I'm confused? - SaltwaterCentral.Com

kingkiller51
Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:17 pm
Attended the RFA-NC meeting in Carolina Beach tonight. Things seemed to get started in a positive fashion. I was impressed with the two lobbyists who seem to be very motivated to help those of us who are primarily interested in the resource..... Then the wheels started to come off! There was a charter Capt from Myrtle beach(Logan) who has been an RFA member for seven years,and seemed up to speed on the organization and its mission. Then,knowing the room was full of local charter captains,he proceeded to tell everybody that they were full of crap,and that For Hire Logbooks were a good thing. This guy was not even listed as a speaker..... One of the guys asked him if he were a "Plant" and I figured it was a great time to get out of there before fists started flying!  

Capt_Dave
Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:55 pm
I brought Captain Keith Logan into this fight YEARS ago. HE is one of the better informed folks you will meet.

This is not going to make me a lot of friends....but it is what it is...

I would rather see NCDMF with the logbooks than NOAA. NCDMF will help us fight Catch Shares where NOAA wants to shove them down our throats...and it is coming. Sector Separation, Catch Shares and MPA's (or whatever they call them) They are in the pipe and headed for a boat near you.

Keith I got your back.

Dave

olsaltydog
Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:39 am
I will agree with Capt Dave, better the state creates a for hire log book then the Feds. Either way it is coming, question will be, do you want to provide input on what it will be or be told what you will get.  

zigzag
Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:53 am
there is not anybody that works harder to see you keep fishing than Capt Keith Logan, if he says something, there is a good reason for it, but I'll guarantee you he fights the good fight to keep us fishing.  

BarryTurano
Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:05 am
I was at the meeting also. I was there for the "are you a plant?" comment. I can understand the gentleman's point. He we have the lobbyists talking about how this will go away. Then Capt. Kieth gets up and tells everyone it works. What he was saying is: It works in South Carolina. It may not work here. Luckily the comment went no further and the same explanation was given. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.Sometimes emotions override what is being said and not heard. Capt. Kieth gave his background in the beginning. It was probably missed by the gentleman. Because if it were heard the "plant" comment would not have been made. In any case it was a very good meeting. I trust good things will come from the organization.

USN Submarine Veteran
Knight of Neptune
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below

There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets

Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans

Cape Fear Anglers

Squid Row
Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:14 am
Might be a dumb question, but if NCDMF collects log book data, wont they just share it with NOAA Fisheries anyway?

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

markc
Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:07 pm
Man. I could write a book on all the BS that has gone on about the nc for hire logbook. I'll just say that the nc for hire logbook wasn't ever about protecting a resource, it was however going to be used to implement catch shares and for someone to be able to put a dollar amount on each fish we catch.
www.lucky13sportfishing.com

Capt_Dave
Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:44 pm
markc wrote:
Man. I could write a book on all the BS that has gone on about the nc for hire logbook. I'll just say that the nc for hire logbook wasn't ever about protecting a resource, it was however going to be used to implement catch shares and for someone to be able to put a dollar amount on each fish we catch.

Catch Shares are a Federal thing...

Inside 3 miles...Catch Shares? No. Not going to happen.

Outside 3 miles....That is a Federal Thing.

SAFMC is ALL about some catch shares.

This logbook is NOT coming down from the Feds. Not yet. It will soon enough.

NCDMF is a LOT of things....but I do not see them as a supporter of catch shares.

BUT....

I will make a phone call or two and see what I can find out.

Dave

Squid Row
Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:06 pm
markc wrote:
the nc for hire logbook wasn't ever about protecting a resource, ..

Almost nothing the SAFMC does is about protecting a resource unless the resource is their sorry asses!

Thanks for the info on the log book and for all of the work that RFA is doing to protect the rights of all fishermen

NCsqrlkiller
Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:00 pm
If NCDMF can't be trusted to manage our flounder fishery correctly, why the heck should we trust them with our log book data? If we give them log book data, what's to stop them from passing it along to NOAA?

I currently live and fish in SC. Log books work down here, because the commercial industry isn't allowed to take advantage of the resource. Comparing NC to SC is apples and oranges...

czoubek
Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:20 pm
The lobbyist, Chris Wall, is my brother in law and is great at what he does. If anyone can make this go away... he can, and he seems to think its a done deal.

Capt_Dave
Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:27 pm
I talked with several of the higher ups at NCDMF today....

It boils down to NMF is going to require them to collect X,Y and Z data and yes it will be passed onto the Feds.

The question is in HOW they do it. The idea behind NCDMF doing it was more of a customer service issue. They can change the format or method of collection pretty easy vs waiting on the FEDS to come in and require it to be collected there way.

You might get it stopped for the moment...but data collect from the For Hire industry is coming one way or the other. (Don't shoot the messenger)

I think the collection of "better" data is not a BAD idea. I think they just need to involved the user group better than they have on this effort.

Just my .02

Dave

Squid Row
Fri May 01, 2015 11:30 am
I'll admit at first I was opposed to the idea of a government mandated log book, but the more I think about it the more I can see it being a good thing if done properly.

Still not totally convinced but for years we have been screaming at SAFMC that their data sucks. They made up some bravo sierra about red snapper and sea bass stocks in the 1960s and then used that bravo sierra as the baseline to measure against.

Well the for hire log books in SC validated that the sea bass population specifically was substantially healthier than the NMFS models so the data from the log book proved out what fishermen were saying, that NMFS data was bad.

We now fish for sea bass all year long instead of just a few weeks.

So we either need to provide good data or live with the results of failed, flawed computer generated models

Jump to: