Washdown Pump Exterior Corrosion - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Mrquint
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:59 pm
I have three pumps under a hatch on my aft deck and the exterior of the pumps are rusting bad due to the saltwater intrusion. 2 are Shurflo washdown pumps and one is for the misters. Has anyone painted the metal exterior of these pumps before? I was thinking my non copper bottom paint or rust oleum or even flex-seal. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has a solution/ideas?

MealOnReels
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:24 pm
A film of petroleum jelly will stop corrosion  

RKForte
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:23 am
I recently replaced all of mine in my GF25. This time I am rinsing them with fresh water and leaving the hatches open so they can dry. Only time will tell if my process works.
https://www.facebook.com/Fish-On-Forte-1664722677109936/

Mrquint
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:02 am
Both good ideas, maybe I can do a combination of the both. I can't leave the hatch open to dry since my boat stays in the water but I could definitely rinse them off after a trip. I'm replacing the three as well and just looking to help with some preventative maintenance. Anyone paint there pumps before?

Titan
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:45 am
Spray a film of CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion inhibitor on them. Since they are already corroded/rusted, you might want to just keep using them until they finally fail (unless itís your bilge pumps) and them replace them. After you replace them spray a heavy coat of CRC on them, wait for that to dry and then spray another coat on top of that. Also like Rodney said, spray them off with fresh water after use. Mine did the same thing. Corroded so bad the outside case started falling off.  

Mrquint
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:36 pm
Thanks Titan, that'd be much easier than painting them...I'm replacing two and and have one that's still working, this will help with the new and old

Curmudgeon
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:08 pm
POR 15 ...😉  

Spacesaver
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 am
So we used to do this on my old man's 22' Edgewater, but it only works if nothing drains to the bilge. Pretty much everything, except the head floor, drained overboard. When we would get back from fishing, if we knew that we were not going to go again for 2+ weeks we would put 2-3 Damp Rid buckets (the small ones) in the bilge area and 1-2 down in the console (head floor). This seems like a ton of extra work, but it really wasn't at all. This made a huge difference in the amount of moisture in these areas and therefore the amount of corrosion on anything. It also kept everything much cleaner. Everyone has seen the blackish mildewish looking stuff that is all over everything in these moist areas, this method damn near eliminates this from happening.
We moved up to a 25' Sportsman a couple of years ago and this just doesn't work. Too much drains into the bilge.

Jump to: