battery wiring switch problem - SaltwaterCentral.Com
Skirts for REEL Men

gshivar
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:09 pm
My son's boat has two 12 v batteries with battery switch. one battery does not charge with engine running but will take a charge from outside charger. Battery runs down, electronics go out. I have been boatiog a long time, but never delt with duel batteries. I used to know some electronics people but they are all old like me. Any suggestions to fix, or someone to hire to fix it. thank you. glenn shivar  

blueoceaneyez
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:18 pm
Before I say anything which switch does he have: acr add a battery -OR- the regular perko 1-2-both switch?
Online: www.SecondWindFishing.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SecondWindFishing
Instagram: www.instagram.com/capt.amanda.king

gshivar
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:56 pm
Thank you I will have to get back !!  

gshivar
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:14 pm
like the Perco 1 - 2 . thank you!  

blueoceaneyez
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:50 pm
I don't mean to sound rude but I have to ask, he does switch thru the batteries to charge each, right?

If he does that and it's not charging correctly, get the voltmeter out and start checking connectors at switch and batteries. Look for corrosion/replacement.
Online: www.SecondWindFishing.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SecondWindFishing
Instagram: www.instagram.com/capt.amanda.king

gshivar
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:40 am
It seems one battery is devoted to the engine starter and the other to everything else. Runs switch on "all". Does not switch batteries underway. I thought with switch on all, both batteries would charge. That is what an old man gets for thinking!!. Blueoceaneyez, Thank you so much! I miss your reports! thank you - glenn shivar  

Fishfull-Thinking
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:09 am
If it has worked fine in the past, then my bet (as Amanda mentions) is a corrosion issue.

With many electrical issues bad ground/corrosion is the problem. With electrical issues I always start with the simple stuff first. My suggestion is pop the Perko off and get to the battery cables and posts inside. Clean them up good with a wire brush and apply some dielectric grease and reassemble. Clean all the cable and post connections leading to and exiting the Perko.

Then clean the connections at the batteries. Clean the cables and battery posts and either put in the felt pads to minimize corrosion, or go to NAPA and get the spray can of battery corrosion treatment (basically it's kinda like a lacquer spray) and cover the battery connection after you clean and reconnect the battery cable.

Let us know what you find is the problem.

Good luck!

glacierbaze
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:41 pm
What kind of motor is he running?  

gshivar
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:40 am
suzuki  

MealOnReels
Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:30 pm
It's probably a bad cable/connection due to corrosion or the battery switch.On a side note..Running the battery switch on both can run into problems.If a cell goes bad in one battery it can cause both batteries to go dead.The acr add a battery setup is the way to go.  

gshivar
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:10 am
Thanks everyone. I thought with switch on "all" both batteries would charge. Obviuodly I was mistaken. good fishing - glenn  

MealOnReels
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:21 am
You are right.Both batteries should charge with switch on "all". The wiring to the dead battery is bad or the switch is bad  

MealOnReels
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:22 am
If it's not bad wires or bad switch...Is it wired correctly?The motor should be going to the common post on the switch.Also there should be a cable connecting the batteries negative posts  

glacierbaze
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:03 am
If Suzuki has an auxiliary charging cable, like Yamaha, it should be attached to one battery connection, and the main engine battery cable to the other. Then both batteries stay charged without switching. Dealers don't always connect the aux, or connect it to the main in the battery switch.  

MealOnReels
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:48 pm
Glacier,If the main engine cable is connected to the battery how could you kill the power to the motor?But using the aux charging wire to isolate one battery would work good.I would run the main engine cable to the common on battery switch,Leave switch on battery 1 and connect aux charge to battery 2 either at the switch(2) or to the battery(2).Each battery would be getting 1/2 of the charging amperage .Battery 1 would be only to start the motor.Battery2 would be isolated for electronics, pumps etc (house battery) preventing a voltage drop when starting and knocking out electronics

glacierbaze
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:39 pm
Battery connections referred to the connections inside the battery switch.  

MealOnReels
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:05 pm
I'm with you on that.There is on other thing to make this work.The electronics,pumps, lights,etc(house) need to be run to a separate battery switch connected to the house battery(2)This switch is needed to turn off the house battery(2) going to the electronics,etc (house)  

Jump to: