish-On-Forte-1664722677109936/

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím one of those friends that owns one and enjoys it. Yes the older ones didnít have quite as many issues as some of the newer ones but as you increase production of anything you increase the chances of issues arising.

To break your post down just a touch for others:

The cracks are pretty much from purchasing a mid tier production boat. Now just about every fiberglass/gel coat boat is subject to this. Typically not something seen as often in higher tier boat brands but the nature of the gel coat it can happen. Most places are in corners or somewhere thereís a radius.

Every other issue you mention seems to be a dealer problem and not sea hunt problem.

If your talking about bilge pumps running constantly thatís a rule problem and most all with automatic shutoff switches built in. Rules are notorious for these problems.

The infinity radio was and is know. To be junk. Hence why now they come with JL MM50. The speakers were a huge complaint. JBL is junk point blank, again hence why they have now went to JL audio speakers.

VHF was dealer installed. Thatís a dealer problem

Water leaking out of the ttop means something installed is leaking. This is more than likely from the dealer installed vhf antenna but could be anything up there from outrigger mounts to radar or anything that was put up there. Or if you run your misters regularly there could be a broken hose.

I think that about covers it 😁

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the rigging, which is often done by the dealers not the factory

Part of buying a mid-tier boat from a dealer instead of a direct from a manufacturer semi-custom is unfortunately that accessories/electrical/etc tends to be cheaper and sub par. On my boat I've ended up replacing pretty much everything electrical myself including but not limited to VHF, stereo, speakers, lights.

IMO if buying something like that one is better off buying the boat and motor only, and getting all the electrical done by someone else (or yourself, if up to it)

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavescrash wrote:
That sounds like the rigging, which is often done by the dealers not the factory

Part of buying a mid-tier boat from a dealer instead of a direct from a manufacturer semi-custom is unfortunately that accessories/electrical/etc tends to be cheaper and sub par. On my boat I've ended up replacing pretty much everything electrical myself including but not limited to VHF, stereo, speakers, lights.

IMO if buying something like that one is better off buying the boat and motor only, and getting all the electrical done by someone else (or yourself, if up to it)

That can honestly go for almost every builder out there. Only 2 that really come to mind would be onslow and freeman. Yellowfin, contender etc all still have their electrical problems at times. Just a smaller scale due to less volume. Iíd rather do what you mention to any boat that comes through a dealer.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the two I know responded and love there boats ! Donít get me wrong I love the boat the layout is 2nd to none imo but let me list problems to clarify things
Bilge pump (warranty) I replaced
Horn doesnít work (not fixed)
Mister pump bad( not fixed)
Radio(warranty) I replaced
6 speakers(warranty) I replaced
Water in ttop runs out speakers( they drilled holes in ttop,sorry thatís crappy design and fix)
Spreader lights in back corroded and missing covers( they refuse to fix keep in mind they know they have a water issue)
VHF doesnít transmit ( they said they fixed) captain buddy check radio still broke and there not gonna fix
Steering wheel wouldnít lock in ( have to pay not warranty)
Throttles werenít synched (have to pay not warranty)
Fuel sending unit bad ( have to pay not warranty)
Some line clogged (have to pay not warranty)
Both motor covers seized up (work not done by seat dealer in Wilmington had to pay) found out later motors are warranted thru 2019 should have been warranty my fault
Throttle assembly broke (warranty had to pay labor)
Fresh water pump bad(not fixed)
Folks this boat will be 3 years old this may 2016 model bought new,doesnít matter to me if itís a sea hunt problem or a different manufacturer problem itís completely unacceptable and sea hunt or Wilmington dealer refuse to help !!!! If this is normal for any boat production boat or custom boat then we are all idiots!!! I dare someone to justify any of this I know saltwater is rough on these boats but this is just not right

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll break them down for you. It's your choice if you want to blame sea hunt. They are merely responsible for the hull and fiberglass work but that's about it in my book. Everything else they have to purchase and install as they don't manufacture those items.

Bilge pump is a Rule, Rule is known to go bad a lot. Even the bait well pumps. Huge issue. typically Rule will send replacements to the individual if they request from them and are in warranty period. Dealer can do this as well but a lot of times more hassle.

Horn, well that can be a number of things but if it's getting current to the horn but the horn isn't working then that's another manufacturer item that has to be dealt with.

Mister, freshwater, raw water pumps are prone to failure rates. High, very high failure rates. In short for most people they absolutely suck. Manufacturer's warranties typically suck too so consumers are at their mercy on replacement's.

Radio I discussed above. The inifinity that you probably have sucks and has now been changed. You could get replacements within the warranty period but other than that you are on your own.

Speakers as mentioned above again, Most speakers suck unless you get a reputable brand. Again Sea Hunt addressed that issue and now has gone to JL.

The water in ttop I discussed above. I can't help what the dealer does and unless you have been in direct contact with sea hunt themselves then you can't put blame with them on this. It falls on your dealer. There are only so many ways water will get in the top.

The spreader lights are a known issue as well. Replacements on these are pretty much null and void and would be something you have to do on your own or pay someone to change.

VHF again was more than likely dealer installed. It's a dealer problem. Depending on age you may be out of warranty here and on your own.

The fuel related issues and such are yamaha and upkeep problems. I'd venture to say depending on where the boat is stored could play a small role in these issues, but they aren't related to sea hunt and not necessarily a dealer issue either. Warranty work on engines is tough as certain things are and are not covered.

Dealers will drop the ball on warranty items. I had my own issues with a dealer in regards to charging me money regarding stuff that should have been warrantied.

Most boat stuff is only warrantied for 1 year, some items longer but it's honestly best you verse yourself in those warranties or you do like you are now.

Yes your issues are completely normal for someone boating in the saltwater environment. Heck some are normal for boating in general. I'm not here to tell you your wrong in assessment but rather for you to see exactly where each problem lies. I don't see one issue that is a direct reflection of something that ties to sea hunt needing to step in and do anything. More of your dealer. But take it for what it's worth to you.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree that 90% of these issues are from the dealer. From what I can remember years back (about 18 years ago) Sea Hunt was a much better-built boat. But at that time they were beginning to get somewhat popular. Like anything else once major production starts shortcuts are taken and quality suffers. I have seen the rust stains around your cleats and I have also seen how many screws have backed away. Those two items I would attribute to the manufacturers quality standards. Everything else is attributable to the dealership. It really sucks because of how much money you spent with the dealership. They should be a little more considerate. Not much more that you can do except be honest if you are asked about the dealership. Don't go out of your way to burn them, just be truthful if you are asked.

USN Submarine Veteran
Defender of the Deep
Knight of Neptune
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets
Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans
Cape Fear Anglers

DOGKILLR
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one reason I don't want all the "bells and whistles" on a saltwater boat. Too much crap to break.
This time around I'm keeping it simple. My washdown will be a 5 gallon bucket or dip my boat brush over the side, my misters will be a wet rag, my top canvas,
my actual boat storage areas just for storing stuff for the day (s*&t gets moldy and rusty left in any boat), no on board charging system, etc. The more crap you put on a boat the more there is to fix.

Squid Row
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who installed those items that are not working? If it came from the factory that way, it would be the manufacturer's responsibility.

If the dealer added those items it would be theirs.

A 3 year old boat should not be having those issues but unless you know who installed those items, it is hard to say who is at fault.

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealer installed electronics, ttop factory,all good points and very well said Barry!!!  
wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werewolf0711 wrote:
wavescrash wrote:

That can honestly go for almost every builder out there. Only 2 that really come to mind would be onslow and freeman. Yellowfin, contender etc all still have their electrical problems at times. Just a smaller scale due to less volume. Iíd rather do what you mention to any boat that comes through a dealer.

Yeah, unfortunately volume goes up and quality goes down.

RKForte
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Big Blue. That is a lot of issues. I guess I really can't complain about my small issues since the boat will be 6 years old this year. I hope you can get everything rectified and enjoy your boat.
https://www.facebook.com/Fish-On-Forte-1664722677109936/

Fourfingers
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Sea hunt Reply with quote

Wow Sorry to hear about all those issues, I hade a sea hunt 6 years ago and must say I didn't like mine at all mostly the ride. I to had issues with getting things fixed.

I went to a Robalo and so far the service has been great, might take a little while to get a part in but they do get them to you or the dealer. as for electronics it should be covered if it was installed at the factory.

It also helps when you have a good dealer that actually cares about the customer! I have nothing but good things to say about Anglers Marine they have always made right and worked hard with the manufacturer to get me back up and running as fast as they can.

Robalo R302
Twin 300 yammies.

BluePirate
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: SH Reply with quote

Sorry that you are having issues. Nothing worse than losing patience and sleep on persistent boat issues.

But to offer another opinion, I am on my second SH, from the Wilmington dealer whom I have now been dealing with for over 8 years. I have never had any of the same complaints that you have. Yes, I have had radio issues, both VHF and music, both factory installed as well as dealer installed. Both factory and dealer worked very hard to sort it all out on both boats. In the end everything was fixed and still is. I continue to have nothing but the best customer experience there and we have a very good working relationship.

As for SH factory, I have always had superior customer service from them when I contact them. They have always gone the extra mile.

Now for sure we know that Infinity radios are the pits, and when mine breaks again I am off to JBL or better. Misters? Those things are useless and I only use mine for cleaning off my sunglasses. If you turn them on all you get are water spots on your electronics. Many times it is not the mister pump that craps out but rather the vent at the terminal end of the line that clogs. l think they should delete those going forward. Cleats and SS fittings will start to stain over time if you don't stay in front of it with wax and other SS treatments. Rust never sleeps. The T-top on my 234 leaked and the spreader lights filled with water. Not the case on my GF27. I fixed the issue on the 234 and resealed the VHF mount on the hard top. My 234 was hard on all pumps. But SH placed them where salt water was always draining on them. Much better design with the pump room, where at least when the pumps go bad, and they will, you can get to them easily.

As mentioned, SH is a mid tier production boat and that is reflected in the price point. Still, from my perspective, it is a lot of money no matter how you slice it. They are far from perfect as no boat truly is, although I would like to be able to afford a Bahamas 41 to test that statement.

I sincerely hope your SH experience improves soon.

CG

Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea hunt has stepped up to the plate and are gonna send me spreader lights,now if dealer would fix or replace vhf all will be good, I will say dealers service manager has always been great but he canít fix things for free without owners ok Iím assuming either way Iíve yet to get a call back from him so who knows  
BILLFISHIN
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get what you pay for. I had same issues with a SEA PRO. That's why Whaler, Parker, Grady White and a few more cost twice as much.
Just saying......

wavescrash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BILLFISHIN wrote:
You get what you pay for. I had same issues with a SEA PRO. That's why Whaler, Parker, Grady White and a few more cost twice as much.
Just saying......

Eh, I've seen the wiring on some of those and it ain't exactly pristine.

Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím learning real quick that the saying boat stands for ďbreak out another thousandĒis true lol but damn I love boating and fishing and I love the boat and itís layout  
STICK-SLINGER
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2008 26' and I love it. Like everyone has hit on.. when a person buys a boat, it pays to do the research on the dealership as well as the boat you are looking at. I bought this boat from Anglers Marine in 2007 and they are still taking great care of anything I need. I always recommend them to anyone who will listen. I love my boat and have @ 2k worry free hours on it. Good luck man! and I am with Will, most of this seems to be a dealer issue, not a boat issue..
910-640-7772

tireman
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with a sea pro and had good luck for what it was and a buddy liked mine and got one just like it a year later and had all kinds of problems

Herc55
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow sorry to hear that. My seahunt just started having some small electrical issues and ive had to replace a couple of bulbs. My raw water wash down kicked the bucket last summer and is a nightmare to get to to change out. I like to donthings myself. This is on my spring fix list. For now i use a 5 gallon bucket.

fishangel
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can blame the dealers, (and they usually deserve the blame) but don't forget that the manufactures are where "the buck stops". They get to pick their dealers. Good Post, bigblue!  
Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea hunt have to give them credit talked to Karen Monday and 2 spreader lights came yesterday!!! Owner of dealer jumped right on it and is going to get new cord or new vhf hopefully he does the right thing and waves the bill and fixes or replace vhf but thatís yet to be determined! Thereís way too many sea hunts out there for this to be a boat wide issue!  
Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea hunt stepped up but owner failed miserably I hope he rots in hell , wouldnít buy a screw from them ! Sorry for the choice of words but thatís all I can come up with !! If you donít like it keep scrolling!!!  
BarryTurano
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down sunshine. YOU are the OWNER. I think you mean the DEALER. If you are going to go on a rant make sure you have the "Rantees" correct. lmao

USN Submarine Veteran
Defender of the Deep
Knight of Neptune
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below
There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets
Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans
Cape Fear Anglers

Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Barry it was meant to say owner of boat dealership  
sprayman58
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2013, 27 GF with a few problems but nothing like yours. I do keep a sunbrella tarp ( custom made ) wrap around my console when on the lift. Takes less than 3 minutes to put on or off. That solves a lot of electrical issues over time. But here's the thing, if you do not enjoy working on a boat do not own one I don't care who made it.

I have one thing to say about the radio not transmitting, mine was the same way for a couple years. Checked the battery switch and it fell apart, both of them. Apparently the Mfg of the switch has had a lot of issues. The screws bottomed out and split the housing causing a weak electrical contact. Enough to operate but not preform great. They were in Washington state, I called and they 2nd day aired me 2 at no charge.

It's not a Yellowfin or Onslow Bay etc. but at 1/2 of the purchase price it's a lot of boat for the money and would buy another one.

Reel Living
27 game Fish

PirateJuan
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the service goes, it's pretty much expected when a manufacturer starts selling boats like hot cakes. A 23ft was $40k ten years ago. Now that fools can finance boats for 20 years, the same boat is $80k and everyone can afford (to make a million small payments on) one. The dealership probably still has the same 1 or 2 post-purchase reps that they had when they were doing a quarter of the sales volume.

Bigblue
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can tell you after buying 2 brand new sea hunts from the same dealer in Wilmington, I promise you I would never buy another boat from them or a sea hunt for that matter they both let a 300 dollar vhf radio stand in the way of that , I own a business I sometimes have to go against the grain and do stuff to keep customers happy now sea hunt didnít have a problem with the lights but when dealer failed I went to sea hunt just to see if I could get a deal on another vhf very quick no so in my opinion both will never see my money again , which isnít a big issue for sea hunt because of amount of boats they sale and dealer could careless heís never got his hands dirty a day in his life heís living off his daddyís dime  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: