SC Marine Protected Areas (MPA's) question - SaltwaterCentral.Com
Free Towing - Free Soft Ungroundings

DrC
Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:00 pm
I plotted the MPAs off SC coast (I fish out of Charleston) and the Charleston deep reef MPA does not look right when plotted. The Edisto Deep reef looks correct (10x5 nm rectangle) , but the Chs DR MPA doesn't look symettrical? It's supposed to be 3.5x6 nm. I plotted the corner of the boundaries located on the SAMFC website here http://www.safmc.net/MPAInformationPage/EdistoandCharlestonDeepReefMPAs/tabid/597/Default.aspx I want to do some deep dropping this year and want to be sure of the boundaries since I feel the coast guard and Marine fisheries will be likely out in force this year to make sure I don't have any extinct red snapper. Is there any explanation for the Charleston Deep Reef MPA's appearance? Just wondering. I guess I'm good as long as their coord. are correct. Thanks in advance. PS- One more question...can you swordfish in the MPA's? I know you can troll them, but no bottom fishing. How about drifting for swords?  

Capt_Dave
Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 pm
Dr C,

Welcome to the site!

I would think YES you can sword in the MPA. As long as bottom fishing gear is stored away AND there are NO bottom fish in the box.

I have not looked at the SC MPAs. I put a bunch of them on Supermap a whil;e back but I do not know if they are current.

You might also ask this on our SC site....
SouthCarolina-Offshore.Com

Dave

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters

DrC
Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:15 pm
Thanks Capt_Dave.  

Jump to: