Best card for chartplotter - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Post new topic   Reply to topic
 

Saltypleasure
Posts: 29
Location: To far from salt water!
Reply with quote
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:55 am
Looking to upgrade my lowrance and am currently running a navionics card. No issues with it but was wondering if the c-map or another brand was better or if I should just stick with navionics. Thanks in advance  
View user's profile Send private message

Capt.Barbosa
Posts: 793
Location: Oak Island, Chapel Hill, NC
Reply with quote
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:33 pm
Which navionics card do you have? I have the platinum plus and it has the best most accurate depth contours i've seen on a map. I actually use the map contours to find spots within 30 miles of the beach (over 30 miles is more inaccurate), it is surprisingly accurate. I've found some good bottom just from the navionics contours. CMOR is gonna be awesome, but it is really expensive now and limited data in our area.  
View user's profile Send private message

Saltypleasure
Posts: 29
Location: To far from salt water!
Reply with quote
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:15 pm
I appreciate the input! I have the regions card for our area. Is there a difference in the Platinum plus detail over the regions? I thought when I purchased, the detail was about the same. The only difference was the map area. Am I wrong? North and South of the big rock area out of Beaufort had great contours but from Beaufort inlet out to the big rock is crap. It's like a chunk is missing. Maybe a bad card? I seen the cmor cards. They are going to be sick! However $700 for a tiny sliver of info right now is pointless.  
View user's profile Send private message

ScottK
Posts: 1335
Location: Central NC
Reply with quote
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:20 pm
Read up on this thread: https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/821830-cmor-mapping-wow-7.html
_________________
Cobia 244 ~ Twin F115\'s -\"Game Changer\"

  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

SlackTide
Posts: 30
Reply with quote
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 pm
Saltypleasure wrote:
I appreciate the input! I have the regions card for our area. Is there a difference in the Platinum plus detail over the regions? I thought when I purchased, the detail was about the same. The only difference was the map area. Am I wrong? North and South of the big rock area out of Beaufort had great contours but from Beaufort inlet out to the big rock is crap. It's like a chunk is missing. Maybe a bad card? I seen the cmor cards. They are going to be sick! However $700 for a tiny sliver of info right now is pointless.


The difference between the Platinum+ and the Regions card you have is the Platinum card comes with a satellite overlay and is a smaller area per card. The regions has several states, while the Platinum+ will be a much smaller area, which is cool if you don't move around a lot. Other than the area and the satellite overlay, which is helpful sometimes, the detail and contours will be the same.

I saw the CMOR charts this weekend at a West Marine and they look great. There is some question as to how detailed they are right now. One guy I know who dives a lot said his favorite spot did not show up on CMOR even though that area was mapped. It's early though for them and there are going to be areas to fill in on any chart.
  
View user's profile Send private message

Saltypleasure
Posts: 29
Location: To far from salt water!
Reply with quote
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:27 pm
SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:
I appreciate the input! I have the regions card for our area. Is there a difference in the Platinum plus detail over the regions? I thought when I purchased, the detail was about the same. The only difference was the map area. Am I wrong? North and South of the big rock area out of Beaufort had great contours but from Beaufort inlet out to the big rock is crap. It's like a chunk is missing. Maybe a bad card? I seen the cmor cards. They are going to be sick! However $700 for a tiny sliver of info right now is pointless.


The difference between the Platinum+ and the Regions card you have is the Platinum card comes with a satellite overlay and is a smaller area per card. The regions has several states, while the Platinum+ will be a much smaller area, which is cool if you don't move around a lot. Other than the area and the satellite overlay, which is helpful sometimes, the detail and contours will be the same.

I saw the CMOR charts this weekend at a West Marine and they look great. There is some question as to how detailed they are right now. One guy I know who dives a lot said his favorite spot did not show up on CMOR even though that area was mapped. It's early though for them and there are going to be areas to fill in on any chart.


Thanks slack

Maybe I just need to get a new card from navionics. Mine must be a lemon. I have tried updating it and it shows to be updated but I still have a missing area of detail where I shouldn't. And odly enough, that area that is missing is the one and only reason I got the card to begin with. I'm a firm believer in second chances so I'll get another card and hopefully it won't be wacked either.
  
View user's profile Send private message

Capt.Barbosa
Posts: 793
Location: Oak Island, Chapel Hill, NC
Reply with quote
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:19 pm
SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:
I appreciate the input! I have the regions card for our area. Is there a difference in the Platinum plus detail over the regions? I thought when I purchased, the detail was about the same. The only difference was the map area. Am I wrong? North and South of the big rock area out of Beaufort had great contours but from Beaufort inlet out to the big rock is crap. It's like a chunk is missing. Maybe a bad card? I seen the cmor cards. They are going to be sick! However $700 for a tiny sliver of info right now is pointless.


The difference between the Platinum+ and the Regions card you have is the Platinum card comes with a satellite overlay and is a smaller area per card. The regions has several states, while the Platinum+ will be a much smaller area, which is cool if you don't move around a lot. Other than the area and the satellite overlay, which is helpful sometimes, the detail and contours will be the same.

I saw the CMOR charts this weekend at a West Marine and they look great. There is some question as to how detailed they are right now. One guy I know who dives a lot said his favorite spot did not show up on CMOR even though that area was mapped. It's early though for them and there are going to be areas to fill in on any chart.


The navionics platinum plus contours and details are 10 times better than the base region navionics maps. I have both on my machine, and there is no comparison. The satellite overlay is useless. The details and contours of the PP are second to none, and very accurate.
  
View user's profile Send private message

Saltypleasure
Posts: 29
Location: To far from salt water!
Reply with quote
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:45 pm
Capt.Barbosa wrote:
SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:
I appreciate the input! I have the regions card for our area. Is there a difference in the Platinum plus detail over the regions? I thought when I purchased, the detail was about the same. The only difference was the map area. Am I wrong? North and South of the big rock area out of Beaufort had great contours but from Beaufort inlet out to the big rock is crap. It's like a chunk is missing. Maybe a bad card? I seen the cmor cards. They are going to be sick! However $700 for a tiny sliver of info right now is pointless.


The difference between the Platinum+ and the Regions card you have is the Platinum card comes with a satellite overlay and is a smaller area per card. The regions has several states, while the Platinum+ will be a much smaller area, which is cool if you don't move around a lot. Other than the area and the satellite overlay, which is helpful sometimes, the detail and contours will be the same.

I saw the CMOR charts this weekend at a West Marine and they look great. There is some question as to how detailed they are right now. One guy I know who dives a lot said his favorite spot did not show up on CMOR even though that area was mapped. It's early though for them and there are going to be areas to fill in on any chart.


The navionics platinum plus contours and details are 10 times better than the base region navionics maps. I have both on my machine, and there is no comparison. The satellite overlay is useless. The details and contours of the PP are second to none, and very accurate.


I'm not sure I understand. The navionics website says both utilize the same sonar chart with 1' contours. The only difference that I can see is that the Platinum plus also comes with 3D contours and satellite overlay. Other than those, the detail of contours should be the same??
  
View user's profile Send private message

Capt.Barbosa
Posts: 793
Location: Oak Island, Chapel Hill, NC
Reply with quote
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 pm
I am sorry maybe I am wrong, but the base navionics map on my simrad unit has very little detail or contours compared to the PP chart i installed. Hope this helps, sorry for the confusion.  
View user's profile Send private message

SEAHORSE
Posts: 1151
Location: Carolina Beach
Reply with quote
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm
Would like to share something Iíve noticed with c-map navionucs and garmin.
Depending on the mileage setting you choose you will get an amazing difference in displayed information. Iíve got dual Garmin plotters on my bridge and when Iím running Iíll keep each on a different mileage setting to get the rest info I can on water depth ledges and navigation buoys. Try it if your not aware already.
_________________
Think I will change the name of my boat to Livin The Dream!!
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

fishing-misfit
Posts: 74
Location: Hampstead NC
Reply with quote
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 pm
SEAHORSE wrote:
Would like to share something Iíve noticed with c-map navionucs and garmin.
Depending on the mileage setting you choose you will get an amazing difference in displayed information. Iíve got dual Garmin plotters on my bridge and when Iím running Iíll keep each on a different mileage setting to get the rest info I can on water depth ledges and navigation buoys. Try it if your not aware already.

Thanks for that info, I need to try this. Just purchased a new boat and the only negative I have found is the factory installed Garmin 1242 touch. It may be a great unit but I have purchased the Bluechart G2 map card and it still does not seem to be near as much detail as the Simrad NSS EVO2 on the boat I just sold. I am going to give it a try through Spring then add a 2nd 12" Garmin if I get use to it. Really don't want to spend $8k+ on Simrad on a new boat with a 12" Garmin and thru hull transducer already installed
  
View user's profile Send private message

Saltypleasure
Posts: 29
Location: To far from salt water!
Reply with quote
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 pm
SEAHORSE wrote:
Would like to share something Iíve noticed with c-map navionucs and garmin.
Depending on the mileage setting you choose you will get an amazing difference in displayed information. Iíve got dual Garmin plotters on my bridge and when Iím running Iíll keep each on a different mileage setting to get the rest info I can on water depth ledges and navigation buoys. Try it if your not aware already.


I noticed this. To get the full details, I need to be on like 0.3 miles. My problem is that say , north of the big rock, it shows the drop very well and detailed as well as everything else toward shore. From say, the swansboro hole south and all the way in and, it is great in detail. But from the cape lookout shoals out to the big rock, and including the big rock, it's pure s*&t. The detail is no different than what would come preloaded
  
View user's profile Send private message

Saltypleasure
Posts: 29
Location: To far from salt water!
Reply with quote
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:30 pm
SEAHORSE wrote:
Would like to share something Iíve noticed with c-map navionucs and garmin.
Depending on the mileage setting you choose you will get an amazing difference in displayed information. Iíve got dual Garmin plotters on my bridge and when Iím running Iíll keep each on a different mileage setting to get the rest info I can on water depth ledges and navigation buoys. Try it if your not aware already.


I noticed this. To get the full details, I need to be on like 0.3 miles. My problem is that say , north of the big rock, it shows the drop very well and detailed as well as everything else toward shore. From say, the swansboro hole south and all the way in and, it is great in detail. But from the cape lookout shoals out to the big rock, and including the big rock, it's pure s*&t. The detail is no different than what would come preloaded
  
View user's profile Send private message

SlackTide
Posts: 30
Reply with quote
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:24 pm
Saltypleasure wrote:
Capt.Barbosa wrote:
SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:
I appreciate the input! I have the regions card for our area. Is there a difference in the Platinum plus detail over the regions? I thought when I purchased, the detail was about the same. The only difference was the map area. Am I wrong? North and South of the big rock area out of Beaufort had great contours but from Beaufort inlet out to the big rock is crap. It's like a chunk is missing. Maybe a bad card? I seen the cmor cards. They are going to be sick! However $700 for a tiny sliver of info right now is pointless.


The difference between the Platinum+ and the Regions card you have is the Platinum card comes with a satellite overlay and is a smaller area per card. The regions has several states, while the Platinum+ will be a much smaller area, which is cool if you don't move around a lot. Other than the area and the satellite overlay, which is helpful sometimes, the detail and contours will be the same.

I saw the CMOR charts this weekend at a West Marine and they look great. There is some question as to how detailed they are right now. One guy I know who dives a lot said his favorite spot did not show up on CMOR even though that area was mapped. It's early though for them and there are going to be areas to fill in on any chart.


The navionics platinum plus contours and details are 10 times better than the base region navionics maps. I have both on my machine, and there is no comparison. The satellite overlay is useless. The details and contours of the PP are second to none, and very accurate.


I'm not sure I understand. The navionics website says both utilize the same sonar chart with 1' contours. The only difference that I can see is that the Platinum plus also comes with 3D contours and satellite overlay. Other than those, the detail of contours should be the same??


The one-foot contours on the Platinum Plus and the Navionics Plus are the exact same contours. The only difference in those chips (besides coverage area) is that the Platinum Plus comes with a satellite overlay and 3D imaging.
  
View user's profile Send private message

Saltypleasure
Posts: 29
Location: To far from salt water!
Reply with quote
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 pm
Thanks slack! I can't remember off the top of my head and my boat is at the marina in Beaufort which is 4 hours away. I'll hold off on buying a new card until I get back down there and check it out. I'll take pics of every screen I get and document each step so I can let you know. Hopefully you can help and save me a couple hundred! Thanks again and I'll keep in touch!

Tried to pm you but I just get an invalid session
  
View user's profile Send private message

SlackTide
Posts: 30
Reply with quote
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm
Saltypleasure wrote:
Thanks slack! I can't remember off the top of my head and my boat is at the marina in Beaufort which is 4 hours away. I'll hold off on buying a new card until I get back down there and check it out. I'll take pics of every screen I get and document each step so I can let you know. Hopefully you can help and save me a couple hundred! Thanks again and I'll keep in touch!

Tried to pm you but I just get an invalid session


Cool! Just let me know what you've got and we'll get you figured out.

Good luck!
  
View user's profile Send private message

Carlmon
Posts: 29
Reply with quote
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:29 am
SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:
Capt.Barbosa wrote:
SlackTide wrote:
Saltypleasure wrote:
I appreciate the input! I have the regions card for our area. Is there a difference in the Platinum plus detail over the regions? I thought when I purchased, the detail was about the same. The only difference was the map area. Am I wrong? North and South of the big rock area out of Beaufort had great contours but from Beaufort inlet out to the big rock is crap. It's like a chunk is missing. Maybe a bad card? I seen the cmor cards. They are going to be sick! However $700 for a tiny sliver of info right now is pointless.


The difference between the Platinum+ and the Regions card you have is the Platinum card comes with a satellite overlay and is a smaller area per card. The regions has several states, while the Platinum+ will be a much smaller area, which is cool if you don't move around a lot. Other than the area and the satellite overlay, which is helpful sometimes, the detail and contours will be the same.

I saw the CMOR charts this weekend at a West Marine and they look great. There is some question as to how detailed they are right now. One guy I know who dives a lot said his favorite spot did not show up on CMOR even though that area was mapped. It's early though for them and there are going to be areas to fill in on any chart.


The navionics platinum plus contours and details are 10 times better than the base region navionics maps. I have both on my machine, and there is no comparison. The satellite overlay is useless. The details and contours of the PP are second to none, and very accurate.


I'm not sure I understand. The navionics website says both utilize the same sonar chart with 1' contours. The only difference that I can see is that the Platinum plus also comes with 3D contours and satellite overlay. Other than those, the detail of contours should be the same??


The one-foot contours on the Platinum Plus and the Navionics Plus are the exact same contours. The only difference in those chips (besides coverage area) is that the Platinum Plus comes with a satellite overlay and 3D imaging.


Good info on the comparison between them. The Navionics Plus seems will perform just fine.
  
View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic


Jump to:   

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Best card for chartplotter - SaltwaterCentral.Com

*