Average Period: 5.9 sec
Mean Wave Dir: SSE (151°)
AT Ps: 29.94 in (1014.0 mb)
Air Temp: 64°F (17.9°C)
Dew Point: 49°F (9.2°C)

Garmin G3 Update - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

Garmin G3 Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
SlackTide
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Garmin G3 Update Reply with quote

I've noticed that quite a few people on here have Garmin units. I just saw that Garmin finally came out with their G3 update and it looks huge. The download is more than 1GB, so there has to be a ton of stuff on it. I knew they were adding some Navionics into their charts since they bought them a couple years ago, but I didn't know they were coming out with Relief Shading and some of the other stuff you can do on your plotter now. Been looking for screenshots of the Relief Shading, just so I can see what it looks like. So far, all I can come up with is this not-so-great picture. Still looking!!

Here's the link to the download I found, maybe some of you can use it: https://www8.garmin.com/support/software/marine.html

fishing-misfit
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check that out, just updated my cards a couple weeks ago

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For NC itís not all itís cracked up to be. I can get screen shots if your interested. Not much shading for our coast. At least not offshore.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

SlackTide
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werewolf0711 wrote:
For NC itís not all itís cracked up to be. I can get screen shots if your interested. Not much shading for our coast. At least not offshore.

Yeah. I just saw the map of the coverage area. It's a little spotty up the NC coast, but I understand it's getting better as they add more areas. Would be nice to see what they come up with up here though.

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlackTide wrote:
werewolf0711 wrote:

Yeah. I just saw the map of the coverage area. It's a little spotty up the NC coast, but I understand it's getting better as they add more areas. Would be nice to see what they come up with up here though.

For the areas I fish this is pretty much it!

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

SEAHORSE
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím ready to purchase the G3 chip and after speaking to Garmin it was reported that All Garmin units will not have the full capability to enjoy all of the available
Data it will depend on which units you have.
Conversation I had with the tech was related to coming up the ditch from Georgetown to CB . In certain places my Garmin plotter has me located up in the marsh if I was traveling just by plotter screen. He asked what date was on my existing SD and I pulled it out to look . Version 2014 and his response was you should buy update.
I travel extensively with my boat everyplace from Florida Keys ,Bahamas all the way to NY in summer. Getting ready to order updated SD card soon. My old boat with a Garmin plotter use to show me up on Masonborough Island when transiting CB Inlet by about fifty feet. Told Garmin and they said to take a screen shot at the location and they would correct it on the next update.

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAHORSE wrote:
Iím ready to purchase the G3 chip and after speaking to Garmin it was reported that All Garmin units will not have the full capability to enjoy all of the available
Data it will depend on which units you have.
Conversation I had with the tech was related to coming up the ditch from Georgetown to CB . In certain places my Garmin plotter has me located up in the marsh if I was traveling just by plotter screen. He asked what date was on my existing SD and I pulled it out to look . Version 2014 and his response was you should buy update.
I travel extensively with my boat everyplace from Florida Keys ,Bahamas all the way to NY in summer. Getting ready to order updated SD card soon. My old boat with a Garmin plotter use to show me up on Masonborough Island when transiting CB Inlet by about fifty feet. Told Garmin and they said to take a screen shot at the location and they would correct it on the next update.

from what I've seen the integrated Navionics or whatever they did in the G3 itself seems to have the land masses in much better representation than years prior. I think no matter what unit you have you would get the depth shading but I could be wrong on that. It might be something worth checking into for you.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: