GPS Data Problems - SaltwaterCentral.Com

mdfoster
Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:07 pm
I recently downloaded the GPS points that are in the Supermap. I was having error messages when converting the gpx files to use in a Lowrance and Garmin gps. In order to get the file to convert the points I had to remove some of the points that were causing the error messages. These points were:

<wpt id="742" lat="35.103469" lon="-75.715834">
<name><![CDATA[AR-230]]></name>
<cmt><![CDATA[75’ landing craft N35 06.117' W75 42.967]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

<wpt id="741" lat="35.103048" lon="-75.71612">
<name><![CDATA[AR-230]]></name>
<cmt><![CDATA[130’ yard freighter N35 06.183' W75 42.967]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

<wpt id="750" lat="34.946458" lon="-75.913528">
<name><![CDATA[AR-250]]></name>
<cmt><![CDATA[220’ Old Fairlield Bridge steel truss span N34 56.787' W75 54.811]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

<wpt id="751" lat="34.946574" lon="-75.913394">
<name><![CDATA[AR-250]]></name>
<cmt><![CDATA[220’ Old Fairlield Bridge steel truss span N34 56.794' W75 54.804]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

<wpt id="807" lat="34.672505" lon="-76.745267">
<name><![CDATA[AR-315]]></name>
<cmt><![CDATA[440’ liberty ship 'THEODORE PARKER'(bow)N34 40.350 W76 44.717]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

<wpt id="808" lat="34.672505" lon="-76.746117">
<cmt><![CDATA[440’ liberty ship 'THEODORE PARKER'(stern)N34 40.350 W76 44.767]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

<wpt id="822" lat="34.672007" lon="-76.746763">
<cmt><![CDATA[104' Navy tug 'TAKOS' N34 40.320 W76 44.806 ]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

<wpt id="836" lat="34.658055" lon="-76.807211">
<name><![CDATA[AR-320]]></name>
<cmt><![CDATA[140’ menhaden vessel 'NOVELTY' N34 39.483 W76 48.433]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

<wpt id="296" lat="33.030842" lon="-78.921894">
<name><![CDATA[Richmond Wreck]]></name>
<cmt><![CDATA[49' deep 250’ STEEL-HULLED BOAT N 33 01.849 W 078 55.311]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

<wpt id="136" lat="34.18615" lon="-76.60165">
<name><![CDATA[Schurz]]></name>
<cmt><![CDATA[The USS Schurz, lost off the North Carolina coast on June 21, 1918. Formerly known as the SMS Geier, it was a steel hulled German cruiser of the Bussard class built in 1894 by the Imperial Dockyard in Whilhelmshaven, Germany. The Schurz’s hull construction combined steel, wood planking, and copper sheathing, and its use of both sail and steam for propulsion make it a prime example of the evolution from traditional sailing technology to modern naval construction. Graduate student Tane Casserley conducted this investigation, using digital recording techniques, as part of his thesis research on the construction of late nineteenth century naval vessels used for colonial service in remote duty stations. The wreck lies 32 miles offshore in 115 feet of water.]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

<wpt id="48702" lat="34.294566666667" lon="-77.710216666667">
<name><![CDATA[Wild Dayrell]]></name>
<cmt><![CDATA[Bow?.......... 34.17.658 / 77.42.603&lt;br /&gt;
Mid Ship?.... 34.17.668 / 77.42.606&lt;br /&gt;
Stern?......... 34.17.674 /77.42.613&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
Wilmington of the following blockade runners, of which I have previously informed you by telegraph:&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; The Wild Dayrell, Nutfield, Dee, Emily, and the Fanny and Jenny.

Upon the reporting of the Sassacus, Lieutenant-Commander Roe, she was assigned by me to duty as an outside cruiser, to cruise upon the line of bearing between New Inlet and Bermuda, not farther to the eastward than the meridian of 75 west longitude, a station where her reputation for speed would be severely tested, one in which a very fast cruiser w uld prove a great stumbling block to the blockade runners. The result has equaled my expectations, and the destruction of the steamers Wild Dayrell and Nutfield by the Sassacus, both new and fast steamers, the latter on her first voyage, are added to the long list of disasters to the blockade runners. &lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; Upon the morning of the 1st instant Lieutenant-Commander Eoe discovered black smoke inshore of him, and, pursuing it, discovered the Wild Dayrell on shore, near Stump Inlet. He boarded, and found her to be partially filled with an assorted cargo. Her crew had abandoned her and fled to the shore. After great exertions to get her afloat, in which he was assisted by the Florida, it was found impracticable, and she was completely destroyed. Lieutenant Commander Roe estimates her value, with her cargo, at about §200,000. After completing the destruction of the Wild Dayrell, the Sassacus proceeded to take up her assigned station, and at 7 o'clock on the morning of the 4th instant a blockade runner was discovered to the northward and westward of him, distant 12 miles. Chase was immediately given and after a five hours' chase the steamer was brought under fire, and finding escape impossible she ran on shore at 1 o'clock p. m., near New River Inlet. &lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; Her officers and crew escaped to the land in their boats; one boat load, however, was capsized and the crew drowned, with the exception of a Mr. Mell, the purser of the steamer, who was rescued from drowning by the boats of the Sassacus, which were immediately sent in to take possession of the prize. She proved to be the English steamer Nutfield, from Bermuda, bound to Wilmington, previously mentioned in consular dispatches. From Mr. Mell, who was rescued, I learn that her cargo was munitions of war, arms, a battery of eight Whitworth guns, and pig lead. The guns and lead were thrown overboard during the chase. Finding it impossible to get the Nutfield afloat, after great exertions to that end, she was fired and destroyed. Some 700 rifles and a quantity of cavalry sabers, together with other articles, were rescued from her, and will be sent in for adjudication at an early date. &lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; Lieutenant-Commander Roe reports that the Sassacus attained a speed of 13 knots and gained rapidly upon his chase, reported one of the fastest steamers yet sent to run the blockade. &lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; Upon the 6th instant the Cam bridge discovered a steamer ashore and on fire, about 1 mile south of Masonboro Inlet, which proved to bo the blockade running steamer Dee, from Bermuda to Wilmington. Finding it impossible to extinguish the flames or to get her off, Commander Spicer, of the Cambridge, abandoned the attempt, and still further destroyed her by firing into her. Seven of her crew were captured, and are now held as prisoners on the Cambridge. From these prisoners I learn that the Dee was commanded by G. H. Bier, formerly a lieutenant in the United States naval service. She was loaded with lead, coffee, and bacon, all of which, with the vessel, were completely destroyed. &lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; At 5:50 a. m. on the 10th instant a steamer was discovered from the Florida, standing along the shore toward New Inlet. After pursuingand firing at her, she ran on shore near Masonboro Inlet. Commander Crosby sent his boats and took possession of her. She proved to be the side wheel steamer Funny and Jenny, commanded by the notorious Captain Coxetter, who, with the purser, was drowned in endeavoring to reach the shore. The remainder of her crew, 25 in number, were captured, and are now prisoners on board the Florida. The steamer was loaded with merchandise and coal. The enemy opened fire upon the wreck and upon the Florida with musketry and Whitworth guns, by which fire Acting Assistant Paymaster W. F. Keeler received a severe but not dangerous wound. Finding it impossible to get the steamer alioat after great exertions, Commander Crosby ordered the steamer to be fired, which was done under a severe fire of the enemy. The Florida received some damage from the fire of the enemy, which can readily be repaired. At the same time that the Fanny and Jenny ran on shore another steamer was seen from the Florida ashore about one-half mile to the northward of the Fanny and Jenny, which was also boarded by the Florida's boats. This proved .to be the Emily, from Nassau, with a cargo of merchandise and salt. She was also fired and destroyed, as it was impossible to get her afloat. &lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; The Fanny and Jenny, Emily, and Nntjidd are new vessels, and this is supposed to be the first attempt to run the blockade. &lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; The Wild Dayrell has made one successful voyage, and the Dee is an old offender. &lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; I have the honor to be, sir, very respectfully, yours, &lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; S. P. Lee, Actg. Rear Admiral, Comdg. North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. &lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt; Rich Inlet Wreck. The remains of this iron hulled side-wheel blockade runner, named Wild Dayrell, are buried in 10 feet of water in Rich Inlet near Figure 8 Island. Built in 1863 and sunk in 1864. Owned by the State of North Carolina. Listed in the National Register as part of an archeological district, this wreck is nationally significant.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://fryingpantower.com/modules.php?name=Forums&amp;file=viewtopic&amp;p=68099#68099&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;HERE&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://map.fishthecarolinacoast.com/video/Wild_Dayrell.jpg&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://map.fishthecarolinacoast.com/video/Wild_Dayrell.jpg&quot; alt=&quot;Phantom&quot; width=&quot;200&quot; height=&quot;150&quot; border=&quot;0&quot;&gt;&lt;/a&gt;]]></cmt>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
</wpt>

I tried converting the files several times and these point were always the ones causing the problems. I didn't see anything obvious to cause the errors. Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with these points? I tried converting with EasyGPS and I also used GPSBabel which worked well once the bad points were deleted.

Capt_Dave
Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:00 pm
I would bet that it is the .....’.....

That is causeing the problem.

Dave

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters

mdfoster
Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:21 pm
I think you are right. I took it out on one or two of them and I didn't have the error for that point. Just not sure why it affects some of these and not the others.  

Jump to: