Commercial Fishing(gill nets, shrimping, shell fishing.....) - SaltwaterCentral.Com

oysterstew
Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:04 pm
Why is it that commercial fishing is regulated by people who are hired? I think this should be a voted position. Fishing regulations are becoming ridiculous. They seem to only benefit the angler, and not the ecosystem. How is allowing redfish and shark populations to grow helping anyone? If anything, it's cheating for anglers, and it's going to be the end of 80% of the rest of aquatic species. When was the last time anyone saw a "spot fish"? How about croakers, lizard fish, and hogfish? I've seen them, but I am on the water daily and nightly, and there is no dense populations of these fish. We need someone that isn't impressed by the dollar signs, and who cares about the environment. I am in the process of legalizing my native american status, so that these regulations won't apply to me. Then I'm going to gig the biggest red drum out there, by the masses too. Just cause 8)  

WAHOONBOX
Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:34 am
WOW....NO REPLIES TO THIS INTERESTING VIEW FROM 2010

JUST CURIOUS HERE 'STEW.....DID YOU RECEIVE YOUR NATIVE AMERICAN STATUS YET? I HOPE SO...
I HAVE MINE....

IT'S FUNNY YOU MENTIONED REDFISH AND SHARKS HERE....SEEMS THE WORLDS GREEN GROUPS - SAVE THIS AND SAVE THAT- WANT TO PROHIBIT TAKING OF ALL MARINE SPECIES ANYWAY BUT I PONDER MANY TIMES AS TO WHY IT IS ALWAYS "SAVE THE WHALE" OR GOD BLESS THE "SEA SHEPARD" ...OR MY MY AIN'T FLIPPER CUTE.....

WELL I GOT NEWS FOR YOU GREEN PEOPLE....FLIPPER IS A KILLER...A NATURAL BORN PREDATOR THAT EATS WAHOO TUNA BLUE MARLIN SAILFISH MAHI REDFISH TROUT CRABS SHRIMP SPOT CROAKERS, RAYS, LIZARD FISH, RIBBONFISH, TILE FISH, & TRIGGER FISH THE LIST NEVER ENDS...HE KILLS ALL OF IT AND FEEDS WITH RECKLESS ABANDON....SAVE FLIPPER MY ASS....MAYBE THIN THEM OUT A BIT WOULD HELP WITH CRUCIAL DECLINE IN PELAGIC STOCKS

ANYONE EVER SEE THAT NATGEO SHOW WHERE THE DIVER WAS FILMING THE BAITFISH BEING ATTACKED MY NUMEROUS MARINE KILLERS? THEN MR.60 TON FEEDING MACHINE PLOWED THROUGH THE BAITBALL AND ANNIHALATED THEM IN ONE GIANT GULP.....WHERE WAS THE JAPANESE WHALING FLEET WHEN YA NEEDED THEM? I MEAN ONE GIANT GULP AND HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF BAIT FISH JONAH'D UP ONLY TO RETURN TO THE SEA AS A PAST MEMORY.

I SAY MOTHER NATURE AND HER WRATH OF WEEKLY WIND WILL KEEP THE AMERICAN ANGLER AT BAY THUS ACTING AS A NATURAL BALANCE OF NATURE.....RATHER THAN DUMB REGULATIONS AND SANCTIONS ON OUR FISH BY THOSE THAT HAVE NEVER WET A LINE.

AND IF THOSE OF YOU WHO MAY POSSIBLY READ THIS FEEL SOMEWHAT OFFENDED BY MY KEYBOARD.....THEN MAY I SUGGEST YOU SHED YOUR BOAT OF GPS & FISH FINDER-TEMP GAUGE FOR YOUR NEXT TRIP AND I PROMISE YOU A REDUCTION IN FISH HARVESTING

I AM YET TO HEAR SOMEONE CRY "SAVE THE KREEL"....WHAT ABOUT SAVE THE MOSQUITO?

I'M WAHOONBOX....AND THAT'S MY HOME GROWN REMEDY REPLY

Capt. Cane
Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:42 am
Good to here from ya. And always intriguing

cya
Aftco
Anglers Marine
Electric Visual
Sanuk
Ocean Outfitters
www.holdenbeachfishingcharters.com

speckhunter80
Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:44 am
[img][/img]

Desert1
Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:41 am
One giant net hall and wow the whole school is gone too and flipper just like you is going to eat,its not the marine animals taking all the bait and fish its the land mammals  

GetdaGaff
Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:15 pm
BOX :tu: :tu:  

plowhandle
Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 pm
Had just got out of the service when I went fishing out of Englehard on the Pamlico Sound June, 1970. My brother's father-in-law said all we needed to do was find 20 ft of water and start drifting -- jigging spoons and grubs. In no time we caught enough 3- to 5-lb grey trout and 2-lb croaker to feed 20 people that evening's fishfry and another 5 lbs fillets to take home to Harrisburg,NC.
Did this annually for yrs until 80's when the factory ships with 8-mile-long impoundment nets encircled and vacuumed out almost all the fish from the sound. The grey trout fishery there has still not recovered. The biologists know what is needed for action, but the political appointees on NCMFC are heavily weighted to the commercial sector.
According to NCMFC's own studies, there are relatively few comm gillnet fishermen that make more than 10k dollars a yr netting. The real money is made by about 12 or 15 seafood companies who buy and sell the catch.
Our NC legislators cater to them and their lobbyists--not to the hundreds of thousands of NC citizens and tourists who would like to catch some fish.
Four yrs ago I asked a man at Cedar Island if he commercially fished. He said that for yrs he gill-netted and made a living, but there was not enough fish in 2008 to make a living doing it and that he had to take a job in Morehead City for he and his wife to survive. His wife had tears in her eyes when he told me that and when I thought about what had happened to the Pamlico Sound since 1970 I felt like crying too.

I'm with WAHOONBOX re porpoises--let the comm fishermen harvest THEM as far as I'm concerned. Several times I've seen them killing redfish in Elizabeth River and Dutchman's Creek. Have seen them go up cuts that are only 10 ft wide looking for trout and redfish!

Jump to: