Repairing a bent anchor - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Herc55
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:56 am
Bent my anchor last weekend. Only the long part that connects to the anchor chair. It bent near the spikes on the anchor about 45 degrees. Any way to fix this or is it trashed? It is a 22lb galvanized danforth style.

BarnacleBill
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:33 am
A machine shop should be able to straighten that for you.

ScottK
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:45 am
Anyone with a hydraulic press can straighten it. Machine shop is good suggestion if you don't have a buddy with one. Most auto shops will have a jack style operated press as well.

Titan
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:39 pm
Dang man you bent yours too? Remember how mine is bent as well. I am currently looking for a 22lb delta anchor and getting rid of the danforth for good. I am surprised that yours bent being that itís meant for a 30+ foot boat. Now that I think of it, was it you that laughed at my bent anchor? If so how does it feel? Could you post a picture of the bent anchor so all of SWC can get good laugh? 😂 🤣  

MealOnReels
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:43 pm
A Hi-Tensil will not bend like that at the shank.The flukes may bend on the right occasion but can be straightened with a bottle jack and some McGuiverism  

Squid Row
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:57 pm
I bent mine down in the Fl Keys last year and the only place that had one in stock wanted $150 for what is basically a $35 anchor, so I got creative.

Set the anchor in the driveway and slowly but methodically drove my SUV on top of it until I bent it enough to where it was usable again

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

Herc55
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:46 pm
Titan wrote:
Dang man you bent yours too? Remember how mine is bent as well. I am currently looking for a 22lb delta anchor and getting rid of the danforth for good. I am surprised that yours bent being that itís meant for a 30+ foot boat. Now that I think of it, was it you that laughed at my bent anchor? If so how does it feel? Could you post a picture of the bent anchor so all of SWC can get good laugh? 😂 🤣

Titan, Haha karma got me for laughing at yours😂. Guess we both got a taste of the crystal coast pretzel maker. I like the press idea, I will see if i can find a shop that will try bending it back for a reasonable price. Otherwise i may look for a high strenght one. This one could hold the titanic lol so id like to try and fix it.

SPEARIT
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:16 pm
Titan wrote:

I have a 22lb stainless steel Delta that I plan to sell soon. Email me, tcollins@ec.rr.com, if you are interested and I will send pics and details.

whitelightning
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:29 am
Iíve bent mine before also. I placed on a stump and took a sledgehammer and got it somewhat straight. Since then I drilled a hole further down the shank and connected my chain then use some bigger plastic wire ties to connect the chain to the top of the shank this way if you get it stuck the wire tie breaks and pulls the anchor up closer to its pivot point  

SouthernSon
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:43 pm
Try a pipe over the shank to Bend it back. All you need is close enough to work again. Then do as mentioned earlier with chain bolted to back of anchor. I use a copper ground wire on lead end and just bend back if it gets tripped.

HOTJOB3
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 am
If you get close to Sanford during the week you can bring it by my shop and we will try to straighten it for you.  

ScottK
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:33 am
Herc - Don't heat it whatever you do, might take the temper out of it and bend easier in the future. The quick release zip tie along the shank method works pretty well as other have stated. I know I have donated a nice CQR style anchor to a rock around the Tower before learning that the hard way...

HOTJOB3 wrote:
If you get close to Sanford during the week you can bring it by my shop and we will try to straighten it for you.

Sanford eh? We might be neighbors and didn't know it....

Jump to: