2012 seahunt water in gas tank - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Herc55
Sat May 18, 2019 7:45 pm
2 seasons and 2 time breaking down offshore to water in gas tank. Both times gas tank was pumped out completely, injectors were serviced and all filter changed out. Last week running i had water alarm come on and motor started acting funny again. I checked fuel filter and fuel water sepaerator and there was a decent amount of water in the racor. Drained it all out and it ran good again. Back to the rap water alarm came on again. It seems like a lot of water is getting in somehow. I cant figure it out. I use ethanol free although i dont always fill it to the top when storing. Boat is ran at least 3/4 tank every 2 weeks. So here is a question. When i fill tank up to top. Should fumes and gas eventually come out of the vent on the side of the hull? Mine does not. Maybe i have a bad vent or something. Im in New Bern any recommendations of someone who could figure this out for me if we cant on here?

AboutTime2Fish
Sat May 18, 2019 8:29 pm
Iím guessing you need a new o-ring on your gas cap to keep water out. Should be an access plate near the fuel vent and on top of gas tank. Hereís a link to get started.

https://www.boatingmag.com/five-boat-fuel-vent-tips

Coastal Pursuit
Sun May 19, 2019 1:53 pm
I had a 2003 172 and got water every time it would rain. It had a polly gas tank and was severely warped on the top and would not seal. I had to replace the gas tank and deck plate.

zigzag
Mon May 20, 2019 1:39 am
I second the water is probably coming in the vent  

sprayman58
Mon May 20, 2019 5:13 pm
I have a 27 Sea Hunt and my vent hose will fill with water. Looks like it would suck right on in the the tank if left un-checked. I take my hose off from time to time and blow out the water. The gas cap is sealed and when loosened it has a lot of vaccum there. I would check the line from the vent to the fuel filler neck and see if it is full of water.

Reel Living

zigzag
Tue May 21, 2019 1:30 am
where is the vent, under the cap or a scoop  

Titan
Tue May 21, 2019 2:31 am
My water in Fuel alarm has come on again. I am getting water in my fuel as well. Mine seems to be coming in through the vent on the side of the boat. Every time I fill up the air from the tank will push water out that vent. I can see this being a serious problem in the future. The other day the vent/hose was so full of water that I had to put a hose down the vent and suck out the water before I could even fuel the boat due to not having adequate ventilation. I am going to look into putting some type of water deflection scoop over the side vent to help prevent water from coming in.  

Jump to: