bluewater super map gone? - SaltwaterCentral.Com

slobslayer
Tue May 14, 2019 8:06 pm
I see the site has gone to a new UI. However I can no longer see anywhere I can access Bluewater supermap. Is it gone? Unfortunately all the best weather tools have slowly faded from being free to pay.... cry  

Capt_Dave
Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 pm
Slob,

Yes sir you are correct. BWSM was around for 10 years and it was time for a rebuild. It is now called SEECast and is $150 a year.

Why the switch from free to paid?

In reality it is because everyone wants to post on Facebook instead of here.

Dave

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters

wavescrash
Thu May 16, 2019 2:32 am
Charging is certainly not going to change that.  

Capt.Barbosa
Thu May 16, 2019 3:32 pm
Wow, didn't realize there is a fee for supermap now. First reefcast now supermap, how disappointing.......facebook here I come. It has been a fun 13 years on this site, but this will be my last post. Dave will you please disable my account. FISH ON!!!!  

Capt_Dave
Thu May 16, 2019 5:57 pm
Capt.Barbosa wrote:
Wow, didn't realize there is a fee for supermap now. First reefcast now supermap, how disappointing.......facebook here I come. It has been a fun 13 years on this site, but this will be my last post. Dave will you please disable my account. FISH ON!!!!

Capt,
For years and years and years I have worked my butt off to supply ReefCast and Supermap for FREE. I did it with the help of paid advertising. The problem is that Facebook, Instagram and all the other stuff is killing FORUMS everywhere.....not just this one but almost all of them.

At the end of the day it has to be worth my TIME, ENERGY AND EFFORT to produce this site and keep it up. I have a mortgage to pay and kids to feed just like everyone else. When the time comes that it is NOT worth my TIME, ENERGY AND EFFORT then I just push a button to turn it all OFF.

I have no plans to turn it off....as a matter of fact now that I have the site running on current software I can go back to creating cool offshore fishing tools.

IS this version of the site a little rough around the edges? Yes it is....but it now operating on current software that I can build on. I can file down the rough edges and start creating new stuff again.

Now back to your post.....IF you want to keep dumping money to the left coast that is in turn going to give some of that money to the very folks that want to run YOU off the ocean. That's on YOU! Not me.

I can not fight Facebook and I am not going to even try. I am just going to find another way.

ReefCast is still one of the BEST offshore forecasting models in the world today bar none. I charge everyone .068 cents a day for access to it.

SEECast is cutting edge stuff that includes all the data from 5 AVHRR Satellites and 2 Modis Satellites and the Modeled Cloud free Daily data and along with a forecast for TOMORROW. I am not aware on anyone that forecasts SST changes into the future. I am.....and I am doing it in a format that is GEOGRAPHICALY ACCURATE using GIS. One of the very very few that gets this GEOGRAPHICALY ACCURATE part right AND I am charging folks .41 cents a day for that.

So lets do the math....
.41 cents a day for SEECast
.07 (I rounded up) for ReefCast
---------
.48 cents a day

If I am breaking your bank you let me know and we will work something out!

Dave

PS....Let me know when Mark Zuckerberg spends a dollar to help your fishing!

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters

tanktom
Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 pm
Capt Dave:

I get it! Just subscribed to SEECast and all I do is bottom fish. Can't believe all the whining going on about this service. Hell, I didn't even know FB was used for fishing huh Site looks great and proud to support your efforts. Also have been subscribed to reefcast for almost a year now, time for that to renew. Looking forward to the new stuff you will be able to come up with now with the new site! Keep on with the keeping on!

surffishn
Fri May 17, 2019 1:09 am
Reef cast is the biggest bargin on the internet. I need to learn how to use seecast .

CW66
Fri May 17, 2019 5:12 am
It amazes me how much money guys will piss away on fishing just in fuel alone, yet they'll bitch about $176/yr for both ReefCast and SeeCast that can save that in one trip.
It costs me about $400 for the average trip in fuel not counting Ice and Bait.

Dave I think it's a bargain, so I'm all in!
PLUS, Dave gives us his personal cell phone number for support......
Everybody wants free s*&t! Well I learned in school 35+ years ago "nothing in life is free" it costs somebody something. Man up people!
\"Fine Girl\"
2015 Sportsman Masters 207 Bay

\"I play with Electricity!\"

livinonce
Fri May 17, 2019 1:18 pm
CW66 I have similar costs to you when I fish offshore and agree that there is value in the information available from this site at less than the cost of a cup of coffee per day.

Now I like to save money as much as the next guy and will accept free information when I can get it, but Capt. Dave can't provide this forum and this information at no cost to himself. I don't mind doing a little to support the site.

LILRASCAL
Fri May 17, 2019 1:51 pm
Dave,

Thanks for doing everything you did for years at no cost! When I moved here 20 years ago from Colorado I knew virtually nothing about saltwater fishing. Your site and the great people that it attracted allowed me to flourish and I've learned an incredible amount from this site. You deserve to be able to make a living at something you have worked so hard on for so long and I know it's not your only job. There's a lot of people that owe you a lot as I've seen them develop over the years on this site the same way I did.

Great Job Man! Thanks again for everything you've done!

Chris

23mako
Fri May 17, 2019 2:22 pm
Thanks for everything you do Dave. I don't use the supermap ever but anytime I go offshore your fish here maps are a damn bargain.  

jpwarren
Fri May 17, 2019 8:45 pm
Hell yeah fellas. F#$K facespace for more reasons than this.

Capn Dave deserves to get paid for his work. Not everyone can write code and manage this much information. These whiners wouldn't go to their jobs for free right?

Carry On Capn!

Strider493
Sat May 18, 2019 12:38 am
It is really discouraging to me how many people expect stuff for free. Usually I can see both sides of a discussion. But with all the "I want it for free" babies out there I have come to realize that some folks see the world very differently than I do.  

tarheelkid
Mon May 20, 2019 9:17 pm
I think one thing that could be beneficial to the site to get more users onboard using supermap, would be to offer a free trial and monthly subscriptions at a slightly higher rate. Lots of people are turned off by paying $150 at once but would pay $20/mo for several months out of the year. Its also easier for the old lady to skip over that $20 charge instead of the $150 one when she's looking at the credit card bill...  

Jump to: