Fine Tuning Ballyhoo Rigs - SaltwaterCentral.Com

kloughlin67
Mon May 27, 2019 2:23 pm
Looking for some critique on fine tuning ballyhoo pin rigs. I believe an important measurement is the distance between the pin and the bend of the hook. This distance determines how far back the hook will be positioned on the bait. So, in order to get the hook farther back, I thought about enlarging the loop that goes through the eye of the hook. Doing this results in the eye of the hook being down into the bait's body cavity rather than being under the eyes. It also causes the hook to lose any rigidity/stiffness with the rest of the rig because the loop isn't cinched down tight on the eye of the hook.

Wondering if anybody else has set their rigs up this way and if the bait presentation was good. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

stevehes
Tue May 28, 2019 9:02 pm
I would think you would have trouble feeding the ballyhoo around the hook once you get the eye buried in the gill.

Contender 25 200 Verados
Contender 23 - SOLD

wavescrash
Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 pm
If you're gonna do that a needle eye hook will work better  

RyanY
Wed May 29, 2019 2:55 pm
Needle eye can be tough with mono though depending on how much of an edge there is on the inside eye of the hook.

LILRASCAL
Wed May 29, 2019 4:08 pm
Stevehes is correct. You will have a very hard time getting the hook down into the bait.

kloughlin67
Wed May 29, 2019 5:05 pm
Thanks for the comments. I tried it out on some baits I had left over from my last trip and was able to get a hold of the hook from the barb end and pull it through a little. Definitely wouldn't have to worry about pulling the bait from the hook rather than the pin (no spinning hopefully), but I think washout might become an issue and/or getting cut off with the leader further back where teeth might be.

StressReelief

Parker 23 CC

200 Yamaha

weekend-hooker
Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 pm
Here's my critique.... 1st bait left over for me goes in the trash...I always uses freshly unpacked baits the day I fish. lose the crimp closest to the hook, close up the loop between the hook and gill weight, loose enough for full movement of the hook....use one crimp at the pin...when placing the hook,hold the pin where you plan to pin it and puncture the ballahoo with the hook prior to inserting it in the gills ..... be sure to break and clean the ballahoo so its good and flexible...and try to snap its back some more...inserts your hook and hide the weight as good as you can in the gills...then wire, rubber band or nose pin it...and dont pull it too fast....  

fishangel
Wed May 29, 2019 10:31 pm
"Here's my critique.... 1st bait left over for me goes in the trash...I always uses freshly unpacked baits the day I fish. lose the crimp closest to the hook, close up the loop between the hook and gill weight, loose enough for full movement of the hook....use one crimp at the pin...when placing the hook,hold the pin where you plan to pin it and puncture the ballahoo with the hook prior to inserting it in the gills ..... be sure to break and clean the ballahoo so its good and flexible...and try to snap its back some more...inserts your hook and hide the weight as good as you can in the gills...then wire, rubber band or nose pin it...and dont pull it too fast...".

There is a reason for this, it works

kloughlin67
Thu May 30, 2019 12:00 pm
Hey Hooker....

Thanks man, appreciate the good critique. I'll set a rig up as you have described and see how it swims. I should've clarified that I don't re-use baits either. But I do save any leftovers to practice and/or test different rig setups at the house. Afterwards, the cat gets them. Zero hookup ratio on the cat so far.

Most of my rigs have the loop at the hook cinched up pretty tight, limiting its mobility. That may be inducing poor swimming characteristics. I like your "less is more" approach by eliminating the hook-side crimp. Can't wait to give it a try!

StressReelief

Parker 23 CC

200 Yamaha

ntbrinkl
Thu May 30, 2019 1:38 pm
I think with a loop that loose, long and lanky you'd have trouble getting the hook to sit straight up and down. The mono loop will fold over versus the hooks eye and not sit properly or consistent. Or at least that the problem when I tried something similar to this but not as long. and you'll need to adjust your pin once it does fold over to try to make everything straight.

weekend-hooker
Thu May 30, 2019 7:38 pm
Depending on what you're targeting hook size...I like anywhere from a 7-9 mustad hook.....if you ever start doubting your rig....grab a Blue Water Candy Ballyhoo Skirted Rig at a local shop and make yours as close to it as you can... they pull really well, I use their skirts and Jo Shutes skirts on my rigs I make.
If I'm pulling naked I'll wire the nose or rubber band it...if im pulling skirts I'll use the nose spring...

Jump to: