Harkers Island / Cape Lookout / Beaufort - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Squid Row
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm
I used to live on Emerald Isle and have been to Morehead City more times than I can count but have never been to Harkers Island by boat or Cape Lookout.

Headed to that area this week and wonder how hard is it to get to the Harkers Island from Beaufort or the Cape without running the ocean?

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

buzz4prez
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm
Rich, nothing to it. gimme a call when you get ready  

paynefish
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:27 pm
If you don't know where you are going you can get into big trouble in that area. especially around Barden's Inlet and back towards Harkers Island. I had heard that the Coast Guard had pulled the channel markers, but have not been through there in a few years. Maybe they remarked that area, I do not know. I do know it was a tricky area even when it was marked. Be careful in that area Squid

The Happy Place

plasticpeddler
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:40 pm
What paynefish said as of last October...  

PurpleGold
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:14 pm
There are home made red/green markers on the route to the cape now. Was there last week. On a sunny day you can see the shallow water pretty easily.  

Squid Row
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:27 pm
Thanks all. Going to give it a shot on Saturday. Will try the ocean side first and maybe fish for Spanish for a while if it is not too bad.
Will have someone with me that has never been fishing and never been on the ocean except on a cruise ship

Rustyone
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 pm
Rich,
I wouldn’t attempt the run between Bardens and Harkers in the new Grady except on a flood tide and then with much caution. The Skiff would be fine. No issue getting from Beaufort to most of HI. The east end got pretty messed up by the storm.

Lunchmoney
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 am
It"s really not a big deal and well marked between Barden and the S turn. In their infinite wisdom, the CG pulled the buoys right around the S but some good locals have it marked fairly well with some homemade markers. Coming from Barden, just follow the buoys until you get to the S and then slow down and pay attention to the homemade ones. Once you get past the S turn, keep to the left side of the shoal markers until you get over towards Harkers. On a Saturday, there will be plenty of boat traffic to follow including the CALO ferrys. I've run it several times this year, as recently as 6 weeks ago and had zero problems getting thru there.
Just don't try to launch from the public ramp on HI!

MealOnReels
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:44 am
Is the public ramp on Harkers too shallow Lunchmoney ?  

AboutTime2Fish
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:45 pm
MealOnReels wrote:
Is the public ramp on Harkers too shallow Lunchmoney ?

Heard it was shoaled up between ramp and channel

DOGKILLR
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:01 pm
It shoaled up pretty good around the area where the bridge rises up from the ramp side. Looks like it is almost all the way across the marked channel when you look at it from the bridge.

dontcatch
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 am
Rich,

Using Harkers Island Wildlife ramp can get you grounded. I made it through earlier this week at low tide and bumped bottom going in and out. I was using my Mckee Craft (the Sheephead boat). Have not had my Carolina Skiff through there (electrical problems and in the shop), but Rachel's son has taken his new C. Skiff from the ramp and the back way to Barden Inlet and he has/had virtually no knowledge of boating or the area.

I guess you will be coming up via the Waterway. If so, then go out via Beaufort Inlet to get to Cape Lookout.

Have not paid much attention to the weather for this weekend, but I believe it is going to be a tad rough. Southwest wind tends to build up the water on this south facing beach. .

Going the "backway" from Morehead City, behind Shackleford Island can be tricky if you are not accustomed to the route. The "S" curve from the east end of Harkers to Barden Inlet shoaled up a while back and there are now local planted markers through there, then it is just follow the Coast Guard markers. For some reason I have never tried the Tour Boat routes. They take liberty with some short cuts and do not use the markers that are there.

Beautiful place to come to. You will be in my home territory.... God's Country. I would offer to buddy boat with you to show you the way, but my little boat needs a trailer plugin replaced and I do not think I will have time to work on it today....dang lights plug from trailer to truck fell out and dragged the road and is needing replacement.

Be good to see you again. Lady friend???????????????????????

Lunchmoney
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:36 pm
[quote="MealOnReels"]Is the public ramp on Harkers too shallow Lunchmoney ?[/quote]

As said above it's shoaled up pretty bad at the bridge end closest to the ramp. I wouldn't attempt it in anything bigger than a skiff.

Squid Row
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:20 pm
dontcatch wrote:
Rich,

Using Harkers Island Wildlife ramp can get you grounded. I made it through earlier this week at low tide and bumped bottom going in and out. I was using my Mckee Craft (the Sheephead boat). Have not had my Carolina Skiff through there (electrical problems and in the shop), but Rachel's son has taken his new C. Skiff from the ramp and the back way to Barden Inlet and he has/had virtually no knowledge of boating or the area.

I guess you will be coming up via the Waterway. If so, then go out via Beaufort Inlet to get to Cape Lookout.

Have not paid much attention to the weather for this weekend, but I believe it is going to be a tad rough. Southwest wind tends to build up the water on this south facing beach. .

Going the "backway" from Morehead City, behind Shackleford Island can be tricky if you are not accustomed to the route. The "S" curve from the east end of Harkers to Barden Inlet shoaled up a while back and there are now local planted markers through there, then it is just follow the Coast Guard markers. For some reason I have never tried the Tour Boat routes. They take liberty with some short cuts and do not use the markers that are there.

Beautiful place to come to. You will be in my home territory.... God's Country. I would offer to buddy boat with you to show you the way, but my little boat needs a trailer plugin replaced and I do not think I will have time to work on it today....dang lights plug from trailer to truck fell out and dragged the road and is needing replacement.

Be good to see you again. Lady friend???????????????????????

Thanks John! To answer the last question, first.. yes.

We rode down from Emerald Isle, watched the USN 21 depart then had lunch. Cruised over to Beaufort, then to Harkers and as we turned by the shoal markers, the NPS ferry headed out so we followed him and saved the trail for the ride back. It was WINDY as heck.
Should have given you a call. Next time!!

MarkA
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:45 pm
Just curious- did he go through the S turns? I’ve heard some folks talk about a route on the east side of the shoal that bypasses them. I thought they said the ferry runs it.

Clark
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:48 pm
The channel around the Middle Grounds is narrow so gl slow the first time.
From HI to CL, follow the ferrys, mark trace on the chartplotter.

Jump to: