Penn Reel Service - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Bilzo
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:05 pm
I've got a couple Penn GTi 345 Levelwinds that I break out maybe once a year to do bottom fishing with (they also are OK for trolling). They're both not functioning ideal anymore and I was thinking of sending them to Penn to get them serviced as they have a flat fee/process (less parts of course).

Has anybody ever used this, and have any comments about how it works?

I know, I know - go see your local person, or "I got a guy that'll do that for you". meh...if I send it back to them and they screw it up, it's on them. I'm ok with that.

Just looking for opinions from people who may have done this before me.

Thanks.

Fishfull-Thinking
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 pm
Hey Bilzo,

I have a couple of GTI's as well (about 20 yrs old) and have always done my own servicing. They really are pretty easy to work on. You might want to give that a shot before sending them out.

A friend of mine, Alan Tani does reel repair and runs a website with a whole bunch of very detailed tutorials on maintaining reels. Here is the link to the tutorial for the GTI's. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9.0 I have found his tutorials very helpful in maintaining all my reels.

Hope this helps,

John

Fishfull-Thinking
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:35 pm
Hey Bilzo,

I have a couple of GTI's as well (about 20 yrs old) and have always done my own servicing. They really are pretty easy to work on. You might want to give that a shot before sending them out.

A friend of mine, Alan Tani does reel repair and runs a website with a whole bunch of very detailed tutorials on maintaining reels. Here is the link to the tutorial for the GTI's. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9.0 I have found his tutorials very helpful in maintaining all my reels.

Hope this helps,

John

KatfishKayak
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:58 pm
I haven't sent anything to Penn, but I just ordered some more parts to repair my 850 Spinfisher, and they were awesome.

For service, I've been using a guy nearby in Hampstead. Can't tell you much about Pittsboro.
Canyon Wren - Parker 2320 SC - 300hp Yamaha

Bilzo
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:18 pm
I've fixed the levelwind on mine before (ordered parts and replaced them) and some other minor things, but now the spool isn't turning smoothly with the handle crank and I think one of the times I took them apart and put them back together, I didn't get things aligned perfectly and there spool isn't 'floating' like it should or the drag washers got severely f-d up. Ergo - call in people who know better than me.

So...based on the fact that ordering parts from them has always been easy and simply, I was hoping their repair service was similarly good.

steve76
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:45 am
I bought some really old well used International 50ís a long time ago. Mailed them to Penn to get serviced and they supposedly needed new everything. I didnít know any better at the time so just asked if they could estimate the cost. They did and I agreed. Well....long story short, they emailed me with a bill that exceeded what I couldíve bought some new reels for which was no where near the estimate. At first, I told them they could just keep the reels but luckily I had saved all the emails. We agreed on a price that was higher than the estimate but I would never do business with them again. Thank goodness I found Alan Tani and Rick Thompson. They are the only 2 who service my reels now.

fishangel
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:08 am
Rick Thompson is the best! I have no idea who on this web site recommended him a long time ago, but I sure do need to thank him.  

mckneip
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 am
Does anyone have the contact info for Rick Thompson or Alan Tani??? I have a squall 30 2 speed that seems to have something wrong on it where the spool acts like it is slipping.

CW66
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 am
http://www.ricksreelservice.com/
\"Fine Girl\"
2015 Sportsman Masters 207 Bay

\"I play with Electricity!\"

SEAHORSE
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:56 am
I hesitated to chime in here due to OP not wanting ď I know a guyĒ.
First be careful when looking for Ricks Reel Service. Thereís a guy in NC same business name and he wonít tell you heís not the one everyone recommends. Ask me how I know?
Ricks Reel Service in Florida is the $Hit!!!
Where do you find soneone so sure of their work you donít get a bill until you have your reels back an have tested the preformance. Constant communication, fair prices ,most parts stocked, egrnomic handel replacement, drag upgrades,pretty much anything you want done he can deliver and the very nicest guy youíll ever speak to.
Gave one of my two speed Fin-Norís to a local tackle shop here in NC for clean up and grease just because it was time. Nothing wrong just service it. Came back all Fíed up. Sent it back , kept it four weeks ,same crap. Sent it to Rick and told him what happened. Said he likes a challenge and after two weeks calls to tell me somebody left a part out and thatís why itís locking up. Tracked schematic from an old employee of company,located part and fixed an absolutely useless reel after wrong guy touched it. Whopping $35.00 including part. Nobody else ever touches my reels anymore but Rick

Fishfull-Thinking
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:51 pm
mckneip wrote:
Does anyone have the contact info for Rick Thompson or Alan Tani??? I have a squall 30 2 speed that seems to have something wrong on it where the spool acts like it is slipping.

Alan Tani's website is: http://alantani.com/index.php Have known him for years, real stand up guy.

Squid Row
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:12 pm
I use Rick's Reel in Florida and won't send my reels anywhere else.

Rick is fantastic

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

Bilzo
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:32 pm
Here's what I decided to do...
I also have a Penn Conquer spinning reel. I don't take 'perfect' care of my reels, but I am attentive (wash em off, open the drag all the way when done for the day before storing)

Anyway - that penn conquer spinning reel - the bail doesn't flip back when you start the retrieve and the drag washers must be corroded together or something because even when wide open, it barely gives line and by no means, smoothly.

Those two things ought to be the common easy fixes. I'll see how they do with that one, and if it works out OK, i'll send them the 345 gtis.

I'll touch back with a report on how it goes. I appreciate everybody telling me who their go to guy is, even though that's explicitly what I wasn't asking for :)
Seriously though - it's fine. If this doesn't work out, I've got other options to consult.

werewolf0711
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:15 pm
Don't waste your time with penn. If you want honest work and someone that's not going to gouge you you need to contact rick. It's a one person deal, no big corporation. I like to tear into my own stuff but I couldn't get my trinidad to come apart so I sent it to him. Pretty cheap later and he had it back to me and ready to roll.

If you want to spend more and have a headache then send your stuff to penn.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

Wes
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:38 pm
SEAHORSE wrote:
I hesitated to chime in here due to OP not wanting ď I know a guyĒ.
First be careful when looking for Ricks Reel Service. Thereís a guy in NC same business name and he wonít tell you heís not the one everyone recommends. Ask me how I know?
Ricks Reel Service in Florida is the $Hit!!!
Where do you find soneone so sure of their work you donít get a bill until you have your reels back an have tested the preformance. Constant communication, fair prices ,most parts stocked, egrnomic handel replacement, drag upgrades,pretty much anything you want done he can deliver and the very nicest guy youíll ever speak to.
Gave one of my two speed Fin-Norís to a local tackle shop here in NC for clean up and grease just because it was time. Nothing wrong just service it. Came back all Fíed up. Sent it back , kept it four weeks ,same crap. Sent it to Rick and told him what happened. Said he likes a challenge and after two weeks calls to tell me somebody left a part out and thatís why itís locking up. Tracked schematic from an old employee of company,located part and fixed an absolutely useless reel after wrong guy touched it. Whopping $35.00 including part. Nobody else ever touches my reels anymore but Rick

I 100% agree with everything Seahorse said. I've had a very similar experience

GeeDub
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:03 am
Rick's Reel Service in FL.
You will thanks us later. No connection other than a very satisfied customer. Would not let anyone else touch my stuff. Not even manufacturer.

surffishn
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:48 am
Squid Row wrote:
I use Rick's Reel in Florida and won't send my reels anywhere else.

Rick is fantastic

I agree bit of a pain to mail anything. But Ricks in Florida is as good as it gets. None better bar none!!!! Great communication no hidden costs.

Bilzo
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:11 pm
Got the call back on my spinning reel. $54. will be back in 7-10 days. I'll let y'all know how it behaves.  

Noworries79
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:38 am
https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Local-Business/EPs-Custom-Rod-and-Reel-489220041236146/

Ernie at EPs Custom Rod & Reel does a great job at a reasonable price out of Goldsboro, NC

Ken1
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:46 pm
Hi Bilzo,

I send my TLD 15, 20, 25's back to Shimano every few years as they have a flat fee for tune-ups/repairs plus parts also. I think it is like $25-$30. They always look in better shape and operate as new when I get them back. Many times they send me back re-furbished units instead of the reels I sent. You can't go wrong with sending these back to the original manufacturer.
I also rinse my reels after every use and store them properly but its a rough environment when they are in use.
Keep us informed on how it goes with Penn.

Bilzo
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:45 am
So thereís what all they replaced. Some of them still looked useable, but
Shoot ... $10 for all those parts including a new spool?! ($30 labor, $10 shipping). Iím sold. Iím gonna mail them my two 345 gtis now.

Jump to: