Garmin Inreach - SaltwaterCentral.Com

twoturnin
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:24 am
Son in KSAN fishing about 40 nm south of the border shot me a text with Garmin Inreach. I clicked on link in text, up popped his short message and location on a map from Garmin International Inc with L/L . Anyone using this unit. Priced around $450 or so. Looks pretty neat.

1999 24 Albie-16 Tracker-16 Lowe -12 jonboat-17 Mohawk-10 canoe

werewolf0711
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:18 am
Lots of guys using it. Not sure about on here but I have several friends. Was trying to sell a sat phone to get one. Might break down and get one anyway. Plans are cheaper than sat but Inreach only does tracking and text. No voice. Either way itís a useful item imo

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

rdnkvet
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:33 am
I have one from prior to Garmin taking control. Works great. Can increase or decrease plan as needed, but canít change more than once in a billing cycle.

RKForte
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:46 am
I have had mine for years now. The wife has a better peace of mind when I text her to say I will be a little late coming back in or whether we are on the fish or not. I turn my In Reach off in December and back on in March.
https://www.facebook.com/Fish-On-Forte-1664722677109936/

wavescrash
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:52 pm
I have had one for 4 years now. Big fan. Can pair with your phone via Bluetooth. Great peace of mind if you are running late for whatever reason, or get in trouble.  

jdunk
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:29 pm
I also use one and love it for peace of mind and if things turn bad. Very useful in my opinion for communication with family. A must if you spend countless days over 30NM. JMO... Got mine on sale for about 300 and bought an epirb too. Cant be too careful IMO.  

STICK-SLINGER
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:47 pm
I replaced my SAT phone with one.. love it
910-640-7772

SmokinJoe
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 pm
I had looked into satellite phones last year but with the limited number of trips I get to take offshore, it was hard to justify the plan costs. I bought one of the Inreach Explorer units instead and have been very satisfied with it and the cost of the plan. You can also log into your Inreach/Garmin account online and track all of your messages and locations.
I feel a little more secure knowing I have a way to contact help if I need it. You can also send a help message directly to the Inreach help line and they will contact help for you. I bought mine at The GPS Store in Ocean Isle Beach. I didn't know anything about these units and these folks were very helpful. They also sell online thegpsstore.com

twoturnin
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 pm
Walmart sells the older DeLorme model for $299 Garmin updated model with all the goodie charger etc is $479 Amazon. Thank folks, son LOVES his older model !

kicker30
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:25 pm
Iíve got a DeLorme as well and have been very happy with it. If buying again I would give the Spot X a good look though, it has its own keyboard, supposedly uses a dedicated telephone number rather than the kind of weird email addressish kind of thing the inreach messages show up as being from on the message receiverís end so they should be easier for someone else to send a message to and I believe the plans are a little cheaper, I believe the unit itself is also a little cheaper. I havenít used or handled one myself though to have any experience beyond just reading about it though.  

twoturnin
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:29 pm
Bought a Garmin Inreach that was a SNAP to sync or pair with my iPhone and Android pad. Added Navionics bathometric /sonar app to both units and KABOOM with Inreach and pad you have a very detailed map in your hot hands !

ScottK
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:55 pm
Old thread, yes I know but question for you InReach users: Do you have a separate GEOS SAR rescue insurance account with your device or just know/assume if you hit the SOS button the coasties will dispatch?

It's my understanding you need to have the separate insurance with GEOS

edit: I am talking in addition to an Epirb or PLB, just as a backup option, I myself have redundant EVERYTHING onboard or try to at least, yes it has helped us out on occasion too.

Last edited by ScottK on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

RKForte
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:59 pm
I do not have the GEOS SAR rescue insurance with my inReach. I figure that since I have the inReach, PLB and an EPIRB someone should get my distress signal.
https://www.facebook.com/Fish-On-Forte-1664722677109936/

ScottK
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:33 pm
RKForte wrote:
I do not have the GEOS SAR rescue insurance with my inReach. I figure that since I have the inReach, PLB and an EPIRB someone should get my distress signal.

Without a doubt Epirb is the best solution I was asking as a backup option, I should have been more clear and will edit my post to reflect that but, dude you are ready no questions there!

Jump to: