Squid Row
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:00 pm
MAD Morehead City Postponed

MAD Morehead City 2019 is being postponed. At this time we do not have enough volunteers to plan an amazing day for our military families and rather than host an event that is not up to our standards, we have elected to postpone the annual event in Morehead City.

Our plan is to spend the next year actively recruiting new volunteers to lead the chapter and to come back in 2020 better than ever.

Thank you for volunteering or donating over the past 14 years and for making amazing memories for our military families.

MAD events in Southport, Tidewater and Charleston will be held as planned.

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

Squid Row
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:37 pm
I have received a ton of messages, emails, phone calls and texts as you can imagine....

When we reconvene Morehead City (keep in mind this announcement is ONLY for MHC and does not affect Southport, Tidewater or Charleston) we will need volunteers in the roles of:
Chapter Leader
Food and Beverage Leader
Site Leader
Volunteer Boating Leader
Family Activities Leader
Fund Raising Leader

Each of those committees will need volunteers as well which is why we had to postpone this year. We ran out of time to fill these key roles in time to pull off an event this year.

I am one of the original founders of MAD and this pains me like you would not believe, but it was necessary. We are victims of our own success in that the event has outgrown an all volunteer organization's capacity. We need new ideas, new energy and new people. We have been riding the same 6-10 people for the better part of 14 years now and it is time for some new blood.

When we come back in 2020, it will be a scaled back event but it will live up to the standards we have set.

ScottK
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm
Just wanted everyone to know I am available to help answer any questions about all of the above as well.

ScottK
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:03 pm
Just wanted everyone to know I am available to help answer any questions about all of the above as well.

SouthernSon
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:52 pm
Although I too am disappointed, Hopefully this will get others fired up for the future. Thanks for all you guys have done through the years. Much appreciated.

fishangel
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:38 am
SouthernSon wrote:
Although I too am disappointed, Hopefully this will get others fired up for the future. Thanks for all you guys have done through the years. Much appreciated.

A very good point. Thanks to all of those who got this started and carried it on for so long, they all did a great job. Let's not let them down.

Squid Row
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:13 pm
If you are interested in helping out with the Morehead City chapter and getting it prepared for an event in 2020, please let me know.

We currently need:
MHC Chapter President - responsible to the MAD Inc Board of Directors (BOD is a 3 person, volunteer role that helps provide assistance and ensures that events are conducted according to the core MAD values)

The Chapter President will select and direct the area activity leaders whose main responsibilities (not a fully inclusive list, but the main activities) which listed below

Volunteer Boater Committee - coordinates all aspects of matching guests to volunteer boat providers. This includes matching guests to boats, volunteer mates, boat departure times, boat check in and check out

Family Activity Committee - coordinates all aspects of land based activities including carnival type games, music, Pirate Ship, kids fishing

Site Committee - negotiates with the Town of Morehead City to secure parks, dock space, bathroom facilities, set up, take down and clean up of parks, procure tents, tables and chairs, event insurance, banners and signage

Food Committee - coordinates all aspects of up to 1500 individual meals over two days including procuring chicken, pork, hot dogs, hamburgers, sides, desserts, water, soda, utensils, cooking teams, serving teams and much more

Fund Raising Leader - responsible to solicit and raise donations to cover the approximate $10,000 costs of the MHC chapter event

Squid Row
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:53 pm
Just to briefly update... our search for leadership for the Morehead City event in 2020 is still ongoing.

Jeff S has agreed to continue his leadership of the fund raising and Scott K has offered to continue his leadership on the volunteer boater side

All other positions still need help including someone to be the event leader

If interested please let me know

kicker30
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:03 am
Not sure how many of those roles can be effectively done from the triad area but Id be glad to help however I can.  

12ga
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm
KICKER; FROM EXPERICNCE BEING ON THE MAD BOARD CHARLESTON CHAPTER AND LIVING NEAR CHARLOTTE NC MOST OF THESE POSITION REQUIRE A TON OF LOCAL CONTACT..
I HANDLE ALL OF MY TASKS VIE E-MAIL WITH AN OCCASIONAL TRIP TO COLUMBIA TO MEET WITH SCDNR ... MESSAGE SCOTT OR SQUID FOR BETTER INFO AS TO WHAT NEEDS THEY HAVE THAT CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED LONG DISTANCE..
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN HELPING MHC MAD ........ wtg wtg wtg

12ga
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:51 pm
KICKER; FROM EXPERICNCE BEING ON THE MAD BOARD CHARLESTON CHAPTER AND LIVING NEAR CHARLOTTE NC MOST OF THESE POSITION REQUIRE A TON OF LOCAL CONTACT..
I HANDLE ALL OF MY TASKS VIE E-MAIL WITH AN OCCASIONAL TRIP TO COLUMBIA TO MEET WITH SCDNR ... MESSAGE SCOTT OR SQUID FOR BETTER INFO AS TO WHAT NEEDS THEY HAVE THAT CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED LONG DISTANCE..
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN HELPING MHC MAD ........ wtg wtg wtg

Squid Row
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:24 pm
After a lot of very vocal push back on postponing the Morehead City event, we have had exactly two people reach out to help out.

Scott K has volunteered to continue the Volunteer Boating Coordination aspect again and Jeff S has volunteered to continue as Fund Raising Leader

Other than that, no such luck in finding help.

WRT to doing it remotely, heck yes. I live outside Charlotte and have had a hand in every single event. Almost all of it can be done remotely except for the event President/Chapter Leader role.

Jump to: