Anyone else notice a big increase in sharks this year? - SaltwaterCentral.Com

capeditdotter
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:08 pm
I've been fishing out of Beufort/Bardins inlet NC for awhile now and this year I can hardly keep a bait in the water without a shark hitting it. This year when fishing near shore bottom structure I had countless shark hook ups on 2oz bucktails trying to catch a flounder. It got expensive after loosing a few to sharks so I switched to Jigging spoons and they were even hitting them some. This started around end of June and seems like every fish picture ive seen this year the tax man paid a visit. I have family in the charter business that said when they got on the black fins if they didn't hoss them in fast they would loose the fish to a shark.

Just curious if you guys feel like the sharks are out of hand this year where you are fishing at and if so any thoughts on it?

evanP220
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:44 pm
yeah I've notice the increase. there's nothing out there, that I know of, that eats sharks. plus I don't know anyone who is keeping them to eat so populations seem to have exploded.

we've lost several fish to sharks this year. I've also lost several fish from trying to horse them to the boat before the sharks get after them.

Timorjc
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:30 am
Increased every year for the last 5 or so years. This year has been horrible.  

ShockTreatment
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm
I was down at Destin, Fla last week and walked out on one of the piers. Two guys were hooked up to sharks 6 feet long and there were at least 3 others we saw. None were under 6 feet long.  

RonJon1011
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:02 pm
One trip we caught ten sharks, 2 cudas and 5 kings. Someone caught an 8 lb flounder here in NC so they plan to close flounder fishing completely. Maybe the
netters will go somewhere else. Is there somewhere else?????

capeditdotter
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:25 pm
can anyone make a taste scale for sharks?, ive heard Mako taste pretty decent but thats about it...if the shark is not terrible to eat and you are allowed to keep it I will start. Its kind of like managing land, every now and then you have to manage the predators or they will get out of control, the state is not going to come in and do it for you...  

KatfishKayak
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:11 pm
capeditdotter wrote:
can anyone make a taste scale for sharks?, ive heard Mako taste pretty decent but thats about it...if the shark is not terrible to eat and you are allowed to keep it I will start. Its kind of like managing land, every now and then you have to manage the predators or they will get out of control, the state is not going to come in and do it for you...

Shark is excellent eating, but you need to get the blood out right away or you'll have a stinking mess. I gut them over the side as soon as I can keep control of them. My regular favorites around here are blacktip and spinner.

The regs have gotten a little tricky, so you need to know what you've caught. Most of the keepers need to be 54", and you have to bring them back to the hill with the head and fins intact. Fish Rules app can be your friend.
Canyon Wren - Parker 2320 SC - 300hp Yamaha

Fishfull-Thinking
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:35 pm
capeditdotter wrote:

Hey Cape,

Thresher and Mako are the top eating sharks, don't even try a Blue shark. Blues have a consistency like tofu but the flavor is decent. Just really odd to have a squishy feeling piece of cooked fish in your mouth.

downeaster
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:54 pm
Interesting post from a well know poster over on another website which was posted a few months ago concerning sharks population according to a couple of shark experts over at the UNCWilminton. Evidently fishermen are not qualified to make comments on what they see on the water . " Ray Brown wrote:

On another front.....WNCT in Greenville who always, along with WITN, offers prejudicial news slanted towards continued harvest in NC versus conservation had to retract a story where I and many others had enough and challenged their story.

They ran a story on sharks and shark attacks and quoted commercial fishermen in Dare County who wanted to kill more sharks to "make everyone happy" and the story said that there were too many sharks. They even ended with a quote from an unidentified individual who they said they talked to while at the Big Rock weigh station saying that he had a shark eat a Marlin that would have weighed over 900 pounds.

Their story truly implied that shark numbers were up and were the reason shark attacks are up in NC and offered a commercial fisherman's suggestion that too many regulations kept them from thinning the shark population and the attempt was to have the observer seek fewer restrictions on shark harvest.

I and many, many other told them in comments that they were wrong and to ask scientists and not commercial fishermen for the truth. They finally did.

The first response was adding one paragraph at the end that basically said they had talked to UNC-W researchers and in fact shark numbers are really down from the past and not up. Surprise!!!

Finally, and hopefully because management finally realized the reporter was misinformed by fishermen, they did a complete rewrite of the story and said that while shark populations are down that increased tourism and increased number of people in the water was the more likely cause of increased shark attacks.

What does that prove? It proves if you don't accept bad information regarding fishery issues from either the media or politicians by backing them down then everyone gets to see the truth.

We are in the mess we are in today because we as citizens have not demanded the truth from either the medial or politicians or state employees. When we finally do, things will change just like in this case, but a few of us can't do it alone. If you read this......you have to take a stand too.

Matador
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:55 am
CCA Ray Brown?

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him THINK.

Timorjc
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:57 pm
Mako is awesome.
Thresher is excellent.
Blacktip is good.
Bonnet Head is ok.
Spinner is So-So.
All other sharks are cat food.

Bleed, gut, chill as soon as possible. Soak the chunks in milk for 3hrs or more. Egg wash, batter and fry. Mako is good grilled as well.

Kato
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:01 pm
I haven't noticed any more sharks this year versus previous. If anything there are a helluva a lot more cudas hanging around the last couple of years.

Rustyone
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:13 am
There are very few things in the ocean that tastes better than grilled, smoky Mako. Critical that they are gutted as soon as itís safe to do so. Also, as with all fish, medium rare is better than over cooked.

I will take Mako over Wahoo prepared any way except raw or ceviche. Canít beat Hoo for those 2.

A guy gave me a big chunk of hammer head once and we loved it. It behaves more like pork or veal when cooking than fish so we prepared it Marsala and Picatta style and it was freakin awesome.

As mentioned above, pay really close attention to species and size limits. The minimum size for female short fin Mako has been increased recently.

Bilzo
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:47 pm
per scientists, shark numbers are down, and you have to remember in this sensationalistic world, "shark" is something that gets hits on websites and news cycles. Just remember, everybody typically has an agenda.

Commercial fisherman - "There's too many sharks" (we want to be allowed to harvest and sell more)
Rec fisherman - "There's too many sharks" (I hate having competition for my gamefish)
Swimmers - "There's too many sharks" (I worry about getting munched on in the surf)
News Outlets - "There's too many sharks" (Scared people watch the news)
Shark Scientists - "Shark numbers are declining" (I need to keep my job)

I'm still inclined to believe the last one more than the first four though, as they usually have some sort of data to back up their claim.

pin
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:48 pm
Matador wrote:
CCA Ray Brown?

They have been taking this site over as well. Sure, listen to the scientist who looks at numbers vs the guy who sees it first hand every day. We keep hearin that numbers don't lie, but garbage in-garbage out.
33\' Sportfisher, Oak Island, NC

Jump to: